• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Koihime†Musō Anime Today at 5 p.m. PDT

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, CR added Beast Player Erin a week ago. Give em credit where it's due too.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Depending on who you ask, Crunchyroll is either all boys shows, all girls shows, all Gonzo shows, or all moe-otaku shows. Laughing

Upon actually looking at their list, though, it looks like a pretty balanced mix of stuff to me.

The previous show they announced before Koihime†Musō was NHK's Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, the one before that was Eureka 7, and the one before that was Hanasakeru Seishonen; if there's some kind of "trend" there, I'm hard pressed to identify it.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Another one of the shows I've skipped in the distant past. Looks like Crunchyroll is full of them.
But then again, I don't pay their subscription to watch best sellers.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations CR, you picked up a show A YEAR AFTER IT FINISHED.

You want a cookie for that? Very Happy

Seriously, I couldn't care less that they have this. The first season wasn't BAD but it's got a 'hopefully' superior season coming in just a few weeks.

Now if they get THAT, they'll finally have something I wanna watch.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Seems to be that CR keeps getting the same "type" of show. More or less, they never get any more serious shows, and if it is, it has a lot of yuri overtones or it's some piece of crap GONZO squirts out.

Erin is a pretty serious show except for that Laurel and Hardy duo.

Crunchy seems bound by its younger demographic. I'd love to see them carry shows for mature audiences that would never otherwise get licensed here like Bartender or shows from the Noitamina block like Nodame Cantabile or Mononoke. It's very hard for someone my age (50's) to suggest shows to friends who know nothing about anime other than the occasional movie like Mononoke Hime. Some of them might watch a show if it's streamed since even old folks like me are used to watching YouTube.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
The Koihime Musou dub is very surprising. I wonder if this means it's going to come out on DVD very soon.

Annf wrote:
Depending on who you ask, Crunchyroll is either all boys shows, all girls shows, all Gonzo shows, or all moe-otaku shows. Laughing

Upon actually looking at their list, though, it looks like a pretty balanced mix of stuff to me.

The previous show they announced before Koihime†Musō was NHK's Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, the one before that was Eureka 7, and the one before that was Hanasakeru Seishonen; if there's some kind of "trend" there, I'm hard pressed to identify it.

Exactly. People jump up and down, rant and rave whenever some show they hate comes over the pond. Then they associate CR forever with that. Talk about selective memory.

Random sampling:
- Hyakko
- Black Jack
- Glass Maiden (Crystal Blaze)
- Myself Yourself
- 5 cm per second
- Voices of a Distant Star
- Ristorante Paradiso
- Place Promised in Our Early Days
- Galaxy Express 999 (crappy quality)
- Slam Dunk (crappy quality)
- Eyeshield 21 (ep 101 out of 145 so far; great quality)
- Hoop Days (Dear Boys)
- Time of Eve
- Kaasan - Mom's Life
- School Days
- Glass Mask
- Mizu no Kotoba
- Pale Cocoon

... and so on

edit: edited list
unellmay..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Give a cookie to funimation and everyone else while your at it
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

So they shouldn't bother getting shows that aren't airing in Japan right now, at this very moment? That's far too restrained.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I just watched the first eppie. Aw, it's cute. Boo to all the yuri-hatahs. Bravo, CR, another show I'll be watching.

Indeed. Seconded.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I can't watch CR anymore. Sucky Shojo and sucky yuri aren't my cup of tea.

By 'sucky yuri' I hope you're referring to this show in particular, not one of CR's other streaming ones (Aoi Hana), because Aoi Hana by no means sucks. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, but doesn't make it 'sucky'.

As can probably be inferred, I was not a big fan of this show. I watched it mainly for what yuri was in there, but through all the episodes, there was probably only 10 minutes worth of yuri. And that was the only thing that even kept me watching. The show looked pleasing, but characters, to music, to plot(?) were terrible and/or annoying. It was torture. I never considered myself a masochist, and forcing myself through this show made me question that (even though I was not enjoying it at all). But, whatever, another free steam is always good, even if it's not something I care for, let alone enough to re-watch.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

So they shouldn't bother getting shows that aren't airing in Japan right now, at this very moment? That's far too restrained.

Naw, my comment's more like, 'Well it's fine that you got this but why waste your time when the next (and potentially more canon) season is starting up?' rather than criticism.

I just think it's a pointless grab is all. It's not a stupid show but eh...

I just was seeing this, hoping they meant they were getting Shin Koihime Muso and got a little bummed is all.

And no offense, but comparing Crunchyroll to Funimation is like comparing chocolate and vanilla IMHO. They're two different things. At least if Funimation had it, I could get hard DVD copies OR digital download to own formats. CR is just a streaming service, right?
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Naw, my comment's more like, 'Well it's fine that you got this but why waste your time when the next (and potentially more canon) season is starting up?' rather than criticism.

I just think it's a pointless grab is all. It's not a stupid show but eh...

I just was seeing this, hoping they meant they were getting Shin Koihime Muso and got a little bummed is all.

And no offense, but comparing Crunchyroll to Funimation is like comparing chocolate and vanilla IMHO. They're two different things. At least if Funimation had it, I could get hard DVD copies OR digital download to own formats. CR is just a streaming service, right?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
I can't watch CR anymore. Sucky Shojo and sucky yuri aren't my cup of tea.

By 'sucky yuri' I hope you're referring to this show in particular, not one of CR's other streaming ones (Aoi Hana), because Aoi Hana by no means sucks. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, but doesn't make it 'sucky'.

As can probably be inferred, I was not a big fan of this show. I watched it mainly for what yuri was in there, but through all the episodes, there was probably only 10 minutes worth of yuri. And that was the only thing that even kept me watching. The show looked pleasing, but characters, to music, to plot(?) were terrible and/or annoying. It was torture. I never considered myself a masochist, and forcing myself through this show made me question that (even though I was not enjoying it at all). But, whatever, another free steam is always good, even if it's not something I care for, let alone enough to re-watch.

I am. I'm not a Yuri hater even if I'm not the demographic. Just the blatant and meaningless pandering is annoying. I feel the same way about Pseudo yaoi fangirl bait like 07-Ghost.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
I am. I'm not a Yuri hater even if I'm not the demographic. Just the blatant and meaningless pandering is annoying. I feel the same way about Pseudo yaoi fangirl bait like 07-Ghost.

Alright, good. And understandable. Can't say I'm completely against yuri fan-pandering myself, but when it actually means something in the series it's all the better. Too bad Koihime Muso isn't one of those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2