• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh's genre

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
KariShyGirl wrote:
people say "some shounen is cute", but Azumanga Daioh isn't just plain cute, it is overly cute.

Cute is quantified? The mathematical level of "cuteness" in something determines its genre?

Welll... you *could* say that cute (kawaii) is aimed more for girls while cute (moe) is aimed more at guys. But what do I know anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Welll... you *could* say that cute (kawaii) is aimed more for girls while cute (moe) is aimed more at guys. But what do I know anyway.

That's true, but then looking at her definition, there could easily be "plain cute" kawaii and "overtly cute" moe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
KariShyGirl wrote:
2. tends to be overly cute.

OS-tans, binchou-tan, aircraft-tans, Afghanis-tan and Pakis-tan, and all other tan-girls are cute chibi designs, yet their primary target is definately male. Click hereif you don't know how cute they are.

Afghanis-tan and Pakis-tan are so disturbingly cute. Confused In fact the entire comic is disturbingly cute for the subject matter...
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

KariShyGirl wrote:
It doesn't have to be anything, but it bothers me when some guys think all anime are directed towards them no matter what it has in it, and say it is shounen just because they like it.

I believe woelfie was joking. Sorry for him if he wasn't.

Hey, I was joking, all right ? Luckily, I'm not easily offended. Wink
I was just wondering that such a heavy discussion can go on, just to qualify an anime as being directed towards boys or girls. Many anime are so in between, that you'll allways have discussion about it.
That doesn't refrain you from enjoying (certain) shoujo manga as a boy, or shonen manga as a girl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NeoSam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh is shoujo???
your joking right? ^^;

first of all let me say that there are many manga targeted at male audience that have female protagonists and no fanservice at all and still are targeted at male audience, for example:

1)Shirley(taken from iichan scanlation group): Kaoru Mori's "Shirley" is an evocative glimpse into the daily life of winsome, 13-year-old Shirley, a maid in turn-of-the-century England. It is often compared to Yokahama Kaidashi Kikou, as both mangas feature languid pacing, atmospheric backgrounds, and a female main character who works in a cafe.
If you like YKK, have a weakness for "cute," and/or have a maid fetish, this is the manga for you. No hentai, no fanservice, zero, zip, nada. Just pure maid-tastic moemoe.

Yokahama Kaidashi Kikou: is very slow paced manga but its considered a seinen manga.

2)Emma(taken from iichan scanlation group): Another maid-tastic manga from Kaoru Mori, "Emma" is billed as a "British romance" about a maid in turn-of-the-century England and her romance with William, an aristocrat whose family disapproves of him associating with a girl of the "lower classes."

both these manga are considered as seinen manga(meaning they are targeted at male audience(specifically young men between 18-30)) and both focus on relationships(yes focusing on relationships doesn't mean its shoujo).
why both of these are seinen? well its simple just check in which magazine they are serialized(both are serialized in a seinen magazine).

cute means its shoujo???
your joking again? ^^;

Pita Ten, Sumo oh and DiGi Charat are all by the same author and are all cute but still they are all targeted at male audience.
have you seen Taruto its also very cute but is also targeted at male audience.

bishoujo magazines are targeted at male audience and they have many cute manga, for example: Magical Cute magazine(wow it has a cute name it must be targeted at female audience, no its not ^^; ) is a bishoujo magazine(targeted at male audience) and it has many cute manga and also many ecchi manga. Bottle Fairy was serialized in it and its a very cute manga that is targeted at male audience(you might like it but liking it doesn't turn it to shoujo and no its not for kids ^^; because of the moe factor), it got an anime adaption which was broadcasted at 2:00 am.

the only way to know who is the target audience is to check what magazine the manga came from targets:

manga magazines targeted at male audience:(anime adaption of manga from these magazines are targeted at male audience)
Shounen manga magazines: target boys
Seinen manga magazines: target young men(18-30)
Seijin manga magazines: target adult men
bishoujo magazines: target male audinece(don't know what age, bishoujo anime/manga/games are targeted at male audience)
(anime adaption of a bishoujo game should be quite obvious who is the target audience)

manga magazines targeted at female audience:(anime adaption of manga from these magazines are targeted at female audience)
Shoujo manga magazines: target girls
Josei manga magazines: target ladies(young women)
Adult Women's manga magazines(forgot whats its called ^^; ): target adult women

if the manga is serialized in a magazine targeted at male audience then the manga is targeted at male audience ^^;(isn't it obvious)
if the manga is serialized in a magazine targeted at female audience then the manga is targeted at female audience ^^;(isn't it obvious)

like it or don't like it thats how it is(in japan).
Azumanga Daioh is serialized in Dengeki Daioh magazine which is considered a shounen magazine so every manga serialized in it is considered a shounen manga.
(if you check online japanese shops or even go to a manga japanese shop you'll find that Dengeki Daioh magazine is in the shounen section of the shop, check online japanese shops and you will find the same thing).

shounen elements, shoujo elements --> this doesn't really mean anything(manga develops with time so shounen manga also develops).
it doesn't really matter how the manga feels or looks but in what magazine it ran or under which comic imprint it ran.

how can I know if a magazine is targeted at male audience or female audience?
check these sites: http://users.skynet.be/mangaguide/magazines.html (very old but still useful)
http://completelyfutile.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_completelyfutile_archive.html

if you can't find it(the manga magazine) on one of these sites, you can either ask me(I might know) or if you know japanese just check online japanese shops becasuse they classify every manga magazine as shounen,shoujo,seinen,josei or ...

there are many manga magazines that are targeted at female audience:
http://shoujo.tripod.com/magazine.html (not a complete list)
you can say that the manga serialized in these magazines are shoujo or josei, but please do not claim stuff you know nothing about. Azumanga Daioh is serialized in a shounen magazine and that is enough to classify it as a shounen manga/anime.

as to the popularity element:
most of the fans of Azumanga Daioh in japan are male, but popularity doesn't always matter, for example:
most of the fans of Sailor Moon anime in japan are male but still Sailor Moon anime/manga is considered shoujo.
most of the fans of Tactics manga/anime are female but its still considered a shounen manga, why? because the main target audience is male audience (also the author of Tactics said that its a shounen manga, even if he didn't say anything its obvious its shounen because its serialized in a shounen magazine).

(sorry for bad english, and I mean no offense to anyone).
KariShyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote
I give up, I can't take this brutal beating of people who twist my words. Nagisa, you, and Dormcat, and woelfie all twisted my words, I never intended that quote about guys who think if they read it, it must be shounen to be directed towards woelfie, I was hoping that woelfie was joking about that, and I believed that he was, but I wasn't going to say that because he could of actually meant it, and that would be saying he was doing something that I didn't know if he was doing. I meant there are actual guys who do think that way, that is who I was really speaking about.

Dormcat, I never tried to say Azumanga Daioh was shoujo, or shounen, I just said that it wasn't shounen, and that it had more shoujo themes, which is why I couldn't understand why people were trying to pull it off as shounen, just because some shounen contains a portion of that theme doesn't mean it isn't a shoujo theme, romance is a shoujo theme, even if some shounen does contain romance, which means kawaii type cute would be seen as shoujo more than it would shounen, I noticed that shounen was taken down from it, but did you carefully look that I have not suggested it for shoujo?, I just think it would be proper if you were to give any genre to it, that shounen would be the least to give it. I said that Cardcaptors :: shudders :: was an attempt to market CCS (clearly a shoujo) to boys, which means it doesn't matter if boys can be marketed, doesn't make it a shounen, I never said CCS is shounen.

Nagisa, you are funny, lol, I do believe guys to a certain extent are easily manipulated, that doesn't mean I think all guys are dull, or stupid, just have flaw, everyone has flaws (I have flaws, I did think at 1 point Azumanga Daioh was a pure shoujo, which I know now isn't, but isnt shounen either, so sometimes I think things and they are wrong, but there is 1 thing I am not wrong about, that Azumanga Daioh does contain alot of shoujo themes, such as being kawaii, dealing with friendship (which is a relationship, and the whole show is mainly a big show of that, I mean if you know anything about Azumanga Daioh, you know the girls are all friends, sure shounen have those themes in them sometimes too, but they are still shoujo themes. I wouldn't call a shounen a shoujo just because some shounen themes. I guess the arguement here was that if anything Azumanga Daioh is a shoujo more than it is a shounen, even though it is neither, so it made me upset when someone was trying to post it as shounen. We can all stop replying to this, it was just to ask why Azumanga Daioh was posted as shounen, and now people are just twisting my words, and beating me with them :'(, I should of never spoken up :'(. I should just keep my stupid mouth shut :'(.
NeoSam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:23 am Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:

just because some shounen contains a portion of that theme doesn't mean it isn't a shoujo theme, romance is a shoujo theme, even if some shounen does contain romance, which means kawaii type cute would be seen as shoujo more than it would shounen

shoujo theme , what exactly do you mean by this?
romance is a shoujo theme so by that it should be considered a shoujo manga/anime, is that what you meant?

there are many manga that are targeted at male audience that has romance in it, and the fact that its targeted at male audience is enough for it to be considered shounen,seinen,seijin or bishoujo.

for example:
Love Hina, Chobits, Parallel, Pastel, Inu Neko Jump, 3.3.7. byooshi, Open Sesame, Happy World, Living Game, Kimagure Orange Road, DNA2, Video Girl Ai, I''s, Lilim Kiss, Akane-chan Overdrive, Emma, Ichigo 100%, Koi Kaze, Ringo, D-Ash, Golden Boy, Gacha Gacha, IO, Mai Hime(My Hime), Seto no Hanayome, Toshiue no Hito, Ai Yori Aoshi, Mahou Sensei Negima, Psychic Academy, H2, Touch, Girls Bravo, Sweety, The Hating Girl, Mahoraba, Maburaho, Tenshi no Shippo, Tenjou Tenge, Inu Yasha, Futari Ecchi, Haru Yo Koi, Narue no Sekai, Kannaduki no Miko(serialized in shounen ace, yes its shounen), DearS, School Rumble, Onegai Twins, Onegai Teacher, Rizelmine, Ah My Goddess, ...

all these manga/anime are targeted at male audience simply because they are serialized in magazines targeted at male audience.

the above list is just a small list(a very small list of romantic mangas for guys), there are many manga/anime targteted at male audience that has romance in it.
or are you going to say that Love Hina is shoujo just for having a romantic theme in it? ^^;

Azumanga Daioh is serialized in a shounen magazine so by that alone is enough to consider it a shounen manga/anime.

(sorry for bad english, again I mean no offense to anyone).

Last edited by NeoSam on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:52 am; edited 2 times in total
NeoSam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:

Albiet, I still cling to the serialization magazine way of defining what audience a manga is directed to. Although girls may enjoy a series, if the serialization magazine is directed towards males, it will never enjoy a huge female fanbase in Japan (mind you, because we'll never have the manga market that is in Japan and I'm quite glad for that, that manga in other countries can be enjoyed by both genders).

thats exactly how it is.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:
Dormcat, I never tried to say Azumanga Daioh was shoujo, or shounen, I just said that it wasn't shounen, and that it had more shoujo themes

(snip)

I noticed that shounen was taken down from it, but did you carefully look that I have not suggested it for shoujo?

In the first post of this thread, KariShyGirl wrote:
I was just wondering if you could change the genre of Azumanga Daioh to shoujo.

(snip)

I can give you at least 3 reasons it is a shoujo.

I respect different opinions, but I don't like contradicting words from one mouth in less than 72 hours. And your use of punctuation marks has not been improved.

Enough said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KariShyGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I give up, please leave me alone :'(, only continue to reply here if you are a person who likes picking on people :'(, I want this thread deleted Sad
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Judging genre solely based on which magazine it was serialized in is not the brightest method,

Ooh I like this discussion.
I'm not sure what you are basing your genre naming on, but the magazine serial is the only way to tell whether a series is aimed at boys, girls, young men, young women, cooking students, or whatever is out there.
Often there will come along a series with strong appeal from audiences outside its target audience, such as Prince of Tennis, which is serialized in Shounen Jump but has a lot of female fans. That doesn't change the fact that Prince of Tennis is an action manga for young boys.

To try and define shoujo as a series that focuses on character development and romantic relationships is ridiculous. That kind of definition would apply to Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road, both of which were serialized in seinen manga anthologies.

No, all shoujo means is "aimed for girls". That includes Clamp's violent works like X or intimate girl-girl relationship stories like Maria-sama ga Miteru. There is no reason why a violent/action work can't be designed with a female audience in mind, much like there is no reason to think that something like Azumanga Daioh can be designed with men in mind (it runs in a serial aimed at men who like young girls).

And despite a target audience, there's of course nothing wrong for someone outside of that audience to enjoy said work.

Oh, and NeoSam's post explains it all.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This topic is worth discussing, but I'm locking it because its getting a bit personal at times.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2