• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Martian Chronicles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico is fantastic and sadly over looked by the newer anime fans, because every anime fan should know who the great Gai Daidouji is. It's like a time capsul of the late 90s, and is indeed a homage to anime-culture. But unless the newer fans watched a lot of older anime they probably wouldn't get many of the jokes.

As for budget constraints I think you may just be a little too spoiled with modern animation technology because I don't recall the Nadesico budget being anything less than the normal in terms of anime tv series of that day.

Plus come on, for once it's a harem show where the guy cooks. That for one makes it stand way out. And as for all the girls being in love with him... that was part of the joke, no? You're on a ship called the Nadesico, lots of female crew, Megumi Hayashibara... I don't remember the harem elements being on par with Tenchi though in terms of perverse, or providing anywhere as much fanservice. Then again it's been years since I last saw it and maybe need to give it a rewatch because I always remember it as being fairly camp that never made me as a female feel uncomfortable no matter how ditzy the captain was. Heck, I never even really considered it much of a Harem anime since it only plays a minor role in the plot.

And as any true sci-fi fan should note, Nadesico has technology that has pretty sound theories behind them. They're not just flying alien spaceships, they're theoretically possible... or so Dr. Inez led me to believe.

And I always found Ruri more of a Rei clone than a Data with pigtails. Data was never that rude. This was post-Eva and it was trying to combine various elements that the otaku loved.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I think episode 12 of Sword Art Online is where I have come pretty close to dropping it. It was just Melodramatic and shallow. The show is just not trying to be anything more. Which is a shame given the first episode.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Akito isn't exactly a milquetoast protagonist, but all the women on board the Nadesico are in love with him for no discernible reason.

I always believed that Akito was forced to be the protagonist by the writers. He only pilots robots yet he always has to accompany a supporting character in episodes not focused on him. Also about all the girls liking him for no reason, I wonder if that was intentional as part of a parody because even the announcer from the previews can't believe Akito's popularity.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The creepy emotionless 11-year-old Ruri Hoshino is kind of the Lieutenant Commander Data of this series, except someone decided Data wasn't nearly cute enough without pigtails

Now I know that Ruri is pretty much a satire of Rei, but no way would I consider Ruri "emotionless". In fact, her blunt remarks and witty attitude were a nice addition to the already colorful cast in the series. She was annoyed by the fact that she was surrounded by idiots (compared to her), so having practical conversations with "idiots" wasn't really in her to-do list. The only thing she showed honest emotions for was the ship's computer because it wasn't an "idiot" per say.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Your comment about Tenchi also does not make much sense. Tenchi is generally considered the template of god father of harem, the ova is what really kicked in gear the whole genre. And the later ovas if anything became less harem, and more sci fi plot driven. Clearly you have never watched Tenchi Muyo based on your comments. The main criticism of OVA 3 is just that, where is all the harem fun, whats with this over the top rushed sci fi story. I like the story but it does feel a little rushed in only 7 episodes. And fyi Tench ova has 3 parts, and two spinoffs, GXP and knight tail. I don't know here you got the notion it had four seasons.

I think by "seasons" she includes the "remakes", Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo, which definitely had a lot more harem-y episodes than sci-fi-y episodes. Even the episodes in space had a few harem-y episodes (Beach Episode Planet, anybody?).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
For once I'd love to see a fantasy anime that gets it right.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:

About two years ago The theme song (personally) is just so awesome!! >w<

Holy chicken nuggets, you're not kidding. What have I been missing!?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Your comment about Tenchi also does not make much sense. Tenchi is generally considered the template of god father of harem, the ova is what really kicked in gear the whole genre. And the later ovas if anything became less harem, and more sci fi plot driven. Clearly you have never watched Tenchi Muyo based on your comments. The main criticism of OVA 3 is just that, where is all the harem fun, whats with this over the top rushed sci fi story. I like the story but it does feel a little rushed in only 7 episodes. And fyi Tench ova has 3 parts, and two spinoffs, GXP and knight tail. I don't know here you got the notion it had four seasons.

I think by "seasons" she includes the "remakes", Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo, which definitely had a lot more harem-y episodes than sci-fi-y episodes. Even the episodes in space had a few harem-y episodes (Beach Episode Planet, anybody?).

I like Universe and Tokyo, but I dont consider them canon, and I dont think most Tenchi Muyo fans do either (they was no involvement with the creator of the series K Masaki). They were just okay spinoffs, so I dont like to judge them together.

And I skipped this but what do you mean all the girls liked akito for no reason. Do you seriously watch what you review or do scratch your ass for 600 minutes. By my count there were 3 girls that "chased" Akito. Blue haired girl, she liked him because they were childhood friends. Aquamarine hair girl liked him gradual, as he improved as a pilot and got to know him better. The brown haired girl is the only one who I cant think of why she liked him, but she was probably the most plain and boring character, so who cares. Even if you count ruri, she says it in one episode, she likes his childish enthusiasm and innocence.

Christ at least watch what you criticize.
blackseer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
The thing that irritates me more about SAO is that everyone compares it to the .hack series and many thing the former is better. And I can't contest that, because I know the .hack ANIME series were incongruously slow-paced drama that even I couldn't watch.

But the games, both the original .hack and .hack//G.U., had very interesting stories but were never turned into anime. They had the mistery involving the game itself causing players to fall into a coma, colorful characters, guild dynamics involving the act of player-killing, a whole in-game mythology, and many things more that are being retold in SAO.

I think the biggest problem of SAO, and I believe is what people are calling fanservice, is that it spends too many episodes on uninteresting girls characters just for the sake of it. Personally, I was gonna drop the series, but then episode 9 came and changed my mind, but the idea of just stop watching is coming back.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
First, yes, Captain Tylor is awesome and everyone should see it. Now that that's out of the way...
While I haven't seen Nadesico in years (I bought it in 2003 (wow, almost 10 years ago...), and probably watched it around the same time) I do distinctly remember enjoyed the TV series and not enjoying the movie at all. As mentioned by others, the change in tone was a real turn off.
I didn't know (or have since forgotten...) that it was the first of a planned trilogy though. Perhaps the next two movies would have redeemed the movie series as a whole and it would have been much better, but since we only got the first one, that's nothing more then an interesting side note. Nice piece of info, but doesn't really change anything.
Lastly, interesting bit of info Key. Perhaps I should rewatch MSN sometime and see how it holds up for me. I'm almost worried to rewatch it as so much of it might fall flat. Although I could use that as I good excuse to pick up this new release...
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Clearly you have never watched Tenchi Muyo based on your comments.

I assure you I have seen plenty of Tenchi Muyo. It feels like hundreds of hours worth, but I could be off in that calculation.

Shenl742 wrote:
To me, the really weird thing about the Nadesico movie is that the bizarre, dark tonal shift feels almost like something the original series would parody, or at least call a bit of attention to.

Seeing it played so straight, without even a hint of irony, actually made watching it feel a little unsettling.

I never really liked the tone of the TV series, so I enjoyed the new tone in the movie. I also was never fond of spoiler[the lead characters] so I was delighted by their near-absence from the film.

The time gap didn't bother me either, I found out over the course of the film what I felt I needed to know about the time gap.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Also; Best Recap Episode in The History of Recap Episodes.

I don't remember the recap episode... why was it great?

Lynx Amali wrote:
...you never really get repercussions from the events happening in the real world. That's one thing I liked about .hack....You get a sense of while the story is taking place, the consequences it has on the real world.

It's not over yet, right? I hope they show us what's going on in the real world at the end of SAO.

CrownKlown wrote:
And I skipped this but what do you mean all the girls liked akito for no reason. Do you seriously watch what you review or do scratch your ass for 600 minutes.

Yes, I do watch what I review. There are 740 minutes in the Nadesico box, plus I watched about 258 minutes of SAO (I also watched episode 11) and 325 minutes of Himawari Too. So over two weeks (since I skipped a week) I watched 22+ hours worth of anime, worked a 40 hour job each week, attended class for 6 hours per week, and did several hours worth of homework. It takes me about 3-4 hours to write the column, too, (so that's time when I can't watch anime). If I had time to scratch my ass, it was a pretty good week.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Well, this doesn't surprise me. As a wideheld opinion of the Nadesico fanbase is to pretend that the movie never even happened. And SAO is simply terrible fanfiction on the same level of Twilight, but moreso aimed at men's fantasies of course.

Y'mean Fifty Shades, but hey, if gals can enjoy their fanfic fantasies, guys can too! Laughing

belvadeer wrote:

Keichitsu0305 wrote:

About two years ago The theme song (personally) is just so awesome!! >w<

Holy chicken nuggets, you're not kidding. What have I been missing!?

Try the live-action studio version. Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
I saw Nadesico last year last year and I thought of it as more a love triangle than a harem. Simple math:

Two girl's a love triangle, five's a harem and anything in between is fun.

Nadesico's fun; also a love triangle with one "undecided". And unlike Evangelion, I actually got to enjoy Spkie Spencer's performance in the dub. Shelfworthy for me for the TV series, I'm just trying to decide how much. The rest can stay in the box.

Himawari, I would have actually liked more on the Student/Teacher romance as it was once of the less creepier pairings in the series, let alone anime of that type. It didn't come out of nowhere and it was kind of sweet compared to series where high school/middle school... elementary school... girls actively pursue their teachers.

Kindergarten. But that was played more for laughs. Her mother, on the other hand, I don't know...

Also, usually I don't like ninjas but I thought they were ok here as I can accept government sanctioned ninja schools based on genetic manipulation of the gene pool rather than the usual "normal ninjas as superheroes/villains" theme. Here, they're weird and you know it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Nadesico's fun; also a love triangle with one "undecided". And unlike Evangelion, I actually got to enjoy Spkie Spencer's performance in the dub.

Oh god I forgot all about that. That's what made the dub for me. It was the time of ADV where they could get downright ridiculous voices (I do remember Eureka being somewhat annoying) but the fact that they had this comedy homage to otaku-fandom and their shinji voice actor had the lead role, and though piloting robots, totally was superior to Shinji in most ways. He made me laugh too much.

I watched this whole series originally dubbed on vhs. God I feel old now.

And yeah, the theme song was pretty great. Damn I want to watch some Nadesico now.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Also; Best Recap Episode in The History of Recap Episodes.

I don't remember the recap episode... why was it great?
It's told from the perspective of the Gekiganger 3 cast watching Nadesico. It's episode 14, you may want to give it another look. "Best recap episode" is kind of a dubious honor but it really is awesome.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Far be it from me to decry anything Gekigangar 3, but for my money "best recap episode" goes to "Haruhi in Wonderland" from Ouran High School Host Club on the grounds that it referenced everything that had happened up to that point in the show's own silly way and even added a bit of characterization for the lead for good measure. Not a narrated clip in sight.

Was that Nadesico episode the best clip show, well, maybe. Something original was in it that lasted for more than a handful of seconds. But yeah, very low bar to clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4