• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad After Story Sub.DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Well I just finished episode 2 of AS, so give me some time before I can form a solid opinion.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
I'm not sure what it says of the intelligence of people who consider the ending a cop-out. Well, ok, I know what it says, but since I have nothing nice to say about those people, I'll stop there.

It says that we like consistency? Like Theron mentioned here in the forums, the "cop-out" in question doesn't refer to spoiler[the method that brought Nagisa and Ushio back to life, but rather that they were brought back to life at all. Any time someone gets brought back from the dead, it makes their earlier death - no matter how well-done that scene might have been - seem kinda pointless.]

Clannad would've been perfect for me if it had ended after episode 18. That being said, I still loved the series and bought every DVD... The stuff it did right outweighed the stuff I felt it did wrong.
Senna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Good review. I'm a sucker for happy endings, so I had little trouble with this one, but I can see why others find it disappointing.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

It says that we like consistency? Like Theron mentioned here in the forums, the "cop-out" in question doesn't refer to spoiler[the method that brought Nagisa and Ushio back to life, but rather that they were brought back to life at all. Any time someone gets brought back from the dead, it makes their earlier death - no matter how well-done that scene might have been - seem kinda pointless.]

Kind of pointless? That's a harsh comment. I think it taught Tomoya some valuables lessons and helped him grow up.
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I agree 100%. I could have written this review myself. This is EXACTLY how I feel about the second half of Clannad: After Story.
Me too! I agree completely. I love how everything finally ties together and makes sense. I was just like "OH!!" when it all was over. A masterpiece and definitely deserves to be #2 on the top rated list!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Kind of pointless? That's a harsh comment.

You think so? I didn't really mean it to sound harsh. I was referring more to the trope in general than how it was applied specifically in After Story. Though it certainly frustrated me there, too. I think it could have been handled better, definitely. The tragedy was done so well that just getting a "do-over" afterwards seems cheap in comparison.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
The ending really couldn't have been different unless Kyoto Animation opted to be unfaithful to the original game, which is not really what they do with the Key adaptations.

There were a few things that bothered me by the end story (more with ep. 21 than 22, actually), but looking back on it after finishing, it's more to do with the difficulty of adapting the kind of story originally intended for a game (given what I've heard about how to get the real ending of the game, it makes more sense to me). I actually really enjoyed how it ended myself (what some consider a "cop out" doesn't really bother me given how it has been set up since the beginning in the series), and it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the strongest part of the series around 16-18.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Taco-chan wrote:
A masterpiece and definitely deserves to be #2 on the top rated list!

Taken as a whole, the series is well-overrated at #2. The first few episodes are not that strong, even if I did like the way they handled the ending.

I expect that rating will fall with time as more people see it to conclusion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I think it could have been handled better, definitely. The tragedy was done so well that just getting a "do-over" afterwards seems cheap in comparison.

I completely agree, which is why I personally hated that ending. It is not just that spoiler[Nagisa was brought back to life and Ushio was mystically healed, it was that the entire timeline was shifted back to a point which completely negated the stretch of that series that was actually good.] And don't forget the spoiler["She is born perfectly healthy!"] claim which made no sense seeing as how spoiler[Ushio's sickness seemed to surprise them all five years after her birth, yet this time they know right from the start?] Please. Basically, I see After Story as the most overrated anime series I've ever seen, and I rarely call anything overrated as I tend to hate the way people throw that term around. And yes, my opinion is God Razz
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

You would think so, but look at Code Geass R2. The reason both anime won't drop is because they are sequels. The first part of both series rooted out the "haters" leaving only fans and loyalists who will give it nothing but accolades.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Key wrote:

You would think so, but look at Code Geass R2. The reason both anime won't drop is because they are sequels. The first part of both series rooted out the "haters" leaving only fans and loyalists who will give it nothing but accolades.

Is it so hard some people to fathom that there are just plenty of people who just genuinely love this series? I agree that the first 8 episodes of after Story are rather weak in comparision but the next 14 episodes easily make up for it as personally it's the best anime I've ever had the privilidge of viewing.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Taco-chan wrote:
A masterpiece and definitely deserves to be #2 on the top rated list!

Taken as a whole, the series is well-overrated at #2. The first few episodes are not that strong, even if I did like the way they handled the ending.

Key stuff seems to be making progress inasmuch as the writing. I hope next time around they get it right!

Maybe the solution is a reverse-moe show.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

Kind of pointless? That's a harsh comment. I think it taught Tomoya some valuables lessons and helped him grow up.

Because in real life, if you learn your lesson and grow up, then spoiler[the people you love who died will come back to life! ]Very Happy

... ok, sorry, I couldn't help myself there.

*edited for the spoiler!!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Key wrote:

Is it so hard some people to fathom that there are just plenty of people who just genuinely love this series? I agree that the first 8 episodes of after Story are rather weak in comparision but the next 14 episodes easily make up for it as personally it's the best anime I've ever had the privilidge of viewing.

If this is the best anime you've ever seen then you should watch more Wink
mulrich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me I need to buy After Story. >_> It's funny this review appears now, as I'm actually in the process of semi-marathoning Clannad (the first series).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8