• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stinkers of last year. The most disappointing manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:30 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

And an aptly named Manga, Worst was.....the "Worst" POS I read. It was just a poorly written fighting manga. Hell, Dragonball had more plot than this.

Worst is the worst because it had poor writting? How?

I stated clearly in the topic, if you're going, talk about a stinker, please be sure use reasonable example. If you want to participate, please read the first post.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

And an aptly named Manga, Worst was.....the "Worst" POS I read. It was just a poorly written fighting manga. Hell, Dragonball had more plot than this.

Worst is the worst because it had poor writting? How?

I stated clearly in the topic, if you're going, talk about a stinker, please be sure use reasonable example. If you want to participate, please read the first post.

Oh, I seriously wanted to write a thesis, but there isn't enough material to even make a footnote. Thats how bad it was to me. I can't even muster the needed words for it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Here’s another I’m adding in the defense of one of the titles being labeled as a stinker; Peace Maker Kurogane.

It falls pretty much in the same category as Mythical Detective Loki, meaning it's NOT the beginning of a series, and that ADV was brilliant enough to start releasing the manga starting in the middle of the story. In the light of this being a criticizing thread, please keep in mind that usually when someone is reviewing a title, they usually have knowledge of what’s happened so far in the story. In a shorter way of saying this: Don't start a review from episode 18 without seeing the first 18 episodes.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I've read the unlicenced portion of Kurogane and seen some of the anime, and it still is a pretty ho-hum title. It reminds me in some ways of Blade of the Immortal, in that it attempts to tell a samurai tale using lots of characters and shock value (as is shown at the end of the second volume). I'm not expecting it to be as serious or mature as BotI obviously (it is still shonen), but it still has boring characters and the writing isn't that great. Not that it's bad or anything, it just is a rather average, even mediocre, samurai tale.
I know people are going to scream about this one, but xxxHolic and Tsubasa weren't as great as they were made out to be. They both are definitally interesting reads, but it seemed that everyone made them out to be these incredible works. Ironically, I think that Legal Drun, a CLAMP title that seemed to get less attention, is far supirior to both of these.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The most disappointing manga I read from last year was Figure 17 (and that's coming from the webmaster from the first English-language Figure 17 fansite). Seriously, how can you compress a 13-episode story into a two-tankoubon manga? Bad enough that a lot of supporting characters do not appear in the manga; worse is that the fight scenes are severely neutered (instead of seeing Figure 17 kill a Maguar, you just see a small explosion).

Forget the manga and buy the anime instead.

Last edited by areaseven on Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I was dissapointed in Tokyo Mew Mew, which finished it's run in 2004. Beautiful art and it actually had a strong start, something rare for the magical girl genre, but the plot and characters just slowly fell apart book by book. Everything was incredibly predictable.

I also didn't like One.

Whoever said that they didn't like the Lodoss manga, I recommend picking up a different lodoss manga series, there's about five of them, and two or three are actually good. The Welcome to Lodoss Island 4-koma series is really funny, but the price that it runs for is ridiculously high.

But I have to defend Planet Ladder. Planet Ladder is a very very good comic.....after you read it about 3 times. It's complex and very confusing. When tokyopop released the 6th volume, they gave each character their own font so you could tell who's talking. ^_^; But once you get past that, Planet Ladder has a good plot, which very real characters. XD I love the Mad Prince Seeu!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Gave them their own font? Psh. I rather dislike it when they have some different font, even if it fits the story better. Unless it's sound effects, I generally like the SJ font.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
I just read Loki (the manga that everyone seems to have been disapointed by), and I thought it was actually pretty good. Of course I'm still confused about the characters, seeing that it's already a couple of volumes into the run, but it was well writen and the art has a quirky charm to it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Everyone's going to have different opinions. Heaven knows there's so much coming out now it's impossible to keep up with it all so while there was a time I read just about everything by Tokyo Pop, I have to find reasons to dismiss some of it because I haven't the time or money to follow more than about 50 titles.
That said, I wasn't impressed with Det. Loki. There wasn't that much different about it to make it stand out as something worth pursuing. Tactics has Haruka-nice hot demon & it's funny. Yeah, I'll continue with that title. Loki has the usual cute characters doing the usual interesting stuff.

Full House was interesting, but not as interesting as others I'm reading, so I really don't believe I'll be continuing the title.

Treasure Hunter did squat for me. Jing is a much more interesting title, so I'll continue Twilight Tales & not Treasure Hunter. Yongbi is a much better title & I will continue with it.

Model did nothing for me. There isn't enough suspense to justify buying that title over something that interests me like Lament of the Lamb.

Cresent Moon was just too standard for me also. I'll take DNAngel anyday. Or Eerie Queerie.

X is actually my disappointing Clamp title. I really like Xxxholic & Tsubasa, but X seems to drag out so badly--like the story advances about 2 inches in each volume. I'm not dropping it, but it's usually on the bottom of my reading pile each month it comes out because, as good as it is, I'm usually frustrated by the almost stand-still plot. I didn't think I'd like Suki(That was it, wasn't it?), but I really enjoyed it. My other least fav Clamp title is Clover.

I love Planet Ladder, but would they please get us the final volume. This was one of Tokyo Pop's first titles, but like Real Bout High School, there's been a huge delay in the releases(yes, I know it's because it wasn't finished in Japan). This one is a hard read--I liked what I saw in the preview manga they passed out, but I got behind on my reading, so I didn't get to it until 3 volumes had come out, which I deemed lucky, because I would have dropped it after the first volume or 2. It doesn't really gel until vol. 3. Prince Seeu is cool. I loved the bonus story in the one volume. Another exciting day in the life of Prince Seeu--& it's just him lying on the couch for 4 pages. He moves slightly in 1 panel.

My daughter would kill over the Gravitation comment. I really prefer Gravitation to Fake, although there are other titles on my yaoi shelf I enjoy more. Selfish Love was probably the most disappointing yaoi title I came across last year. I enjoyed it enough, but not as much as others like Only the Ring Finger. If more yaoi were available, I possibly would have dropped it at volume 1, but right now there's not so much coming out, every little bit counts.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I loved the bonus story in the one volume. Another exciting day in the life of Prince Seeu--& it's just him lying on the couch for 4 pages. He moves slightly in 1 panel.

Lmao, that part is hilarious. I heard that the 7th volume is due out in March or April. Finally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The only manga I've ever bought without reading it first was Get Backers. I had read a small section of it in Anime Insider, and thought it was pretty funny. But after getting home and cracking it open, I was suprised to see excessive swearing (I thought there was no such thing as swearing in Japanese), and insane amounts of fan service. I could not find one woman in the book that wasn't whoring herself out for personal gain. Nice.

The story itself was pretty good, but it was way too trashy. It's too bad.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="The Winking Samurai"] (I thought there was no such thing as swearing in Japanese)quote]

No offense, but have you lived your entire life inside the walls of a cathedral or something? XD Heh, there's no such thing as a language without explicatives.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The Winking Samurai wrote:
(I thought there was no such thing as swearing in Japanese)

No offense, but have you lived your entire life inside the walls of a cathedral or something? XD Heh, there's no such thing as a language without explicatives.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The Winking Samurai wrote:
(I thought there was no such thing as swearing in Japanese)

Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura:
Far be it from me to lecture anyone about japanese as i am still just a humble first year student, but after about 4 months of learning japanese I can safely say that the Japanese dont have "swearing" in the american/european sense. Sure there are some words you wouldnt say in front of your parents but they are extremely mild and soft compared to the ones I hear almost everyday -_- the most eoffensive ones I can come up with right now would be kuso, yaro with many many combinations (both simply mean $hit). I am sure others can give you more examples but the point is there just isnt alot swearing in the japanese language.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3