• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Hidamari Sketch, Glass Mask, Neo Angelique Abyss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
samuelp wrote:

So is Hidamari Sketch... It seems people forgot that was on Crunchyroll...

That's Sketchbook Full Colors, not Hidamari. (Yes, very easy to make mistake.)

Oh, stand corrected then.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly intrested in "Exactly like the fansubs"o vision releases.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I'm not familiar with any of these shows, but I'm super-glad that Sentai is licensing and announcing stuff so fast. I'm not too hung-up about no dubbing; I imagine they will probably eventually get back into the dubbing business. I guess it's just not feasible for them at the moment.

Yeah, I think they will get back into it sometime as well. It's just going to be a long while before they can.

Once they partner up with FCI/Pony Canyon and TBS they will probably dub at least 6 titles a year.

Anyway, I can't wiat for them to license Hyakko and Sumomo Momomo.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I see a lot of titles there I will be purchasing come January!
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Hidamari Sketch! Fantastic. I never expected that to get a release.
I'll be ordering that for sure.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaay!! Neo Angelique Abyss got licensed!! And it was on Crunchyroll!! I am so getting this title! I hope other titles that are streaming on Crunchyroll get licensed (Shugo Chara, Aoi Hana, Natsume Yuujinchou, etc.)! But when is Sentai gonna dub these shows!? If I had my own licensing company, I would dub all the titles I could license!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Yaaaay!! Neo Angelique Abyss got licensed!! And it was on Crunchyroll!! I am so getting this title! I hope other titles that are streaming on Crunchyroll get licensed (Shugo Chara, Aoi Hana, Natsume Yuujinchou, etc.)! But when is Sentai gonna dub these shows!? If I had my own licensing company, I would dub all the titles I could license!

Yay, you'd also have to pay the voice actors and studio technicians, not to mention pay for the studio rental fees and then pay people to edit and mix and what not! And then to recoup that cost, you have to raise the price of the DVD, hooray! And hope people buy enough of it to equal the cost of dubbing it. It's not like dubbing is just some quick and easy thing you tack on.

I wonder if ADV/Sentai/Section 23, whatever they go by these days, will put it in airing order, or some kind of chronological order. Not that it really makes any kind of difference. I just hope that they get x 365 and all of the specials. And then maybe something like GA as well. For shows like these, I'm just not sure a dub could cut it.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
said it before [EDIT: well then, you don't need to say it again if you're not going to add anything constructive to the thread. No soapboxing.]
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Neon Angelique is one I've been interested in for a while, so I will definitely grab it. Will probably give Glass Mask a try as well. I imagine they will all be on Anime Network sooner or later, so I might even have a chance to test them out first.

Sentai's releases are quite affordable, with perhaps the exception of Ghost Hound, so I have no qualms with them. Yeah I miss the dubs, but I would rather have a few good shows than what some of the other companies are putting out (or not putting out in some cases.) Their encoding and video quality are much better than Funi's, and they don't have anywhere near as many issues as Bandai's discs, and all for lower prices. So I can't complain about it too much.

I'm sure they want to dub titles, but right now the titles they are acquiring don't really have the sales support for them. But you never know, some of the stuff they have released has done really well, especially for sub-only releases. But even if or when they start dubbing, it will never go back to the way that ADV dubbed everything.

Oh yeah, and let me remember a few important. Sentai doesn't announce a new license and make us wait six months to a year for it, and they can actually hit street dates! They're about the only R1 left that can actually accomplish the latter.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I've never paid attention to Hidamari Sketch, which seems to be the easy winner here. Glass Mask, however, I'm quite interested in. I'll be sure to check it out before the DVDs are released. Neo Angelique does not really excite me at all, especially because it looks incredibly trashy from the plot summary... But I will at least look at the other two.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure they want to dub titles, but right now the titles they are acquiring don't really have the sales support for them. But you never know, some of the stuff they have released has done really well, especially for sub-only releases. But even if or when they start dubbing, it will never go back to the way that ADV dubbed everything.

Yeah. Plus the fact that so many good anime companies are dying or are dead (Geneon, ADV, Central Park Media, Kadokawa USA, etc.) and part of this is this durn economy's fault!! Well, at least there's this and Discotek (Sea Prince and Fire Child DVD release FTW!!!). I better hope the economy gets better so that anime companies can be born and start dubbing shows again...and that 4Kids changes it's a"all-dub all-edits no japanese" ways.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
I thought FUNimation would get Glass Mask! At least it's finally licensed, though.

But I'm not touching any of Sentai's stuff until they get it in their heads to do the right thing and DUB IT. You hear that, Sentai? Dub. Dub, goddamn it! Stop alienating potential customers and start putting bilingual audio on everything that hasn't already been dubbed! (Only stuff I'll ever touch from them right now is their Geneon/Urban Vision rescues.)

At least The Company Formerly Known as ADV seems to be releasing stuff on time, though.
Because your strategy worked the first time they tried putting a dub on everything.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, Hidamari Sketch! NICE!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
said it before but ill never pay their asking prices for SUBS ONLY

Ghost Hound is the only one whose price seems a bit high.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I do kind of have a pet peeve, though, of anime licensors not using the English titles that manga companies have already established (Black God/Kurokami, Sunshine Sketch/Hidamari Sketch). It just makes things unnecessarily confusing.

Hidamari is the name of a place in this case, though, not just another word. While I agree that something like Black God/Kurokami makes more sense to translate, changing Hidamari to Sunshine wouldn't add any level of understanding to the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5