• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Code Geass Project's Launch Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
One word: HOW?

There's just no place to go after R2.

The best direction for a sequel that they could take in my opinion is making a 1-cour slice of life about spoiler[the daily lives of Kallen and other survivors after the Zero Requiem as they live peaceful lives, but still remember Lelouch and the entire war. Also, maybe feature a bit of Suzaku and how he lives up to his new role as Zero, the ally of justice.]

I doubt that's going to happen though. Knowing the creators, if they decided to make it a sequel, they'll probably introduce some new conflict, or even worse, spoiler[bring Lelouch back to life.] So I'm instead banking for a spin-off of some sort.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I was thinking they may announce one since there's a Geass event over at Japan today and that they still haven't announced a show for MBS' sunday block after Fullmetal Alchemist. Who knows there's really going to be one.
an.atticus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass without spoiler[Lelouch just wont be the same....but if they like brought him back......that be awesome, i mean comon lelocuh is def smart enough to get out of something like that...and they could make up a million reasons how he could have survived] ya theres allot of potential for disaster but it could be awesome
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Stefnick wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Given how the series ended, what story can they *possibly* tell in another series?

Actually there are lots of speculation among fans that spoiler[Lelouch actually didn't die]. So a third season might not be so impossible.

I really hope this means more Code Geass anime.

It has been officially confirmed by the creators of the show that spoiler[Lelouch is dead]. It also says so in the guide book for the series. As such, it would be quite difficult to continue the series where it left off. A sequel or prequel is conceivable, but both with have to be spoiler[without Zero (since he'd be dead in a sequel and he wouldn't be Zero yet in the a prequel)] which would seriously hamper them. There's always the possibility of an alternate retelling of some kind - be it from one of the manga series or something original.

Really, it's hard to say what they'd do at this point. Code Geass was quite popular and successful, so it's no surprise that they want to do more. It's really just a question of what they'll do. There's not exactly an obvious path for them to take for a new show.

Code Geass is my favorite anime of all time (and I've seen a lot), but I'm definitely leery about what they'll do with a new series. I'm not entirely happy with the ending, but it fit so perfectly, that it's hard to complain. And don't really have any interest in an alternate retelling, but we'll just have to wait and see what they do. All this announcement really means is that they've actually figured out a way to make more Code Geass, not what that will be or if it will be any good.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
A project focusing on Suzaku as Zero might be good. If this amounts to a cheap rehash, that'll be excessively disappointing after the speculation the staff were offering about a year ago.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I could be remembering that wrong. I also seem to remember (also, possibly incorrectly) Sunrise saying they would like to turn Geass into a Gundam-like franchise, which I would assume entails alternate universe stories.

The difference between Gundam and Code Geass at this point is that Gundam doesn't really rely on a particular character or characters. There are a basic set of things that make up a Gundam show. If you have those things, it's a Gundam show. So, they're pretty much able to make new Gundam shows ad infinitum as long as they can come up with something new and interesting for another series.

Code Geass, on the other hand, was very much centered on its characters. There are key characters - like Lelouch and Suzaku - who are necessary for it work. Without them, it wouldn't be Code Geass. So, an alternate retelling would basically have to have them. As such, it would really be an alternate retelling as opposed to a different story with a similar setup. And I have a hard time believing that that would work anywhere near as well.

Now, Gundam obviously didn't start out as a major vehicle for alternate stories with similar premises, so they could do something similar with Code Geass, making new shows, and bit by bit defining what makes a "Code Geass" show, just like they did with Gundam. However, again, Code Geass relies heavily on its characters for its very premise, and the show is very much centered on them. So, it would be very difficult for them to make other Code Geass shows wich weren't just a redo of the previous ones with various details changed.

Of course, they could do other stories the Code Geass universe with very few, if any, of the original characters involved (though someone like spoiler[C.C. would be likely given that she's immortal and could appear in any sequel or prequel)] and set them at points in time well before or after the original, just in the same world. But again, because so much of Code Geass relies on its characters, that would be quite difficult to do well.

In any case, it would clearly be quite difficult to make any more Code Geass (or at least any more Code Geass of good quality) regardless of what they do. So, we'll just have to wait and see what they came up with.
devil leonx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Been hoping CG would come back I hope its a contiues from the first one im almost dieing to know if a certain someone lived after all!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
A project focusing on Suzaku as Zero might be good. If this amounts to a cheap rehash, that'll be excessively disappointing after the speculation the staff were offering about a year ago.

Code Geass R2 was worse than Gundam Seed Destiny, if people are willing to believe that Lelouch knows what exactly someone is about to say, or the insanely horrible actions commited by Lelouch where necessary than they will watch anything.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Ug, I enjoyed Code Geass the same way I enjoyed s-cry-ed. The ending was really the only part I'd call 'good'. This better be alternative universe or something.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Ug, I enjoyed Code Geass the same way I enjoyed s-cry-ed. The ending was really the only part I'd call 'good'. This better be alternative universe or something.

The ending becomes horrible once you figure out that Lelouch probably could have talked Schneizel into peace, and avoided the whole war. It's like they where trying to go for a Gray Vs. Grey Conflict but because Schneizel and Lelouch's plans are so horriffic it becomes black and black.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Code Geass R2 was worse than Gundam Seed Destiny

As pointless as this discussion is, I'm sure a fair amount of people would dispute that. At least Code Geass didn't recycle so much animation and never lost sight of who its protagonist was, which is already saying something because GSD couldn't even manage that. Even someone like you can't really argue otherwise.

Regarding the rest of your issues...I don't think arguing over plot points and tropes that, in all honesty, have already been used in other shows with equally unrealistic results is going to lead us anywhere. Besides, it's irrelevant to whatever new series (or something) comes up next.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
I could be remembering that wrong. I also seem to remember (also, possibly incorrectly) Sunrise saying they would like to turn Geass into a Gundam-like franchise, which I would assume entails alternate universe stories.

The difference between Gundam and Code Geass ...

The same could have been said of another Sunrise show, Mai-Hime...but a year or so after, we got Mai-Otome. Yes a lot of the main characters reappeared in Otome, but they were mostly nods to the fans and took second stage to Arika and the rest of the new cast, and the prequel OVA had even less of the original cast. My point being the characters weren't necessarily the defining feature of the series. If there is a defining "gimmick" for Code Geass, it's the Geass powers, and maybe the Knightmares, too. I imagine if this new Geass project is a series, it could very well be another Mai-Otome: an alternate universe, with much of the original cast reappearing in different roles, but with new characters as the protagonists. And of course fans trying to connect it to the original series Laughing (there are actually some good theories about the Hime-Otome connection).
raradragoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
my guess is there going to use a different character shown at 49 sec into this video, which is during the "obey me world" speech in R2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDuSUDlK2dc
i say this because why else would sunrise randomly focus on a kid.
Senna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
There are so, so many things Code Geass left unresolved (C.C.'s real name, for example, along with a load of other small things that were hinted to be important and amounted to nothing) that I'm sort of happy to hear this news. On the other hand, I don't want another R2. Ideally (and I don't expect this happen), all the lulz of R2 would be undone and the writers would redo the second season, beginning right from the conclusion of season one.

But, barring that, it would be great to see a side story or prequel or something.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Something like Mai Otome where the staff looked at what worked and what didn't and changed it could work, but I simply don't trust Sunrise anymore.

Where probably going to get a sequel that reveals that spoiler[Lelouch is alive] and pretty much be the same alternating between Zero laughing evily while massacring people and then 20 minutes later weeping for all the dead.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12