• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would you step out of your comfort zone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm willing to step out of my comfort zone, but more often then not I don't enjoy it, sometimes I do, most of the time though....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lRCPttoMgYM/TbmIYgYjFAI/AAAAAAAAAAw/wpTtkxTRpmA/s1600/excaliburface.jpg
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, my comfort zone has a large radius as I like nearly every genre, so I don't really need to step out of it since just about everything is covered. I wouldn't hesitate to do so if something looked interesting or if it was by an animation studio I like or had staff whose work is usually great. As for current anime, we have been in a lull the past couple years as far as quality, but I could still find 5-10 shows out of each season to entertain me. Even if they weren't masterpiece material, they were still worth watching. I'd say that's good enough. I've been following current anime for about ten years and the ratio of shows I find entertaining hasn't really changed much.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about stepping out of mine because after 9 years or so in anime fandom, I'm pretty comfortable in my comfort zone. I generally have a pretty good idea of what I will like and what I won't.

But I agree that there are still lots of great shows coming out. You just have to know what to look for (and it also often helps to wait to read some opinions about shows too, before investing too much of your time/bandwidth into them).
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Your title and opening post seem kind of... disconnected. Since many of the previous posts share my opinion about the quality of recent anime, I'll reply to the title instead. I regularly go outside of my comfort zone, to the point where I don't really have one anymore. I enjoy horror and darker anime the most, but this season I'm watching a historical romance, animal comedy, sci-fi/fantasy action, high school drama, and a parody comedy and enjoying all of them. About the only thing I try to avoid is romance, but even then I can enjoy it if it has some other factor that it does well (like Ouran's comedy or Fruits Basket's characters). So basically, I'll watch almost anything that's good, no matter what the genre.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
@ DanielCook

Since you seem to feel that none of the current anime is any good, just where would you have us step to?? You seem to be more concerned with the "comfort zones" of the anime studios. Unfortunately, even if they had sold out to the masses, those masses do not reside in North America. Consequently, nothing we say or do here, no change to our viewing habits is going to have any impact on the content of any anime that is likely to be made.

Even if you can't find anything new to watch (which given the sheer numbe of shows coming out is a bit incredible) there is a huge backlog of titles available. If you can't find anything there, you might want to reconsider your hobby, you probably don't like anime after all.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, the issue isn't MY comfort zone, it's Japan's--
They don't feel comfortable making mainstream anime anymore, and now just tailor to niche fanservice fetishes, since they backhandedly believe that's the "majority" of their audience.

Watching Ouran Host Club would be stepping out of my comfort zone, and I'd rather have more opportunity available not to do it. Shocked
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
So EricJ, what is your comfort zone? Because I can point you to recent titles that you may like but I first need to know the sorts of things you wish to avoid.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
They don't feel comfortable making mainstream anime anymore, and now just tailor to niche fanservice fetishes, since they backhandedly believe that's the "majority" of their audience.

That's odd, I'm watching quite a number of mainstream anime right now. Battle Spirits: Sword Eyes just started. There's also Gintama and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal II coming soon. Also currently airing is Detective Conan, Sazae-san, Shin-chan, Doraemon, One Piece, Naruto, Pocket Monsters Best Wishes, Rock Lee, Tamagotchi, Phi Brain, Jewelpet, Inazuma Eleven, Pretty Rhythm, Toriko, Hunter x Hunter, Smile Precure, Cardfight!! Vanguard, and quite a number of others. Not sure how you concluded Japan doesn't make mainstream anime anymore. There's at least 20 mainstream shows right now.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
EricJ wrote:

That's odd, I'm watching quite a number of mainstream anime right now. Battle Spirits: Sword Eyes just started. There's also Gintama and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal II coming soon. Also currently airing is Detective Conan, Sazae-san, Shin-chan, Doraemon, One Piece, Naruto, Pocket Monsters Best Wishes, Rock Lee, Tamagotchi, Phi Brain, Jewelpet, Inazuma Eleven, Pretty Rhythm, Toriko, Hunter x Hunter, Smile Precure, Cardfight!! Vanguard, and quite a number of others. Not sure how you concluded Japan doesn't make mainstream anime anymore.

Well, probably from the fact that most of those you quoted are perennial favorites from years and years back.

Nowadays, I remember watching the "return" of Slayers R/Evolution, brought back from out of the dim 90's-mainstream past, and...yep, there was the blank robot maid, right on schedule. Sad
kounoupi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
I was a little bit confused with the title and the content of this thread. When I read the title I was excited because last week I took a huge step out of my comfort zone and I have to admit that I really enjoyed it.
To your response, many things that I wanted to say are already been said and I agree with many posts here. The only thing I would like to add is this. Anime is a product for the masses. It’s not a dandified or pretentious piece of art for the selective few, which takes specific knowledge of the subject or a very high level of perception of aesthetic to understand. Anime are produced for the masses, for the majority of the population. They should care about of what people want to see (and they should care about making money, that’s how they pay and invest to the people who work very hard to make more –and in time, better- anime). In mass production you can’t think the individual.
Even if you are one of the selective few I think you will find in this industry something that you will enjoy, but you also must know that the frequency and the number of those things are equal to the number of the people who address to, just a few and far apart. But eventually something will turn up.
As far as the genre tendency, I do what many people here suggested; I go back in time and find the anime that fit my tastes. It doesn’t have to be new, just new to me.
Or I get out of comfort zone and watch something that I thought I wouldn’t enjoy (and as mentioned worked pretty well for me).
I really can’t judge the future of a well established industry (that survived an economic crisis) based on one or two episodes of a couple new season shows, or just a few series of a specific year (a masterpiece may take long to write).
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
kounoupi wrote:
Anime is a product for the masses. It’s not a dandified or pretentious piece of art for the selective few, which takes specific knowledge of the subject or a very high level of perception of aesthetic to understand.

Nakamura Kenji might disagree. What I found especially remarkable is that a show as aesthetically unique as Mononoke could sell over 12,000 DVD copies. I thought that said a lot about the Japanese audience.

Hyouge Mono is an anime that is focused on aesthetics, in this case the design of tea implements. It's set in the Sengoku period and tells the story of the conflicts to unify the Japanese state through the eyes of one of Nobunaga's vassals.
kounoupi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
yuna49
I’m sorry. You have a valid point. Just to clear myself, I didn’t say that anime doesn’t have any aesthetic value nor that they are simple minded without any depth.
What I was trying to say was that anime is a form of art that the majority of common people can understand and appreciate. For example it’s not like a painting that only has colors with no shape and to be able to understand and appreciate is to analyze every little brush and know what exact colure the painter used and what that means, but is more, let’s say, Like a painting that illustrates a landscape (I hope I’m being understood).
I also said that more complex works with great aesthetic value and unique content can be found in anime, but not in season base.
I’m not saying that anime is trash. I’m not saying that the people who watch anime don’t have a sense of aesthetic. I am saying that anime have an artistic value that can be enjoyed by me and as well as a university professor of fine arts.
I’m trying my best to explain what I’m saying. I really don’t want to insult anybody.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Both of shows mentioned above are rare birds made by studios that can risk because there have made enough money on popular projects. Even Tezuka had to earn on children shows, to make his experimental projects.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Well, probably from the fact that most of those you quoted are perennial favorites from years and years back.

Years and years? Those are all currently airing right now. You said there was no 'mainstream anime' and I just listed 20. Seems like there's plenty of mainstream anime to me.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Judging solely by what I've seen already we do seem to be trending downward. The last couple years in particular I haven't seen much that I'm impressed with. Madoka obviously was great. Fate/Zero was decent and Fujiko Mine was interesting. That's all though.

That said, there are some major mitigating factors here: Firstly, Chiharafuru and Bunny Drop sound quite excellent by all rights. I'm just not really interested in either of them. It seems like they could certainly be added to my list though if I felt inclined to watch them.

Also, I still have a number of things to watch. Tiger & Bunny, Kids on the Slope, and to a lesser extent Tsuritama all have the potential to be really great. And, on top of that, we've still got another fall season coming up to round out 2012.

So who knows. I'll have to reassess the situation at a later date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8