• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Honestly...

I think some of you are a bit too cynical.

Yu-Gi-Oh the Movie wasn't the BEST movie I've ever seen, I'll grant you that, but it wasn't that bad. The shocker isn't that Yugi will win, but HOW Yugi will win. That's the way it is in the series, and that's why the series and the movie was so interesting to watch.
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Steventheeunuch"]See, the difference between Yu-Gi-Oh! and Batman is that Yu-Gi-Oh! has no shame when it comes to selling what it has. By watching the first two uncut volumes, the concept and excecution of all plot devices and what not are entirely card centric. You've got occasional emotional talk before we head straight back into THE HEART OF CARDS DOLOMENER THE INDESTRUCTIBLE FIVE CARD SWEEPING DARK MAGE FIRE!!!!! [/quote]

The problem with the first few episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters is that they have way too much to explain in the time they have. They have a lot of back story that was in "Season 0" that has to be explained on the fly. If you knew the whole story, you'd know that Kaiba's duel with Yugi was a lot more involved, with Kaiba setting about a half dozen death traps for Yugi before they even got to the duel. Kaiba's duel with Yugi was rushed for the sake of getting the Duelist Kingdom arc started faster.

[quote]Batman may have it's fair share of merchandise, but it's not as if Batman sat around all day saying "MAN MY BATMOBILE IS SO COOL MAN I WISH I HAD MORE OF THEM AND LOOK I HAVE ANOTHER ONE BUT ITS ACTUALLY GREY HOOK BATMOBILE XTREME!". The Batman cartoons relied on actual characters, situations and events that weren't always PRODUCT X IS THE BEST, USE PRODUCT X![/quote]

I was talking about THE BATMAN, not Batman:The Animated Series. BTAS was a great show. The Batman is a half-hour long commercial for toys. I stopped watching The Batman when Batman used a mech to fight Bane. Yes, that actually happened.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Indeed...

The first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters is an entire story arc compressed into a single episode.

Yugi and company get invited to the KaibaLand theme park where Kaiba makes his ultimatum through a less-than-subtle means: he crushes Sugoroku (who he kidnapped) in a game of Duel Monsters with his three Blue-Eyes White Dragons and rips up Sugoroku's own precious Blue-Eyes in front of a cheering audience. He then leaves Sugoroku at the mercy of his virtual reality simulator and threatens to allow him to die in there unless Yugi agrees to face Death-T, the Amusement Park of Death.

Five levels of chaos, starting with a deadly game of laser tag against trained mercenaries with real guns, then a roller coaster ride through a haunted house with all the occupants strapped to seats that will electrocute them if they make a sound, then a room rapidly filling up with falling blocks (where Honda apparently sacrifices himself to save the rest of the group), then a rematch with Mokuba at Capsule Monster Chess (where Kaiba cruelly throws him into the virtual reality simulator when he loses, only for Yugi to save him), and finally the rematch with Kaiba, which is more or less exactly what you saw in the anime. Only Gaia the Dark Knight slicing up Saggi the Dark Clown was much more satisfying. Anime smile

Oh, and just so you know, the original line is "Ikari no Gouka! Exode Flame!"

As a matter of fact, the beginning of the episode (up until Sugoroku is kidnapped) was taken from the FIRST Duel Monsters story in the manga, where Kaiba stole Sugoroku's Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Yugi challenged Kaiba to a Duel to get it back, and when Kaiba was cornered by Yugi's Summoned Demon, he slipped the stolen Blue-Eyes in to win. But the dragon destroyed itself rather than betray its true master, and Yugi defeated Kaiba, trapping him in an illusion where the monsters are real and out to get him. (This is the reason for the virtual reality simulator: Kaiba's attempt to steal Yugi's thunder in that regard. And this is also why Kaiba destroyed Sugoroku's Blue-Eyes White Dragon.)

Speaking of which, Sugoroku is the only one who talks about the "Heart of the Cards" in the original. Also, instead of it being like "the Force" from Star Wars, it's the notion Sugoroku believes in that if you treasure something, it gains a heart of its own. That's the idea behind why the BEWD destroyed itself in the first Duel with Kaiba.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2