• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Air Raid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
I just realised something. Bamboo doesn't do this column anymore. Now, you may be asking "so what?", or maybe even "duh dtm42, didn't ya know?". Well, the thing is, ANN is even slower than me, and doesn't know that she quit already. It still has her as the accredited columnist. Seriously, click on "views", the eighth listing down, can't really miss it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
Over $3 for each One Piece episode?! You're paying too much, wait for a RightStuf sale or something, you could (once the DVDs are caught up) get 390 episodes for $900. Way better deal.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
underbase wrote:
Saturn wrote:
I have to say that I find the writing style of the new Shelf Life to be extremely grating. I understand that she has her own style and is entitled to it, but it's presented like a high schooler's blog-- not exactly professional.

Hmm, I'm actually enjoying her writing style a lot. It's casual and conversational, and feels like a real person you might know just giving their views on a few shows.

So many reviewers use their columns as a vehicle to 'show' the world how unbelievably sophisticated and erudite they are. Their reviews tend toward the negative, as it seems more worldly to be cynical and pick apart a show's direction, theme, or whatever. Bonus points if they can work in a reference to a Gordian Knot or Occam's Razor or some other arcane philosophical term.

To find a reviewer who works to just honestly describe a show, usually in a fairly positive light even if they found issue with it, is a pleasure.

And honestly, her reviews are just plain fun to read. Not much arguing with that.

This, a million times.

I really fail to see how their writing style is THAT different. Bamboo definitely did the blogging bits during reviews too- not just the paragraph preceding. Only difference I can really feel is it feels like Erin uses shorter (more?) paragraphs, which stylistically I am fine with.

Also, I personally LOVE how she references other anime. When describing the vibe of a certain show without being wordy, there is nothing that can take the place of a reference. Veterans will understand that reference, and people new to the scene will hopefully follow up, and expand their knowledge of the medium.

I also kinda agree with her on TSR. The villains of both seasons really irked me, though the 2nd season more notably so. Also, for a stiff $70, no thanks. I feel like price carries a great weight with most people's shelves, and I'm glad she mentioned this along with her criticisms, as it is a definite factor with Blu-ray releases.

Keep up the good work Erin!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I just realised something. Bamboo doesn't do this column anymore. Now, you may be asking "so what?", or maybe even "duh dtm42, didn't ya know?". Well, the thing is, ANN is even slower than me, and doesn't know that she quit already. It still has her as the accredited columnist. Seriously, click on "views", the eighth listing down, can't really miss it.

Oh, give me a goddamn break, DTM.

That listing - which isn't how most people discover or read the column, as you well know - hasn't been changed yet because there's a waiting period when it comes to new writers taking over established columns. There are 5 years worth of Bamboo's columns and then 3 weeks' worth of Erin. So it hasn't been changed yet.

"ANN is even slower than me!" is some playground nonsense, man. You're reaching and making yourself look really childish in the process.
Seca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:02 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
One Piece- the only one of the Shonen Jump trinity that I can't figure out for the life of me (actually, I like to think of it as a quad-inity (sp?) due to my love for Gintama, but US fans seem to recognize Naruto-Bleach-One Piece as the three greatest ongoing Jump properties). One Piece is so long, and it's about pirates, and pirates are historically bad guys, and the main character can stretch, and what's so great about it?! Says me, but I feel like I'm missing out...

I wouldn't let the basic premise of the series stop you from trying it out. Yea the plot sounds rather plain but the strength of the story is the characters and the world they live in.

Seriously give it try, though understand it's one of those series that starts off slow but it really just gets better and better and IMHO it has yet to truly hit a 'slump' like other long running shounen manga series have. If you're still not enjoying it by the end of the Arlong arc (pretty much by the end of the 1st season) though, then maybe it's just not to your taste.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
Zac: I hear Walmart is having a sale on sense of humours. Might want to check it out.

Seca wrote:
If you're still not enjoying it by the end of the Arlong arc (pretty much by the end of the 1st season) though, then maybe it's just not to your taste.

Wait wait wait wait. According to Wikipedia the first season was sixty-two episodes long (before it was butchered by 4Kids). That's a heck of a lot of episodes to watch just to know if I'm going to like it or not. Especially if I'm doing the responsible thing and buying the episodes instead of downloading them or illegally streaming them.

So is there an earlier episode in the series (preferably in the single digits) that can be used as a new yardstick? I knew I liked Bleach - as in really liked it - by the end of episode five.* Surely One Piece doesn't take much longer to "get good"?

Of course, the first fifteen episodes of Bleach are some of the best in the series, so that might explain why I was hooked so early.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
One Piece is so long, and it's about pirates, and pirates are historically bad guys, and the main character can stretch, and what's so great about it?! Says me, but I feel like I'm missing out...

Naruto is so long, and it's about ninjas, and ninjas are historically secretive and "hide in the shadows", and the main character wears orange has a fox demon and is very loud, and what's so great about it?

I think you haven't even read or watched One Piece.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
I didn't much care for 'The Second Raid' either. I wasn't bothered by the villains but I think they may have tried to go too serious and dark with it. The original series, despite some more serious parts was overall pretty lighthearted. Trying to get really serious with it just kind of gives it a depressing feeling. Also, it makes the few moments of comic relief feel unfunny and out of place. I just don't know that this ever really had the capacity to be this serious. I mean, it's such a silly series to begin with. The entire premise, is ridiculous. To it's credit though the ending feels pretty dynamic and powerful. It brings a effective feeling of conclusion even in spite of the fact that the story is woefully incomplete.

Ralifar wrote:
This just seems like pointless complaining to me. Maybe if you actually explained why you felt it was grating and what in it makes you think it's presented like a high schooler's blog I might consider your post relevant, but as you just whine like a baby, it just makes you seem...well, lacking.

When you include needless personal attacks it only serves to destroy your credibility and draw discussion away from your actual point. I think Saturn is going out of his/her way to voice their complaints without being rude or nasty so can't you be civil as well?

Anyway, I assume what they meant was that Erin's writing style is very casual and unstructured. She tends to use a lot of comparisons, focus on one particular scene or element rather than addressing a variety of aspects. It's more her quick impression of the series (like you'd get if you ask someone in conversation) rather than a complete review. To some extent, this kind of writing is just inherent to the structure of Shelf Life but she tends to take it to the extreme whereas Bamboo still kept it somewhat close to the style of ANN's full reviews. Personally, I'd prefer something in the middle. I somewhat enjoy the more casual and personal style but I'd like to see her tighten it up just a bit.

Zac:

Maybe you should change the writer to Erin but mention it was formerly done by Bamboo. Or you could say something in the explanation (either that it's recently been taken over by Erin or that it used to be done by Bamboo).
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

That's a heck of a lot of episodes to watch just to know if I'm going to like it or not. Especially if I'm doing the responsible thing and buying the episodes instead of downloading them or illegally streaming them.

One Piece has several legal streaming options, including hulu and ANN. No need to do anything illegal.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote
I would also like to express disagreement with Erin's review of Full Metal Panic: 2nd Raid. The dub is excellent, enough so I don't feel like ever listening to the Japanese (and I watched the Japanese version first). And the villain is so disturbing and psychotic, almost making Gauron seem like a decent man in comparison, that he's so unpredictable and unbelievably entertaining because of it.

But I also have no problem with her writing style. Even if I won't always agree with her opinioins, I think she's doing a good job with this column. Alas, she'll always have some rude forumites like everybody else, sadly.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess it had to happen eventually...Erin has expressed an opinion that just flat out has me scratching my head: i.e. how the heck can anybody not like the FMP dubs??? Quality is in the ear of the beholder, of course, but I've always considered FMP some of the strongest dubbing work around. Thanks to that series, one of my fondest fantasies is to have Luci Christian berate me.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
It should probably be mentioned that the FMP BDs are upscales. Yes, they look better than the notoriously bad DVDs (eugh, the interlacing!), but they're definitely not in HD.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
As for FMP, she did explain why she didn't like it, and her comments about the dub were her personal opinion. She didn't outright say it was bad, she said she just never cared for it. And there is nothing wrong with mentioning other anime - it serves as a good reference point.

And yet there still hasn't been anything "Perishable." How bad is bad, if bad is okay? If everything is always good, then the credibility (and therefore the value) of the column becomes questionable.

Most TV is garbage. Anime is just TV. Granted, the licensing process filters out most of the garbage, but not all of it. Plus everything that gets boxed gets boxed because somebody thinks it will sell enough to be profitable. And yet that doesn't make it good.

I'm not encouraging trashing something just to trash something. I'm pretty sure I'd hate being the person forced to watch bad anime and forced to write about it (and forced to say "thank you" for meager wages). As a reader, I'm still waiting for that extra data point, though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
One Piece has several legal streaming options, including hulu and ANN. No need to do anything illegal.

One Piece is available here at ANN? I can't find it, and I'm currently looking at all the titles since late February.

Also, no point in saying "use Hulu" when I can't use it. Look at my location to see why.

----------

I don't mind the Full Metal Panic! dub. Sure, Chris Patton in yet another Mecha title, but I sort of think he's good so I don't mind. The Japanese cast is generally a lot better, but that's because the original cast was just so good, not because the dub was horrid. It's actually perfectly okay.

My personal take for the franchise is that The Second Raid is much better than the original, which had more than its fair share of weak episodes. Oh, and Gauron was an atrocious villain. spoiler[Die goddamnit, just die.] As for Fumoffu, I don't think you can properly compare it to the other two (apples and oranges, sort of), but I rated it higher than them because its re-watch value is just insane. I must have seen episode ten (the rugby episode) at least a dozen times, and I'm not exaggerating. It is mind-blowingly hilarious, and you won't see Anime comedy and parody done better. Just watch it subbed, as Kaname's Seiyuu Satsuki Yukino is way way better than Luci Christian, and the original performance made the episode for me.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess that's not helpful in terms of comparing it to other Blu-ray DVDs... but man, what a sharp picture! When a character gets decapitated, you can really see all the details the animators drew in the neck!

This made me giggle, I've never actually watched a Blu-Ray movie yet but I remember being blown away by seeing Morbito on my dad's high depth tv once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7