• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - SOS Brigade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPD51

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Those shelves are fantastic!

It actually looks like an anime store to me. Might I buy?
DizzyLikeQuantum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Has anybody seen this Genghis Khan moviefilm? I saw Mongol by Sergei Bodrov and thought it was absolutely spectacular-was wondering whether this (other) 2007 Genghis film was worth checking out or not.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you like this version of Negima better, Bamboo. Though, to me, with the pactio invocations this actually has MORE fanservice... I don't define fanservice as pantsu, but all the stuff...

As for the Anime Lounge? woah. very nice. I was most amused to see Dita on the shelf as well as Motoko? in her Miko outfit? Very nice indeed.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Everyone should own a copy of Gankutsuou. Wink
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Ghengis Khan: To the Ends of Earth and Sea doesn't just focus on the Great Khan's "good side," it completely invents a new side to call good. Now, I study the Mongolian Empire for fun, so I'm at least somewhat sympathetic to Ghengis Khan's strengths as a military and political figure, if not necessarily his ethics. However . . . spoiler[Ghengis Khan becoming a great feminist revolutionary due to an encounter with a random warrior princess is pretty hilarious.] (with spoiler tags because it will absolutely be a surprise to any historians). I LOLed at that one--to be fair, I pulled out some of my books first to make sure I wasn't forgetting something, but no, it's completely made up for the movie. I enjoyed the movie simply because I enjoy movies about my areas of academic interest, but historically accurate it is not. It tries in the beginning . . . but yeah.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Several things:
Project Blue Earth SOS looks fantastic. I'm definitely going to keep that on my radar. Love the campy look of the cover.

With the anime lounge (which I am envious of, incidentally), what is that case those Naruto manga are in? Is that shrink wrap over a cardboard box over... wooden shelves? What is this thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
I'm glad you like this version of Negima better, Bamboo. Though, to me, with the pactio invocations this actually has MORE fanservice... I don't define fanservice as pantsu, but all the stuff..

I've seen other people make this claim, but I honestly don't see how they could. Yes the pactio scenes are a bit much, but the first series has all sorts of boob-size comparisons, Asuna getting her clothes sneezed-off, and so on (remember Camus' entrance? spoiler[where he strips all the girls of their bathing suits?]). Much more exploitative content in the first one, considering that, the pactio scenes in the new version really can't compare.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
What in the world is that giant Naru thing in the corner by the DVDs...
boznia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Several things:With the anime lounge (which I am envious of, incidentally), what is that case those Naruto manga are in? Is that shrink wrap over a cardboard box over... wooden shelves? What is this thing?
Link
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I've seen the extras, having picked up the original Geneon singles a while back. Totally shelf-worthy. I've watched the series a good three or four times now.

As for cell phones, um . . . maybe the Parisian nobility just prefers good old-fashioned human interaction. Weren't they still running around with calling cards and hand-written letters?

Ah, if Gankutsuou was technologically consistent...you wouldn't have the great story!

But yeah, despite my own preferences for technological realism, it's a fantastic series, especially the art. With regards to the count, I retain a good deal of sympathy for him, even after the end of the series; he did get the short end of the stick after all, having to serve out his prison sentence. Though I won't contest that he was extremely manipulative.

Still, for me, the king of Really Evil Bastards you love to cheer for remains Light Yagami.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Still, for me, the king of Really Evil Bastards you love to cheer for remains Light Yagami.

No, that would be a toss-up between the Count and Lelouch. The only cheering I did for Light was at the end: spoiler[when he died, begging for his miserable life in the dirt]. And don't think I'm not pissed that the anime changed that! Anyone who got past his murder of spoiler[Naomi] and still supported him has, as far as I'm concerned, a seriously messed up moral compass. He never showed any doubt, any guilt, or any compassion for anyone other than a few family members - all so that he could turn himself into a god. He was a heartless self-absorbed teenage sociopath. There is no cheering for Light. None. Nada. Zip.

/ends rant
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I'm renting Gankutsuou via Netflix now... I'm REALLY liking it so far (should be getting volume 4 tomorrow or Wed). Truth is, it caught my attention when Geneon first came out with it, and I almost bought the first volume or 2... but then I decided against it. It might've been due to how I thought I just wouldn't be that intellectually immersed in it...but whatever, I'm loving it now.

Hopefully, I'll buy the series some day, and the box set makes it all the more convenient. However, I kinda wish a different cover art was used...isn't the displayed image just one gotten from one of the Geneon dvd inserts? I Kinda wish they did that real artsy, klimt-ish design that I've seen as one of the main illustrations for Gankutsuou (where Albert looks like he's "falling" into the Count).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
If I recall correctly, Bamboo panned the first volume of Project Blue: Earth SOS when it came out; glad to see you've come around to the side of seeing it as hokey, nostalgic fun.

Hmm, that answers my question on why a fairly positive review only ranks rental. I just figured she was staying reserved because it was a nice change, but held a sizable re-watch penalty, which would make sense for a series this short. Guess it needs to move back onto the maybe (likely not blind) pile.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Although it receives praise from all those who watch it, I'm not in a position to spend $60+ on Gankutsuou blindly, considering my current buying schedule. It'd be nice if a legal online stream were to be released.

Rightstuf has all 6 singles for $6 each at the moment. I bought them blindly from them when they were $10 each and was glad I did. The box set is more compact, but I like the reversible dvd covers.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Although it receives praise from all those who watch it, I'm not in a position to spend $60+ on Gankutsuou blindly, considering my current buying schedule. It'd be nice if a legal online stream were to be released.

Rightstuf has all 6 singles for $6 each at the moment. I bought them blindly from them when they were $10 each and was glad I did. The box set is more compact, but I like the reversible dvd covers.

Oh wow, I thought I was the only person who'd be nerdy enough to love the reversible dvd covers!

You see, in Japan, Gankutsuou was released 2 episodes to a DVD rather 4 (imagine the price tag on that!), with the result being that the American version would only use half the covers from the Japanese release. Well, instead of doing that, Geneon made the covers reversible, so you got all 12 gorgeous, gorgeous covers.

I would love it if someone would give a run-down on any other differences with the Geneon release, like extras etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4