• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kokoro Connect Staff Issues Statements on Performer's Treatment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Am I safe with the general understanding: The staff of Kokoro Connect tried to pull off some weird, dumbass PR stunt and then a bunch of people were catty jackasses about it, so now everbody's apologizing?

They pulled a nasty prank on a voice actor and are now doing damage control since Teh Internetz picked it up and blew it out of proportions.
polemarch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
They pulled a "prank" indeed, that involved a crushing a guy's dream by inviting him to a fake audition, then humiliating him on public broadcast via NicoNico and laughing at him.

jl07045 wrote:
They pulled a nasty prank on a voice actor and are now doing damage control since Teh Internetz picked it up and blew it out of proportions.

This doesn't make any sense. What would be the benefit from doing this? And where would be the relation to the anime?

The intention explained in the update makes much sense, as it also does have a connection to the anime story-wise.
N.R.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
There are two things you need to know about Kokoro Connect:

1. It's a great series.
2. The staff members are idiots.

I don't know what you call it when someone tells you you got a job and later makes fun of you on stage and gives you another job (that you didn't audition for); I call it bullying and insulting. Shame on them. This backfired on them and soiled their reputation. Sadly it will might also harm the reputation of the series. Worst PR ever.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
The way that they're handling this is a token example of how Japan [well maybe Asia in general] handles 'apologies'.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
You love Terashima?
It IS a fact that he said "it's beatiful to see a man's hopes crumble" or something along that line, look it up.

I think that's pretty hilarious in itself. Anime hyper I like him because of his voices as Touma Amagase in Idolm@ster 2 and as Sui Orla in Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu. :3
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
All in all, it sounds like Heartseed is their REAL head of PR.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
And such a fantastic series has to be marred by controversy >>

This is why we can't have nice things.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
Everyone make mistakes, let us forgive and forget. Because humans are not so perfect. Rolling Eyes
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I watched the video clips on niconico, etc, and it really did look to me like Ichiki was miserable. It was said in the second updated apology that the staff asked him to play the part so maybe his acting is just that good. Ichiki did mention that he really was taken by at the first event though where they revealed the prank.

I'm a fan of Terashima's and I also like Ichiki and regularly follow him on Twitter. (Yes-- I actually know who Ichiki is and have known for years though he is still minor. I also wondered since the beginning of the series why the heck he was chosen to do PR when he's a seiyuu.) I did have my doubts about all this because Terashima and Ichiki are good friends (they're part of "Sugita-gumi"), so it was quite shocking to me when I heard Terashima say those things on the radio show and at the event. I also wondered why all this was brought into the light now when the original event was in June (iirc) and the segment where Ichiki was guest on Sugita's radio show was in July. Even with these doubts though I was shocked to see/hear what happened and Ichiki's reaction definitely convinced me that he wasn't enjoying what was going on.

So while I understand that it is not likely that Terashima would bully Ichiki, perhaps because of their "performance" I was led to believe that is exactly what was going on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that while everyone's saying that the audience misunderstood and that this was never their intention, etc, they made the audience misunderstand via the way they acted so it's pretty unfair of them to just say, "Oh you guys all took it the wrong way." How are we supposed to take it when Ichiki's acting/looking so miserable?

To be honest, with all the "apologies" flooding in from official sources at around the same time, I can't help but think that they were just made to write all that. I still find it hard to believe that Terashima would bully Ichiki and it most likely wasn't the case, but in this situation, I don't think anyone would come out and say, "Yes, we were bullying him. Sorry you guys noticed." Whether the whole prank thing really was just a joke that got out of hand or not, this all sounds like one big cover-up.

Anyway, hope it's over now.
bradc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
There are two things you need to know about Kokoro Connect:

1. It's a great series.
2. The staff members are idiots.

I don't know what you call it when someone tells you you got a job and later makes fun of you on stage and gives you another job (that you didn't audition for); I call it bullying and insulting. Shame on them. This backfired on them and soiled their reputation. Sadly it will might also harm the reputation of the series. Worst PR ever.

Part of the staff members and certain seiyuu involvement fault who thought it was a "great idea" to execute such melodramatic situation as a "prank", until where the internet blew it up into proportions because of what they said and thought it was funny on such social medias like Twitter, in which the whole misunderstanding turned into a shitstorm even after the event.

Bullying in Japan is sensitive subject but still it doesn't give them right to do such thing to the minor voice actor either. As they should reflect upon their actions whether it was real or not as their fanbase seems to have taken it very seriously.

Mitsuhiro Ichiki was the voice for Yukio in Bleach's Lost Agent/Full Bring Arc.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
bradc wrote:

And Shiroyan in Kaichou wa Maid sama!, which also starred Terashima as Ikkun.
bradc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
bradc wrote:

And Shiroyan in Kaichou wa Maid sama!, which also starred Terashima as Ikkun.

There is a seiyuu clip from Kaichou no Maid-sama with them together.

But the joke was taken too far with some repetitiveness on the radio program from what was being said and got taken out of context. And with the producer being the mastermind behind it, and as well as the staff thought it was funny, until someone's feelings were actually hurt even if it wasn't intentional.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quite honestly I don’t believe this new spin about the double double prank (it just doesn’t add up to me) and it seems their way to try to extinguish an already big fire when their previous not an apology didn't work.

That being said I sincerely hope for the best for Ichiki with this new role and any future roles.

Also I am not that familiar with Terashima but I don’t find anything “admirable” about him concerning this affair.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, is this really the first time this story has appeared on ANN? There are a couple hundred postings about this "prank" and its aftermath on that "site that may not be named" but whose initials are AS. If you want a more complete retelling of this saga, I suggest you look there. There has been some disturbing "collateral damage" inflicted on people like Kitamura Eri who had to shut down her Twitter account as a result.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Kinda sad that this scandal is gonna kill Kokoros sales in Japan, ruining any chance of a 2nd season it might have had. But hey, otakus taking bullying seriously, so its to be expected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7