• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saki Website Launches Mahjong Mini-Game Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, well I do now understand that I have to try to get "yaku", but it seems that the computer often wins by declaring "Riichi", but I don't seem to ever have that option. From what I understand about riichi, it means that you're declaring that you're tenpai, or one tile away from a winning hand.

So why then, would this be a situation where I can't call Riichi?

From what I understand, I just needed a 4 of bamboo (either drawn or pon/pung off of someone else). Anyway, someone played the 4 of bamboo (and since I couldn't put in my riichi stick) my hand didn't have any yaku. So I ended up discarding the green peacock (because it's a terminal) and won with a "all simples" yaku. My second question is why didn't I receive the yaku for the double straight? I had 3-4-5 in the same suit, so I thought that would be another han?

My final (All Simples) hand was this:

I'll try your all pon/kan strategy, but my starting hand had 2-2-3-4-4-5-5 all in the same suit, so I figured it'd be a cinch to get the double straight yaku. Thanks for the help with my questions.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Hmmm, well I do now understand that I have to try to get "yaku", but it seems that the computer often wins by declaring "Riichi", but I don't seem to ever have that option. From what I understand about riichi, it means that you're declaring that you're tenpai, or one tile away from a winning hand.

So why then, would this be a situation where I can't call Riichi?

From what I understand, I just needed a 4 of bamboo (either drawn or pon/pung off of someone else). Anyway, someone played the 4 of bamboo (and since I couldn't put in my riichi stick) my hand didn't have any yaku. So I ended up discarding the green peacock (because it's a terminal) and won with a "all simples" yaku. My second question is why didn't I receive the yaku for the double straight? I had 3-4-5 in the same suit, so I thought that would be another han?

My final (All Simples) hand was this:

I'll try your all pon/kan strategy, but my starting hand had 2-2-3-4-4-5-5 all in the same suit, so I figured it'd be a cinch to get the double straight yaku. Thanks for the help with my questions.

Riichi can only be called when your hand is fully concealed, i.e. when you have not called chi or pon or kan to take one of your opponents discards.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Okay, time for me to go Akagi Shigeru on those girls' asses! Twisted Evil
If Akagi was the protagonist of Saki (Youtube)
Temuthril

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

My second question is why didn't I receive the yaku for the double straight? I had 3-4-5 in the same suit, so I thought that would be another han?

Iipeikou (or double straight) needs to be closed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2