• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about American cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you describe your relationship with cartoons
Love them
22%
 22%  [ 46 ]
Like them
29%
 29%  [ 60 ]
Indifferent towards them
15%
 15%  [ 32 ]
Dislike most of them (there are a few exceptions)
23%
 23%  [ 48 ]
Hate them (won't touch any of them)
7%
 7%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 202

EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He likes TLA movie and doesn't like the TV show.

Take his temperature and stay calm, maybe it's not too late.

I'd compare western animation to mainstream fiction books and anime to fantasy. While people rarely consider them the fans of the former, the latter's fanbase is pretty united. Mainstream was around as long as you remember, so you feel the whole diversity and rather follow authors, themes or particular series, instead of genre as a whole. Aniem and fantasy are usually introduced and seen as a unified niche that you must like or not as a whole. It also have a developed atmosphere, warmed up by following merchandise, that most of the mainstream usually lack of.

So I'm a rare fan of animation as a whole. I try to watch every movie I see (sorry, Ghilbi, still long way to go) and check everything I can get in languages suitable for humans. ATM I finished Futurama and I'm on my way to collect Greg Weisman's works (what an unfortunate genius) and try to convince myself that Winx Club season 5 deserves a chance.

Keonyn, there's a reason why on TvTropes watering down the personality of characters in long runners was called Flanderisation.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Keonyn, there's a reason why on TvTropes watering down the personality of characters in long runners was called Flanderisation.

Ya know, I would actually argue the Simpson family of the first few seasons was more watered down than they were in later seasons. Homer was a fairly typical father, Lisa was just kind of a sister character that seemed to exist mostly as a plot device for Bart storylines, and even Marge was just the loyal wife while Bart was the typical one-dimensional bad kid. I would say the family evolved and became less watered down as time went on, particularly as it hit the glory years around seasons 4 through 8 when they were arguably at their peak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Actually they were watered down in a way that one trait of their personality had grown like a tumour, dominating the whole character. At the beginning they were likeable not-so-usual family, while during the course of the series they turned into caricatures. I bet that most of the people preferred smart, but kind Lisa than Jesus in skirt she become later.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Actually they were watered down in a way that one trait of their personality had grown like a tumour, dominating the whole character. At the beginning they were likeable not-so-usual family, while during the course of the series they turned into caricatures. I bet that most of the people preferred smart, but kind Lisa than Jesus in skirt she become later.

Eh, I actually disagree. I do agree that such was the case in some of the later seasons where the show started to overdo it, but overall I would say the family had little real personality in those first few seasons, particularly Lisa and Homer. I actually think the most recent seasons have gone back to a good balance again, but most peoples judgements are far too clouded by the fact they gave up on the show to really give it a fair shake again.

I really don't know how much longer it will be around, though the ratings are still good. But with Family Guy long holding that coveted top spot for these prime time animations and other good shows like Bobs Burgers coming up, I'm just not sure how well The Simpsons will hold up. I still think it's a good thing though, and I think those who pick on it for some of these things are just trying too hard to find flaws (as, frankly, regulars of TV Tropes are oft to do).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, in new season they come back to senses and improve most of the mistakes, hoverer they should try better.
I think that Simpsons are the less endangered animated TV show- the Movie proved that they are probably the most recognisable and popular American cartoon both domestically and overseas, so cancelling it in next years seem unlikeable.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
True, but it has to end sometime. The cast is certainly getting older, most of them are in their 50's or 60's at this point; heck, Harry Shearer is almost 70 at this point. James Brooks is also in his 70's at this point. The show has just survived on these talents for so long I don't think they could replace them so easily or even successfully. While the show is certainly still successful, everything has to end at some point and with so much competition showing up these days and the cast and crew getting older it just seems to me that the end of the line might not be that far away. I mean, I don't think it's going to be cancelled tomorrow or even this or next season, but I don't think sometime in the next several years is that far fetched.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I like both American cartoons and Japanese anime. I've seen both and I like both. I have no problem with either of them. I'm just as comfortable watching "Scooby-Doo" or "Tom and Jerry" as I do watching "Digimon" or "Pokemon." Both countries have made good and not-so-good stuff. To say that all American cartoons are bad is like saying all Japanese stuff is disgusting hentai. It's a wrongheaded thing and should be challenged.
There are good American cartoons and bad American cartoons just like there good anime and bad anime. You should try to watch the good stuff and leave the bad stuff to rot. It's not worth your time.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
Love 'em! I grew up watching cartoons like Dungeons & Dragons, Transformers and Thundercats and whenever I'm watching tv, Cartoon Network is one of my default channels.

I honestly don't understand why there's such rivalry between fans of Japanese anime and fans of American cartoons. I remember reading some ridiculous column where the writer said that anime was better because anime was about real life whereas American cartoons are filled with nothing but sunny days and happiness. He probably never saw Dungeons & Dragons...
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
I grew up watching them, and I like them, but the old Toonami block was more or less my last hurrah with animation on TV in general. Between sharing a TV with a family of 5 and then not bothering to get a cable subscription once I moved out after college, I don't really watch them anymore with any kind of consistency. It's more of an issue of accessibility plus having plenty to occupy my free time than anything else; I have nothing against them.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Extreme love. The 80s was the best for movies and the 90s was the best for animated series, imho.

God, do I miss it!! Most of the cartoons today are mindless garbage. I won't deny that the Total Drama series on CN is HILARIOUS.....but...little kids should not be watching that!! Anime hyper

Quote:
I honestly don't understand why there's such rivalry between fans of Japanese anime and fans of American cartoons.

When I first got into anime, I also had the mindset that anime>everything, as far as entertainment went.

But as I got older and rewatched nostalgic American animation from an adult's perspective, I realized just how idiotic that attitude was and I smartened up.

There's variety in everything.
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I realized just how idiotic that attitude was and I smartened up.

Name some American cartoons about romance Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I realized just how idiotic that attitude was and I smartened up.

Name some American cartoons about romance Laughing

There are many many MANY animated movies that are....but if you mean animated series? Not....too many, I guess. Not solely about romance but they DO have romance in them. My personal favorite was Hey Arnold! So many episodes focused on how much Helga was in love with Arnold. She even ends up confessing to a therapist, about how and why she loves him, why she has become who she is, and all her family-related problems. The whole thing actually gives her quite a bit of character depth. For a kid's show anyway. And even though the show did not get to completion, the creator himself said "Yes, HelgaxArnold IS canon and they WILL get together!"
Which was pretty great because the majority of the fans wanted it BADLY. :'D

As Told By Ginger was a bit unique because it focused on the lives of teenage girls (much like a kid version of Daria) so this series inevitably had the potential for romantic relationships too which were granted canon endings.

Total Drama also has a ton of romance, along with canon couples. Each season. Realistic since it's a parody of reality shows, using teenagers. Everybody is ALWAYS making out with somebody.

Avatar the Last Air Bender has romance too. And the Legend of Korra.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
I've always liked cartoons. When I was young, you could always find Looney Tunes on broadcast TV, and there was always a new animated Peanuts special every year or so. Then, when I got a little older, I discovered things like the animated Star Trek series (which is surprisingly good for an early 70's no-budget show). Later, when I was in high school and college things like Animaniacs, Reboot and Teen Titans came along.

Maybe I'm fortunate that I just happened to be born at the right time to see animation in the US evolve from a kids-only form of entertainment to something a little more universal.
Megabattimus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
I LOVE cartoons. Love them a lot.

Thinking about it, I've probably watched MORE cartoons than I have anime.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Megabattimus--
In case I forgot, welcome to the fora! Anime smile Anime catgrin Cool Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8