• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's Story Will Not End in 3rd Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
.....Eh.

I'm still having a hard time thinking how they could work out a new and interesting story into a third film that more or less continues from where the series/first two films left off. I mean, Madoka's ending is still one of the best, most fulfilling anime endings I've ever encountered, and due to the nature of it, I can't comprehend any truly exciting and interesting stuff for a third movie that don't utterly compromise the integrity of that ending. Right now, all I really have to go by is faith in that Urobuchi and co. will somehow make this work.

And now further installments are being teased before a lick of the third film has been seen? (Though maybe there's a preview snippet at the end of the second film, come to think of it....) I really hope this does not imply that whatever ending the third film goes with won't feel like a blatant "to be continued..." unless the premise of the third film really begs to be dispersed beyond one film; I'd really want this third film to feel like a neat closer in its own right, just as much the TV series' ending did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
The setting actually provides for a huge number of potential stories.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the story of Homura and Madoka was nicely wrapped up by the T.V. series, but there are plenty of other girls with their own stories to tell.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yeah, the story of Homura and Madoka was nicely wrapped up by the T.V. series, but there are plenty of other girls with their own stories to tell.

I don't know if you've ever read any fanfic, but I think you'd really enjoy this story: To the Stars.

Its a distant-future (400 years or so) story, in a future where Magical Girls are common knowledge, and humanities only hope in a desperate interstellar war. Also features some very interesting speculation on near-post humanity and the role of technology and artificial intelligence.

Main viewpoint characters are Kyouko, Mami and the distant grandaughter of Hitomi and Kyousuke.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Main viewpoint characters are ... Mami ...

What, I didn't know my Waifu was in that story. I'll have to go read it and gently chide her for not letting me know where she'd gone; I was afraid she'd lost her head in combat again.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

What, I didn't know my Waifu was in that story. I'll have to go read it and gently chide her for not letting me know where she'd gone; I was afraid she'd lost her head in combat again.

She's quite the interesting character here, but 400 years and an interstellar war will do that to anyone.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
can't say im pleased about this. I have faith in their ability to make it good, but it definitely just seems like they're milking it as much as possible. the anime ended flawlessly IMO
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
@Fencedude & dtm42: Well, Urobuchi talked of the "Madoka Magica" story not ending, right? Perhaps that's more of a franchise moniker than anything else at this point (too bad it can't be the "Puella Magi" franchise...), but reading that, I assume(d) that he was talking about further installments relating to our main cast of characters, especially Madoka and Homura-- characters that I don't see much reason for development beyond what has already been provided to us through the existing series and spin-offs. (Unless the creators decide to take the implicit/deliberate pairings as shown in promotional art to their logical extreme....)

I won't deny that the world of Madoka Magica has more stories to tell. But Homura and co.? I dunno just how much interesting stuff they'd have left to do character or plot-wise, especially in spoiler[Madoka's reformed, somewhat-less-grim-dark world]-- at least compared to the calibre of characterization and plot in the original series.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

I won't deny that the world of Madoka Magica has more stories to tell. But Homura and co.? I dunno just how much interesting stuff they'd have left to do character or plot-wise, especially in spoiler[Madoka's reformed, somewhat-less-grim-dark world]-- at least compared to the calibre of characterization and plot in the original series.[/spoiler][/i]

I don't think Homura's story is done. Until she reunites with Madoka she will never be complete.

Also, there is quite a bit of potential with Mami and Kyouko, who have a history the anime didn't cover at all...
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, there is quite a bit of potential with Mami and Kyouko, who have a history the anime didn't cover at all...

But hasn't that history already been covered with the audio drama CD? And isn't that going to be explored even further with the manga spinoff by Hanokage? I'd be disappointed if there were a lot of anime material covering ground that's already been well-treaded elsewhere, especially if the movie(s) is going to be one concerned with the spoiler["new" world] presented at the end of the series. I'd only see that history being made use of if they wanted to highlight how character dynamics between the two have altered in that world-- as they'd have likely altered between others-- but that'd seem kinda clunky to me.

Maybe with the third movie + other installments, that could be a big thing-- changed character dynamics. However, there'd still have to be plenty more substantial and interesting elements to comprise what I'd consider to be a truly worthwhile continuation, especially if the relationships between characters will be more positive this time around (and thus, I assume, less conducive to hard-hitting drama/angst).
dreznovk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
It's already risky of them to make a new movie out of such ending, and now Gen Urobuchi still have some more story to add, could it be a prequel, some sort of parallel world or different characters in the same universe ? Really hard to tell.

I personally satisfied with the ending but if any of my favorite anime continue and if it's still good (hopefully) then there is no reason for me to complain. But I hope Gen Urobuchi doesn't overdo himself with this, would prefer it to end than continuing with a crappy sequel.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
I just hope that the producers of Madoka Magica aren't like the producers of the Evangelion franchise, who want to continually cash in on the show's popularity.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
I just hope that the producers of Madoka Magica aren't like the producers of the Evangelion franchise, who want to continually cash in on the show's popularity.

Yeah, except the Rebuild movies have so far been better than the TV series in every respect.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:

Eva never did two recap movies for pure cash-grab purposes (only 1), so Madoka Magica is already off to a bad start in that regard.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sacto0562 wrote:

Eva never did two recap movies for pure cash-grab purposes (only 1), so Madoka Magica is already off to a bad start in that regard.

By all reports Beginning Story is better than Death on every level. And I have little doubt that the second movie will be bad, considering its devoting its entire runtime to the last four episodes, instead of trying to cram 26 episodes into 2 hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4