• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rightstuf changes Free Shipping policy for Canadians.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I do find a 250$ minimum a rather humorous amount. With canadian post price increases all of you should have seen this coming, though.

the best option would be for you guys to pay for you own shipping per unit but have a low cost method such as parcel post or air mail which sadly probably does not exist.

you know what?
One of you should start a batch shipping service like shopping mall japan. Have everyone pay for their orders to a single person and then he can place the actual order and ship it to the border. Then someone has to go drive and pick it up - wallah! free shipping.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
@potatochobit
Nice idea, except the people posting from Canada are spread from coast to coast. There is more than one city in Canada, didn't you know that?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@potatochobit
Nice idea, except the people posting from Canada are spread from coast to coast. There is more than one city in Canada, didn't you know that?

Not true! There is only one city in Canada: Toronto*

*Ya know, I honestly can't figure out why the rest of Canada hates us so much. It's weird.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@potatochobit

Not true! There is only one city in Canada: Toronto*

Vancouver would like a word with you. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I suppose that technically you could say the US has a single city on the east coast. it runs from roughly Boston to just below Washington. They just haven't gotten around to adjusting the borders to put it under a single municipal government.

We have a couple of additonal cities on the West Coast and there is rumor of one just below the lakes.
manicli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well for Canada the 2 major cities that watches anime I think would be Vancouver and Toronto, we can just ignore every other city Razz I kid I jk but the majority would be in those 2 cities I would think.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
While I understand the reasoning behind this increase (and I thank you Shawnek for explaining it here), the fact that the minimum amount went up 66% still baffles me. And those changes are effective as of today without any kind of prior notice? That's even more lame, but I guess everything's been said on that matter.

As things stand now, I know I personally won't be able to afford making more than one or two orders a year until this get fixed (down from 3 to 4).But what saddens the most is I have friends who usually don't buy anime but religiously order at least once a year from you during the November/December sales. 150$ was a decent minimum to hit, but 250$ is way out of the ball park for most of them. That's "anime" money that won't be spent anywhere else since like you said there are no real other options, and that to me, is a real shame.

I'll be crossing my fingers for a quick resolution to all this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm just curious but isn't there an amazon canada? no where else to order from?
I support them, but rightstuf doesnt always have the best prices. I know certain things you can't really get elsewhere like aniplex titles.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I'm just curious but isn't there an amazon canada? no where else to order from?
There is, but Amazon.ca is bloody expensive. We are talking about $60 for just part one of A Certain Magical Index expensive.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
you know what?
One of you should start a batch shipping service like shopping mall japan. Have everyone pay for their orders to a single person and then he can place the actual order and ship it to the border. Then someone has to go drive and pick it up - wallah! free shipping.

This is not exactly what you're talking about but I've actually been wondering about something somewhat similar to this. I live right on the border and I always just send my packages to the US and then go and pick them up. I wonder if there could be a possible business in doing this on behalf of others as well.

You get free shipping to the US for a mere $50 at Rightstuf so Canadians could easily send their stuff to the US for free. Then I could go down and pick it up and bring it to Canada and ship it from Canada to them. Of course that would still cost money but people could easily be saving as much as $40-50 between paying for shipping directly from Rightstuf in the US and in the excessive border fees and taxes we all seem to pay these days.

On the other hand, I'd have to charge enough to: A) cover the cost of shipping it to them from Canada B) make it worth my while (this would take some serious work after all). That could easily be as much as $20-30 (I'd have to do a lot more research to know for sure). If it costs that much though I don't know how many people would be into it. It might be cheaper to just get it off Amazon or worth it to simply save up for a long time and get Rightstuf's free shipping. So I don't know. The economics of it may simply not work out. Of course, there's also issues involving the border. I never get charged tax myself but they might if I'm bringing over stuff for others or bringing stuff back in great quantity.

Anyway, it's not something I'm on the verge of doing by any means. But given this news I might just look into it further at some point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
@fireaxe - I don't know if the friends you have who order at Christmas live in the same city or not, but if they do, they could combine their $150 orders together, have the package sent to one address and still get the free shipping.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@fireaxe - I don't know if the friends you have who order at Christmas live in the same city or not, but if they do, they could combine their $150 orders together, have the package sent to one address and still get the free shipping.

I'd be simple if it was the case but sadly it's not... Some might manage to work something out, but I know most won't be able to.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ouch.

I'm a fairly regular customer at TRSI (in fact, it's pretty much the only place where I buy my anime) and can count on one hand the number of times in past years I didn't ordered above $ 150 so I could get free shipping. As others have mentioned, the money you save on free shipping is quickly taken over by the outrageous custom / taxes fees which wavers around a fifth of the total amount ($ 35 on my last order which totaled around $ 160 - $165. )

So I guess my choices are stripped down to :

- Making smaller orders, maybe 1 or 2 boxsets at a time to keep the bill under $ 50 in order to escape the claws of the customs agents but pay $10-14 shipping. Add maybe an extra $ 15 if the package gets delayed at the customs.

- Making ridiculous orders at over $ 250. I may get free shipping but will probably pay in excess of $ 50-60 worth of taxes.

In either case, it's about an extra 20 % - 25% added to the amount that is bought.

While I understand it all comes down to a business decision, and the option for free shipping is still available, I think that a minimum of $ 250 is excessive. It's a tough pill for the customer to swallow but like everything else, there's nothing those at the far end of the stick can do about it. Guess better stock up in the Black Friday / Christmas sale because I think purchases are going to get few and far between in the future.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Sensei Terry Silver wrote:

- Making smaller orders, maybe 1 or 2 boxsets at a time to keep the bill under $ 50 in order to escape the claws of the customs agents but pay $10-14 shipping. Add maybe an extra $ 15 if the package gets delayed at the customs.

- Making ridiculous orders at over $ 250. I may get free shipping but will probably pay in excess of $ 50-60 worth of taxes.

Your calculations are wrong.

When you order from TRSI and get free shipping, you are only paying two things: 1) a $9.95 "handling fee" that the bloodsuckers at Canada Post charge you for taking your package from Canada Customs and delivering it to you and for collecting the sales tax from you which they then turn around and give to Revenue Canada; and 2) the sales tax owed on your items. The sales tax varies from province to province. Alberta, for example, has no provincial sales tax, so you only would get dinged the 5% GST. Ontario, where I live, has the Harmonized Sales Tax which is at 13%. So a TRSI package sent to Ontario consisting of $250.00 CAD worth of goods would cost you a total of $32.50 sales tax + $9.95 handling fee = $42.45.

The difference between TRSI and many Amazon.com marketplace sellers is that the marketplace sellers don't charge you sales tax, even though technically, they are supposed to. TRSI does because they are too big to fly under the radar. But given that the most usual charge to ship a single DVD from the US through Amazon.com is $12.29, it is generally cheaper to order from TRSI if you can get the free shipping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10