• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - OveraChivers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow Zac, having the japanese governement promote anime w/actual adult women and instructions on how to date them=most ingenious way to save anime and the japanese population ever :)
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Let me guess: Moe is evil and is killing the anime industry, and Zac hates it.

Let me guess. You're only here to talk about how evil and wrong Zac is for not having exactly the same tastes that you do, and for commenting on a trend that IS in fact causing the anime industry to stagnate.

Haha, well said.

I mean, I'm enjoying the moe boom while it lasts... But it really is time to diversify, especially if they want more success overseas. (But no Christian propaganda, I hope. I may have to turn in my nerd membership card if it ever comes to that.)
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Another great industry insider podcast! I just love these and we can now take even more speculation away!

However, a couple of questions remain...

For the new video player, will ads now be removed for subscribers or is this still a "licensing" issue?

Justin and I had a pretty good conversation about the way anime is financed, but I would still like to know how the studio gets added to a production committee.

How is the studio receiving royalties if all other parties are reaping the profits? I would assume the primary producers of the DVD would reap in this regard, since studios don't produce their own DVDs.

I can't fathom a studio would finance its own works. That would be like taking existing capital, throwing into the production committee, only to pay themselves right back for their own wages. Neutral

I'll listen to the podcast again tomorrow (was interrupted several times this evening) to ensure I simply didn't miss something.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Now there's nothing left to do but wait until others listen to the podcast and attack Zac's solution to helping the industry. Oh, this is going to be good.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd absolutely never go see a movie in 3d if it's not made for 3d. For that matter though, I just don't care much about 3d. I find it actually takes me out of the experience.

Regarding Ridley Scott, yeah, he is pretty hit or miss. Alien and Blade Runner are classics and I too am unapologetic in my love of Gladiator. Other than that...eh. Pretty mediocre based on what I've seen.

I honestly didn't mind Clash of the Titans. Although really, I find it tough to even express any sentiment on it. There are titans. They clash. I was mildly entertained for a couple hours. It's just such a completely empty experience that I can't really find anything to outright dislike about it. Of course it helps that I saw it right after Cop Out which was literally the worst movie I have seen in a year.

The Wire is without a doubt one of the best TV shows ever.

As a general rule, super powered Nazis is a fantastic premise. They would generally not be the protagonists though.

I absolutely hate these otaku/mainstream hybrid shows. I'd much rather just see otaku shows do their thing and have my kind of shows kept separate in their own little corner of the industry free of all that. Even if it means I see less shows I'm interested in.
fistofthemfk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

Let me guess. You're only here to talk about how evil and wrong Zac is for not having exactly the same tastes that you do, and for commenting on a trend that IS in fact causing the anime industry to stagnate.

Moe is one of the major reasons that I have a lot of friends who used to watch anime.

Very informative podcast. I like the idea of sexualizing realistic-looking adult women in anime to improve the birthrates in Japan.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Oh man, no Heat Guy J reference? The streak has been broken!

Oh no - it's in there.

...but where??
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Oh man, no Heat Guy J reference? The streak has been broken!

Oh no - it's in there.

...but where??

I think I can hear you very faintly saying it along with the theme at the end.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
awman, this is already out? man i haven't even done last weeks yet... But you said I don't want to miss this one, so i'm listening. was it just me or did Zac seem overly giddy this ep?

oh awesome, The Wire talk. bout time you get into it.

My only real experience with 3D is at like, amusement parks where they do the whole "4D" thing and the floor moves and junk

Zac, I really think you would enjoy Kimi ni Todoke. honestly, check out like at least the first episode.

no House of Five Leaves talk? Sad.. and where's the Durarara talk? you guys still watching that? And pacific talk, Zac. I was expecting Pacific talk

Dude, I've been comparing the moe craze to american reality TV like forever. It's so awesome to see him do that too.

inter... internationalizing the staff? you mean pure blooded Japanese aren't making my anime? this is ridiculous!

to fix this industry, someone just needs to give Yasuhiro Yoshiura, and/or Studio 4°C a lot of money.

none japanese stuff that inspires? dude! Eve no Jikan! based around like i,Robot/Isaac Asimov! I'm telling you, Yasuhiro Yoshiura is where it's at.

huh.. taking after Pixar? looks like anime will get back to it's roots and just be heavily Disney inspired shows (like, Hakujaden)

Dude, just turn Hannah Montana into some cheesy shoujo/josei romance. then you won't have to sexualize it at all <.<.

I might be into some Japanese outsources.. I mean, Rankin/Bass films were awesome. But yeah, i'd be down for any kind of new anthology. as long as it gets 4°C animating more.

man, Chi (lol chobits) keeps mentioning previous podcasts and the forum responses and stuff.. i wonder if he'll read this <.<

edit: ahah ahah! see, I wasn't making it up! I've really been comparing the the ecchi comedies to reality TV for awhile! animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=827401#827401

Last edited by Pandadice on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Stefnick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Aww...there doesn't seem to be a link to Chi's website on page

Gosh, making me google that long title myself Wink

Found it
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Justin: "[3-d] is not the miracle pill Hollywood thinks it is"

Neither is Blu-ray it seems. [Never mind the title. It's bull.]

Zac: "The Wire"

Been wanting to watch it, but I hate HBO DVD prices. Still haven't seen The Sopranos, 'cus of it. [Plus I'm back-logged enough on anime shows. Sad] Though I'm spottin' some good deals on Amazon...

"completely unacceptable in any way to the American audience"

Look how much flack Hit-Girl is taking.

"I really don't like Zemeckis' output"

You mean post-Forrest Gump, right?

Chi: "Japanese people like to do negotiations when they're drunk"

I guess that explains DB: E. Laughing

"None of that money comes back to Japan."

Wow, so those licensors have really been short-changing themselves. Though the converse is that, if they start demanding more residuals, we could actually end up seeing even less anime being licensed.

"They don't understand Americans at all."

Sort of like this Lupin episode I saw on 18-2 last night where he ended up saving ex-nazis from being blown up by a Jew out for revenge? Rolling Eyes
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Comments
Well, I just put the first season of The Wire on hold at my library thanks to you guys! Wink

I see this podcast was made before Funimation announced their Noitamina deal - and before you picked your favorite series of the season...

I am so far behind on watching a few fansubbed episodes. Personally, I don't mind being confused for 24 minutes if by the second episode things start shaping up (see again my love for Baccano!), and I don't know whether Night Raid will really delve into its potential moral ambiguity. Of course, I have to get past the opening minutes of awful Chinese if I want to find out.

Kaichou-sama... yeah, my impression was that it might have trouble carrying its premise over an entire series.

*skipping ahead*

Yes, Japanese universities are modeled on German universities in regards to having it easy once you're in, if I recall correctly.

Fascinating to learn about the inner workings of the anime industry! All we ever really see is the final product, not the process that goes into bringing it about. More of this in the future would be awesome.

Laughing on Zac's solution! spoiler[Anime to increase fertility rates! It's at least better than the Minister of Health's berating women to start pumping out more babies right now.]

*skipping ahead again*

Moe Moe Ice Cream-Kun...please don't give anyone ideas! Although done properly it could be a hilarious parody.

Humor is definitely a cultural construct. Finding things that are funny universally are difficult. Thus the slapstick.

Personally, I support people not being Pixar. The problem with our animation here is that we have Pixar (which is awesome) and everyone else who is pathetically trying to to be Pixar. Part of why last year was so refreshing was seeing stop-motion and 2D animation getting attention again. Let Pixar be Pixar, they do it fabulously, why try to just ape them?

Oh "cult"... one of my least favorite words. Call them new religions or new religious movements or NRMs, or something more neutral. Shinshuukyou. I'm a religious studies major (and MA), and I wrote my undergrad thesis on East Asian NRMs that were labeled as cults.

Moe Mary Magdalene... Laughing I'm actually more terrified of the idea of an anime Left Behind series or something like that, on the grounds that they are The Worst Books Ever Written. Unfortunately most "faith-based" entertainment... sucks. And I say this as a (quite socially liberal) religious person. There's much more meaning to be found in intelligent mainstream works.

Zameckis is BLECH. Seriously. My parents love Polar Express. I've seen all of five minutes of that and was scared off by the zombie children. Beowulf had okay moments, but by and large the character movements were very Shrek-esque, which is not a good thing when you're simultaneously trying to make it "real."

Great podcast!

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Cry me a river, manchild..
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Another great show.

As others have pointed out, I did not hear the Heat Guy J reference.

I don't know if I will listen again now that I know it is there, but I was just going to comment that I found out this week that Heat Guy J is currently unavailable on Netflix.
AkiraKaneda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Oh "cult"... one of my least favorite words. Call them new religions or new religious movements or NRMs, or something more neutral. Shinshuukyou. I'm a religious studies major (and MA), and I wrote my undergrad thesis on East Asian NRMs that were labeled as cults.

Actually, Christian studies -- the serious ones -- regularly refer to the "Hebrew cult" or the "Christian cult" as establishing the sect-like nature of certain movements. NRM is a politically-correct term, but not all religious movements are new, so "cult" works even at a graduate level. (Perhaps you're just referring to Zac's generally condescending attitude towards anything potentially religious, and I'd agree on that point.)

vashfanatic wrote:
Moe Mary Magdalene... Laughing I'm actually more terrified of the idea of an anime Left Behind series or something like that, on the grounds that they are The Worst Books Ever Written. Unfortunately most "faith-based" entertainment... sucks. And I say this as a (quite socially liberal) religious person. There's much more meaning to be found in intelligent mainstream works.

There's certainly Christian fiction that could be made into interesting animated films in the anime realm, but then again, I'm thinking Flannery O'Connor and C.S. Lewis, not Left Behind. The major thing I have against this thought process is not that it couldn't make the Japanese industry some money; it's that it's not truly anime. TBN doesn't care, but anime fans do, and I don't think any of us would really consider this product "anime" in any real sense of the word. I was at a local conference a few weeks ago and had a discussion on the "anime-ness" of Superbook, since it was commissioned stateside.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
AkiraKaneda wrote:
(Perhaps you're just referring to Zac's generally condescending attitude towards anything potentially religious, and I'd agree on that point.)

Alright, what?

Usually when people say "Zac always says [whatever]" I know what they read that they didn't like but what are you talking about here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6