• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sodium Hypochlorite

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cait

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I tried for years to like Banana Fish, but could never quite appreciate it. I didn't mind the art, and found the characters interesting, but I couldn't get past how incredibly unrealistic it was, despite trying very hard for realism. It's got that problem where a foreigner tries too hard to recreate a culture they're not really that familiar with (likely experiencing only through movies and TV), and ends up making all sorts of mistakes that natives would find laughable. (For example, mixed race street gangs, and homosexual Italian mafia dons.) Perhaps I'm too much of a realist, but as a New Yorker I found much of its inherent worldview far too ludicrous to take seriously.

I know it's being nit-picky to correct you on something so small, but Dino isn't Italian, he's Corsican, which is part of France (you know, like in Noir). On other points I'll defer to musouka.

Personally, I loved Banana Fish. The art didn't bother me in the least, especially when you consider the fact that it predated computer technology being widely used in the production of manga. Locations/backgrounds were fairly distinct, even if they were raw. The story was never meant to be "non-stop action," so much as "continously flowing forward." It's shojo, so any attempt to judge it based on the standards used for shonen action series is pointless. It's also not BL, just like it. It even predates the genre as a whole, anyway.

In any event, good luck to those trying to track the volumes down. It's been out of print from Tokyopop for years at this point. I'm glad I picked it up before the volumes were all published.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
@Cait, actually, it's Viz, not Tokyopop. It might be josei and not shojo as well. I think at this point they're mostly easy to still track down most of the volumes but I don't think that'll be true for very long (as is it's difficult to get a hold of volume 3). I only got them all this past winter, so it's still doable at this point.

I think the art bothered me in early volumes, but as it went on it improved. Like the first 5 or 6 volumes kinda had some scenes that looked a tad lazy, but after that it improved a lot.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I think it was around the chapters in volume 18 of FMA that I was starting to get pretty tired of the Briggs arc. And worse, afterwards were the ridiculously lengthy battles with Pride.

I still don't think these battles are as long as you make them out to be. Especially if you consider that Pride is the strongest homunculus and these battles were heavily broken up. So each chapter was not just the Pride battle, there was other stuff going on as well. At the very least I find fights on average much shorter than your typical shounen series.

I will say that Fullmetal Alchemist does seem to have less one on one fights as the series goes on. I prefer one on one fights to fights with a lot of characters because yeah then sometimes it is hard to zero in on individual character moments during battles. But then I don't read Fullmetal Alchemist for the fight scenes. I am more interested in the plot & characters.

As for keeping track of all the characters I never felt it was an issue. At least not with the major characters. I tend to focus on core characters in a group and go from there.

Fullmetal Alchemist isn't some shonen tournament, its a war between humans and Homunculi. Why wouldn't the humans gang up on the homunculi.

One of the things I hate about shounen is how many times the battles end up being one on one fights in which people watch other people get their ass kicked and sometimes die.

Yeah it makes sense if this is some shonen tournament but frequently its not. Dragonball Z was easily the biggest offender

Something you have to remember is that Hiromu Arakawa does break the fights up, so the fights are frequently in various stage. The problem the reviewer had is that he failed to break the fight up into the three parts Hiromu Arakawa wrote it in.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Fullmetal Alchemist isn't some shonen tournament, its a war between humans and Homunculi. Why wouldn't the humans gang up on the homunculi.

One of the things I hate about shounen is how many times the battles end up being one on one fights in which people watch other people get their ass kicked and sometimes die.

Yeah it makes sense if this is some shonen tournament but frequently its not. Dragonball Z was easily the biggest offender

First of all I was not being critical of Arakawa because her fights were not tournament style. The Fullmetal Alchemist manga does have one on one fights and yet these fights are never anything like what you describe. I understand why more of the later fights turn out to be large groups fighting at once but in terms of my own personal enjoyment I think its more fun to read fight scenes when you focus on only two characters fighting at once because then it is easier to follow the characters movements. That doesn't mean I expect the manga to be like DBZ where you keep moving up to a stronger opponent. And yes I am very glad there is no endless commentary about character's fight moves in Fullmetal Alchemist.

But as I said above I don't read Fullmetal Alchemist for the action scenes. However the action scenes that are in the series never take away from what I do love about FMA and that is the plot and characters.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@Cait, actually, it's Viz, not Tokyopop. It might be josei and not shojo as well. I think at this point they're mostly easy to still track down most of the volumes but I don't think that'll be true for very long (as is it's difficult to get a hold of volume 3). I only got them all this past winter, so it's still doable at this point.

I think the art bothered me in early volumes, but as it went on it improved. Like the first 5 or 6 volumes kinda had some scenes that looked a tad lazy, but after that it improved a lot.

You're right, it was Viz. I don't know why I didn't turn my head to the right and actually look at the bookshelf where it is sitting, and just assumed it was Tokyopop. I guess because Viz seems to shy so far away from the BL genre entirely I assumed it wouldn't be them (but then again they also licensed the near-genre Descendants of Darkness).

As for availability, my point was that it would be hard to track all the volumes down because there are simply so many of them (19) and the series never sold all that well, so I really don't think it has been reprinted particularly recently. It wasn't outright BL (probably turning the instant gratification fangirls off), the art was rough, the "action" was low-key and the story was so dark.

As for the art, I feel like a lot of people who switch from anime to manga expect manga art to have the same standard that anime art uses and when it doesn't or it is rougher, they are more easily turned off. I've heard tons of people complain that they loved the Gravitation anime, but they couldn't get through the manga (which, to be perfectly honest, runs circles around the anime storywise) because the artwork was so rough in it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Tsushomei wrote:
You don't have to point it out in every f****'n review! Ugh screw this shit. Dipshits like the ANN staff never listens anyway.

Oh, we listen, especially when forumites complain about a post made by other forumites.

You need to cool your jets, friend. Disagreeing with a review is fine; throwing a tantrum over it isn't. If they bother you that much, don't read them!

And since you seem to be trying to provoke the mods to do something, I'll oblige. Offending post has been moderated, and so has the writer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
To Tsushomei:
I can understand being upset when your favorite series gets low scroe.
However, not everything can be an A+. This must be reserved for the best of the best. Otherwise, what will the score really signify?
liannesentar

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Banana Fish is overrated, since it pretty much spoon-feeds you all the "surprises" and pulls back on the potential action and adventure in favor of conversations. It's not bad, if you're looking for something slow, but if you want excitement, you could do better than BF.

Overrated? Are you serious? Banana Fish is one of the most beloved comics of the past thirty years in Japan, yet it sold very, very poorly in North America, despite multiple editions and a ton of promo from Viz. Is it overrated because a few of the top manga experts in the English-speaking world rave about it, but that doesn't translate to the average manga reader (or even a fair number of critics) ever picking up a single volume? I've heard Banana Fish called a number of things, but "overrated" just seems unfair.

And sometimes pulling back the action in favor of "conversations" is what you need to make a well-rounded comic. And slow? You mean "suspenseful" with "downtime to up the drama quotient and fill out the story"?

To each his/her own, but...I don't feel like we read the same comic here.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, Banana Fish has very few ratings in the encyclopedia (one of them is mine!)
If even 1 more person goes out and reads Banana Fish because of this, mission accomplished I say. I would secretly like to make a cult devoted to it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy watching and reading Bleach. In fact, I've enjoyed purchasing the manga of Bleach for several years now. I've been watching the Bleach anime since September 2006 (which was the first time in nearly a decade I heard Johnny Young Bosch voice in nearly a decade.)

My only problem is the fanservice with Orihime. She is a very likeable character(I also like her English voice actor), but the fanservice doesn't help her out at all. Which is why I seriously wish Kubo made her 18 instead of 15-16.

But I read two chapters of Samuari Heaven and found it quite bland and typical. But Youkai Doctor seems rather interesting, but I have to read the first volume to really tell if this manga will be fun to read or not.

But when I think Banana Fish, I think of Banana birds from Donkey Kong. Its pretty obvious, but Donkey Kong is a video game and not a anime though.
cieran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Quote:
There's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium ...

You win points for a Tom Lehrer reference Smile

I was wondering who else might get that. Now it's stuck in my head, so I may have to go poison some pigeons in the park, just to get it out! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2