• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Bebop Producer Reveals 1212 Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
I went and sought out Bebop after people raved about it. It was OK, perhaps just not my cup of tea. But it is not hard to see a live action movie about bounty hunters in space doing well. I think it would be unreasonable to expect it to do better at the box office than Serenity, which did not do all that well.
juno_senei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
jqsilver wrote:

I still want to see Zac Efron as Light from Death Note, though.

THAT would be the best - hahaha!!!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
jqsilver wrote:
I wonder how many failures it will take for them to give up on this. Speed Racer and Astro Boy both did pretty badly. I can't really imagine Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop really doing well as live action movies.

I still want to see Zac Efron as Light from Death Note, though.

what are you talking about, astro boy did well internationally. it broke china's record on ticket sales for cgi based movies. it overtook ice age. i don't know if the low sale in the us was due to bad promotion, but to say the film did badly overall is simply wrong.
That's because the Chinese made it. Wink
The Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Some of them might succeed but it still feels a bit redundant to re-make animation as live-action when when of them are moving pictures. For example Dragon Ball manga is kung fu cinema exaggerated to work in drawn world and Cowboy Bebop was originally to work as ann animated series as opposed to live-action. I believe there's going to be some sort of loss in information when already live-action influenced animation is in turn adapted to live-action.

I don't see how that argument works, just because say Batman was a successful comic and cartoon series back in 92, does that mean they shouldn't have made Dark Knight?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
No, Road to Perdition was an adaptation of Road to Perdition Rolling Eyes

Anyways, hopefully Cowboy Bebop will be good. It seems he has enough faith in it to go ahead with more anime projects. Anime movies may yet hit their stride, like comic book movies have. And that could only help the anime industry.

lol, i assume that's sarcasm? since i'm not sure how anyone can miss the very first review stating the novel as being heavily influenced by lone wolf and cub for people who actually bother to click on the link. i haven't even heard of the manga title till now.

Embarassed Did miss that actually. But still, I wouldn't necessarily consider Road to Perdition the movie as the (American) film adaptation of Lone Wolf and Cub, at least not in the way we're talking about anime/manga adaptations here. But, whatever.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The idea of a studio entirely dedicated to producing live-action films based on comics, cartoons, and video games from Japan sounds like fun. It's only a matter of time until we learn of its employees' plans for their first movie production.
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
It really does depend upon who's running the show. If a director can be found who is both competent and has a good understanding of the series, then it could work.
Otherwise, it will be yet another Hollywood disaster.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know. An entire studio dedicated to just remaking other people's stuff in a format they weren't designed for. I know Hollywood's constantly been panned for having no originality anymore, but this just seems ridiculously lame. I love anime too, but I rarely would think of how much something needed to be a movie. Stuff is usually made as animation or comic for a reason.

Sure, it's a case by case thing, and I'm not saying everything should be left alone (I still think Monster would work well as a LA TV series), but a whole company that does nothing but think up how to adapt/promote/rip-off stuff that already exists? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:

I don't see how that argument works, just because say Batman was a successful comic and cartoon series back in 92, does that mean they shouldn't have made Dark Knight?

No, but even in the case of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight the transition wasn't totally smooth, for there are scenes where Bat costume looks simply stupid around more ordinary surroundings.

The problem with Cowboy Bebop is that it isn't a great series because it has a great and original story but because it was executed very well.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Primus wrote:
jtstellar wrote:
what are you talking about, astro boy did well internationally. it broke china's record on ticket sales for cgi based movies. it overtook ice age. i don't know if the low sale in the us was due to bad promotion, but to say the film did badly overall is simply wrong.

It has yet to gross back it's production costs and likely won't durring it's theatre run. Ergo, it did bad.

These days it's all about the DVD sales. A movie can flop in theaters and still sell a ton on DVD. It's actually the norm these days. I hear the theater run is mostly just a formality, with all the big money being once it's out on DVD. So I'd say wait for Astro Boy to come out on DVD before you say it did bad.

The movie had a production budget of $65million, and has grossed just above $20 million worldwide. Lets say when the worldwide theatrical release is over, it's around $40-$50million (being very generous here). To make a profit on the movie (remember, production budgets, don't include marketing), they'd have to sell tonnes of DVDs. It'll probably do decently on DVD, but not enough to make it sucessful.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Primus wrote:
jtstellar wrote:

It has yet to gross back it's production costs and likely won't durring it's theatre run. Ergo, it did bad.

These days it's all about the DVD sales. A movie can flop in theaters and still sell a ton on DVD. It's actually the norm these days. I hear the theater run is mostly just a formality, with all the big money being once it's out on DVD. So I'd say wait for Astro Boy to come out on DVD before you say it did bad.

The movie had a production budget of $65million, and has grossed just above $20 million worldwide. Lets say when the worldwide theatrical release is over, it's around $40-$50million (being very generous here). To make a profit on the movie (remember, production budgets, don't include marketing), they'd have to sell tonnes of DVDs. It'll probably do decently on DVD, but not enough to make it sucessful.

Where did you get $20 million worldwide? $16.2 million domestic plus $5.2 million opening weekend in China. That's over $21 million with just US 3 weeks and China's opening weekend. I would think it has pulled in a several million more in the 3 weeks since its opening weekend in China plus a few million more from other international markets.
kenji_salk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
No, but even in the case of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight the transition wasn't totally smooth, for there are scenes where Bat costume looks simply stupid around more ordinary surroundings.

You're not even discussing anything of merit that makes up the quality of a film, just complaints about the believability of the costume.

The Batman films that Chris Nolan has made (Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) are well done and thought provoking films that are true to the source material and have garnered critical acclaim. I'd say that's about as big a success as a comic-to-film adaptation could get.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
The problem with Cowboy Bebop is that it isn't a great series because it has a great and original story but because it was executed very well.

I'm definitely in agreement with you there.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote
kenji_salk wrote:

You're not even discussing anything of merit that makes up the quality of a film, just complaints about the believability of the costume.

I don't think there's much to complain about the films besides some visual inconsistency like the futuristic train rails in the Begins but film is a visual medium.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:

Where did you get $20 million worldwide? $16.2 million domestic plus $5.2 million opening weekend in China. That's over $21 million with just US 3 weeks and China's opening weekend. I would think it has pulled in a several million more in the 3 weeks since its opening weekend in China plus a few million more from other international markets.

I did say just above $20 million. Which $21 million would be a part of Rolling Eyes

I still think this movie will be around $40-$50 million worldwide if it doesn't sink in other international markets, like it has in Japan, and the US. Still doesn't cover that $65 million budget, and I doubt DVD will net them $15 million+.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:

I did say just above $20 million. Which $21 million would be a part of Rolling Eyes

I still think this movie will be around $40-$50 million worldwide if it doesn't sink in other international markets, like it has in Japan, and the US. Still doesn't cover that $65 million budget, and I doubt DVD will net them $15 million+.

According the latest ANN news, Astro Boy has made more money than Ponyo did, would you say Ponyo was a failure then, since apparently AstroBoy is a failure even when it's still making money?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3