• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Divine Ed-ification

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
One of the sadder points about scanlations eating into manga sales is that unlike fansubs, manga has an obvious, tangible benefit over its pirated counterpart. With fansubs, you can get the same video as is released on DVD or BD, since people rip those (and if they don't release a show on BD, you can actually get better video if it was shown on TV in HD). The main benefit of the physical DVD or BD (over it being actually legal) is that you can then use it in a player with your TV instead of needing to use your computer or set up a media center to play the video file on your TV. And while that is definitely beneficial, it's pretty minor, I think. You can get the show itself in good quality with the fansubs.

With scanlations, on the other hand, you're getting an inferior product. You're have to read it on the computer rather than on paper (unless you print it out), and it's questionable that the quality of the images are what they were on paper. Most people would consider it a major benefit to have the physical manga in hand rather than having to read it off of their computer screen. There is an obvious, tangible (literally tangible) benefit to buying the manga. In spite of this, however, there are plenty of folks who choose to download it rather than buy it when given the chance.

And the examples given in the podcast showed that there are indeed folks who were buying the manga who stopped when given the opportunity to get it for free instead. I cringe to think of what that means for anime where fansubs don't suffer the same loss of quality over their legal counterparts that scanlations do over published manga. Sure, there are plenty of folks who watch fansubs and then buy the DVDs or BDs when they're released (that's often what I do), and there are obviously going to be folks who will watch a fansub (or read a scanlation) who would never have bought it in the first place, but how many people just download the fansub where they would have bought it had they not had the pirated alternative? It's not a pleasant thought - especially when the anime and manga industries are doing so poorly right now.

Last edited by Kalessin on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Vertical was doing so well, I only see their titles in bookstores rarely (I've had to get most of the stuff I have from them off TRSI, although I do see the Ode to Kirihito reprints in Borders now), but that's good to know that they're set for now. Glad they actually reprint their manga instead of leaving us hanging with impossible to find volumes 19 and 20 (let you guess what series that is).

I can't wait to get my mitts on Twin Spica too, I never thought I'd see that licensed and the anime just kinda ended without much conclusion, and what better way to get a continuation than this! Also glad it's going for $10.95 since most of the other manga I have from them goes for at least $15 it'd seem. But hey, never thought I see this get published in the US, I can only hope they'd publish Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou someday because I doubt anyone else would bother to license it, despite its already sizeable fanbase and abunai's avatar doing subtle "read me!" demands upon all who see it, and if they did, I'd line up to buy it. I think it'd fit their line-up really well, even if I have only read a few chapters. And dammit, I really want to read this in a physically printed book, and not in Japanese because I cannot read Japanese. Yeah, I really hope someone gets around to licensing this *wink wink*
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
I get all that. But wasn't it ALWAYS the case that retailers would buy at $10 if the MSRP was $20. I can understand why they'd want to cut out the middleman and make more money, but I just don't get why this is suddenly a new or necessary idea.

Is it that the retailers are suddenly forcing the distributors to sell them the $20 product at a much lower price than they would have ten years ago? Or is it simply that people like Aniplex have decided their products are going to sell at such low numbers, there's no point in going through the traditional retail chain when they can make just as much money selling through their niche website?

Justin made it sound like online retailers have caused the distributors to make less money by selling their products for next to nothing. But again, what I don't get is, if one store sells a DVD for $30 and another sells the same DVD for $18, what does it matter for the distributor? Both stores would've bought the disc for $15, so how do the razor thin margins of the online store have any effect on the distributor's profit?

Ah, I get ya now.

But you just explained it yourself. You have two retailers, paying 15 dollars for a DVD, selling it for 30 and 18 dollars respectfully. The distributor simply cuts them out, and instead of selling 15 dollar DVDs to a third party, they sell 30 dollar DVDs directly to you.

If you sell 10,000 DVDs at 15 dollars a pop, you get 150,000.
If you sell 10,000 DVDs at 30 dollars a pop, you get 300,000.

Now then, you get into the nasty situation Justin and Zac mentioned, that nobody is going to pay MSRP for...well, anything. While prices are not quite Bandai Visual craziness, higher prices aren't going to help a sagging market in the long run. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Aw man. I'm annoyed that Gundam UC is apparently that good. I'm absolutely not paying that much for the BD. Maybe it's worth it but no. On the principle of it, it's not going to happen. That being the case though, I feel like I've got to do the right thing and not pirate it either. So fudge.

Yeah, elegant is the right word to describe Five Leaves. The whole thing is just so smooth.

I can't really ever see myself buying from their site. It just doesn't work me to buy a single thing at a time. I really need to buy bulk from somewhere like Rightstuf.

Honestly, I figure that if things are really so bad that this kind of little half release is the only option then to hell with it. We might as well just accept that the R1 industry is not a profitable market. The R1 fans might as well just use fansubs. Not that I want that to happen but I think at some point you just have to accept that a series isn't going to work here.
merr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
merr wrote:
I get all that. But wasn't it ALWAYS the case that retailers would buy at $10 if the MSRP was $20. I can understand why they'd want to cut out the middleman and make more money, but I just don't get why this is suddenly a new or necessary idea.

Is it that the retailers are suddenly forcing the distributors to sell them the $20 product at a much lower price than they would have ten years ago? Or is it simply that people like Aniplex have decided their products are going to sell at such low numbers, there's no point in going through the traditional retail chain when they can make just as much money selling through their niche website?

Justin made it sound like online retailers have caused the distributors to make less money by selling their products for next to nothing. But again, what I don't get is, if one store sells a DVD for $30 and another sells the same DVD for $18, what does it matter for the distributor? Both stores would've bought the disc for $15, so how do the razor thin margins of the online store have any effect on the distributor's profit?

Ah, I get ya now.

But you just explained it yourself. You have two retailers, paying 15 dollars for a DVD, selling it for 30 and 18 dollars respectfully. The distributor simply cuts them out, and instead of selling 15 dollar DVDs to a third party, they sell 30 dollar DVDs directly to you.

If you sell 10,000 DVDs at 15 dollars a pop, you get 150,000.
If you sell 10,000 DVDs at 30 dollars a pop, you get 300,000.

Yeah, but why do that now? I thought Justin was saying that the current, heavily-discounted online market has made things more difficult, so distributors are resorting to tactics like this in order to make money. But why has the online market made it more difficult for distributors? That's what I don't get.

The Aniplex strategy sounds like it would be just as effective even if there weren't heavy price erosion in the DVD market. In fact, the current market actually makes a model like that seem worse because, like you said, consumers are so used to paying below MSRP for things.

The way I understood it, Justin said the discounted online market SPECIFICALLY is bad for the distributors. But why is that the case? From their perspective, how is the situation any different than it was 10 years ago when everything got sold at MSRP? They still make the same amount of money either way. Why is cutting out the middleman suddenly so much more appealing?

The only thing I can think of is that it's a lot easier to set up an internet store nowadays, but that doesn't have much of anything to do with the online price erosion Justin was talking about.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
Zac: "Is the number of customers they're gonna lose substantial enough to that profit?"

I doubt it, given that it's still a better deal than the import would be. And given that there isn't much of a market here for GL dubbed, the only people making a fuss about that are probably the ones who already torrented it, and don't want to pay for it legally, anyway.

"Bandai dubbed Gundam"

That's because: 1) There's enough of an American market for Gundam as a whole; and 2) They can get Gundam on teevee where it gets more exposure.

Ed: I hope you're not offended that I think you sound like Millhouse's dad. Laughing

As for MW's comeback, I'm gonna bet people heard of and/or torrented the movie adaptation, and interest for it went up; 'cus it doesn't sound like a title which would benefit from being scanatalated.

Knight: You sure it's not a dude with a similar name?

zawa: Vertical wouldn't touch Black Jack if there wasn't a market for it.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:

Yeah, but why do that now? I thought Justin was saying that the current, heavily-discounted online market has made things more difficult, so distributors are resorting to tactics like this in order to make money. But why has the online market made it more difficult for distributors? That's what I don't get.

The Aniplex strategy sounds like it would be just as effective even if there weren't heavy price erosion in the DVD market. In fact, the current market actually makes a model like that seem worse because, like you said, consumers are so used to paying below MSRP for things.

The way I understood it, Justin said the discounted online market SPECIFICALLY is bad for the distributors. But why is that the case? From their perspective, how is the situation any different than it was 10 years ago when everything got sold at MSRP? They still make the same amount of money either way. Why is cutting out the middleman suddenly so much more appealing?

The only thing I can think of is that it's a lot easier to set up an internet store nowadays, but that doesn't have much of anything to do with the online price erosion Justin was talking about.

Well, I don't believe what Justin was saying was that the current retail market is killing distribution companies, but more that those companies are seeing an ever dwindling paying fanbase and rather than keep moving along with same-old-same-old, trying a new way to maximize profit in a stagnant buying cycle. Back when anime sales were booming, companies could afford the 50% discount and still make money, but not with how things are now. The president of Aniplex America confirmed that when ANN interviewed him.

I don't know if this has been passed around or not, but this is a pretty fascinating read, and may shed some light on further questions.
merr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Well, I don't believe what Justin was saying was that the current retail market is killing distribution companies

But he did say that. He said that the razor thin margins of online retailers force distributors to sell everything at a 50% discount, which they don't like doing. But before that, he said that even back in the VHS days, that 50% discount was standard. It's just that the mark up on the consumer end was higher. At no point does it sound like distributors were forced to lower their prices in order to compete, despite what Justin says around 15:00.

Aniplex wants to make more money by selling their discs directly to the consumer, but it seems like their reasons for doing so have very little to do with the DVD market being screwed up in the way Justin described it. Honestly, it looks more like they just want to milk their hardcore audience at the expense of losing the casual market.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Loves Zac's enthusiastic interview ... he kinda seemed like he was down. Sad

But been a huge follower of Vertical titles. I love their niches and their choice of manga.

Though I'm pretty sure I'm the only Tezuka fan that didn't like Buddha. And I love studying religion too ...

But Yeah, saw that scan thing they did with Black Jack on some ... website. I tried to hunt them down but it seemed they went incognito so I couldn't report them. But the sad thing is that STILL they do stuff like that. You think if they were going to scanlate something properly they would get their own translators/ editors.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
I was very interested in that whole direct online selling discussion. I'm not sure why, but I never stopped to consider the impact online retailers like Amazon and TRSI were having on retailer anime selling, although in retrospect it seems obvious. Sadly, it's a situation where the rise of online selling is a boon to individual customers due to the price savings, but sort of detrimental to the industry as a whole, I believe.

Personally, I'd prefer to buy my anime in person at a b&m location because of the convenience (as opposed to having to wait for something to come in the mail). However, especially in Canada, that option makes zero economic sense. Hell, TRSI offers significantly better prices on items that are NEW versus what second hand stores here offer for those same items that are USED.

But what we lose is the possibility of new recruits. If you're wandering through a store and happen to stumble across the anime section, you might stop and take a look and maybe even buy. If b&m retail locations are taken out of the equation, you won't get that "walk-in" factor. Or at least, it seems harder to see how that kind of thing can happen from strictly online selling.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:

Ignoring all the other shenanigans that actually happen, like buying on margin, bulk discounting, sales*, returns** and that stuff, it's because the biggest sales were at B&M stores which will no longer stock your product.
Effectively what you have is this:
-B&M stores can't compete with online stores in terms of price because online stores sell based on bulk volume instead of margin.
-Sales in B&M stores die down because the more hardcore people move online to the cheaper prices.
-B&M stores no longer see a reason to carry anime because the margins are going to the same as regular DVDs (none or loss leader). Anime does not bring in the crowds to justify the shelf space.
-For the anime company, sales now plummet because a good majority of the sales were made through B&M.

*If there is a sale or discount, odds are at least part of it is coming out of the wholesaler part and they probably aren't getting 50% SRP.
**See the Geneon podcast

Quote:
At no point does it sound like distributors were forced to lower their prices in order to compete, despite what Justin says around 15:00.

But the distributor has no reason to lower the wholesale price. All that will end up happening is that either a)the retailer will take a larger chunk as margin unless they drop the SRP too or b) you get the exact same price war at a lower price point.

Quote:
Aniplex wants to make more money by selling their discs directly to the consumer, but it seems like their reasons for doing so have very little to do with the DVD market being screwed up in the way Justin described it. Honestly, it looks more like they just want to milk their hardcore audience at the expense of losing the casual market.
Because by using other places like Amazon, TRSI, etc, they don't think they will reach that far into the casual fanbase and thus it doesn't justify the loss in cost on product for any sales they gain. (Because then everyone else will order through the cheaper outlet.) Their logic is that the hardcore will "find" it direct from them if they do enough advertising and PR. This is clearly a case of Japanese logic being applied to the American market where it doesn't work.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...which should be renamed gobbledy-gook...

Amen. A-blipping-men, I hate Tsubasa. And I love xxxHOLiC. Unfortunately, in spite of Del Rey's repeated protestations otherwise, you have to read the one to understand the other, and what's more as a result xxxHOLiC runs into its own bit of gobbledy-gook. My personal theory is that the timeline for Tsubasa caught up with them before they expected, which is why in volume 12 they suddenly break from an ongoing story and then dump a whole lot of "hints" that (as someone who is re-reading it right now) don't make much sense. It's very poorly handled, which is remarkable given how well they handle most other twists.
Wait, he's the son of a Catholic priest??? Illegitimate, I assume?
Any hype for House of Five Leaves is a good thing. Apparently it's ratings bombed in Japan, sadly. Yaichi is one of the best character this season, IMnsHO. Let us know what you think of Tatami Galaxy!
(skips lots of stuff that she doesn't care about)

YES! Bring up Shueisha attack on raws posted online. That's even less about scanlations and more about people in Japan can download things for free that they could easily purchase. If scanlators want to do old or obscure series that have minimal chance of being licensed (think Rose of Versailles or Saint Young Men), then they can BUY the material from Japan and keep the scans in-house.

Meanwhile, I'll confess I've been guilty of reading the most recent chapters of a handful of series (quite a few of which I have dropped because I've outgrown them, see below), but if I really had to stop, I would. There are other series that I don't bother with reading scanlations, and if I know it's going to come out soon, then I can be patient. Other fans can be as well.

Scanlators need to focus on what is unavailable, not on things we're just anxious to read.

And for people who want to preview manga, do you know how much of this is available through libraries? At least in America, I've gotten complete series through checking them out or via interlibrary loans. Verticle especially with their hard cover releases seems to be at a lot of libraries. Look into it. Your taxes pay for it, the books are yours, take advantage of it. Personally, I prefer to read things in book form rather than on my computer screen. I rejoice whenever something I love gets licensed. Let's face it, most of these scans SUCK, especially the ones done by fly-by-night, as-fast-as-possible "teams."

Oh, and people who scan official translations done by companies like Verticle, Viz, or Tokyopop? You are NOT scanlators. You are flat-out pirates. You did no work for yourself. You just leech off other people's work. You aren't showing love for unknown series. You are NOT fans! You should be ashamed.

And we need to make that distinction. Scanlators scan and translate (hence the name), which implies it's not available in English. Just scanning something someone else did? You don't deserve the title, you did no work, you are a blight.
/rant
Well, I've grown in seinen and josei, BIG TIME. Most of what I read falls into these categories, probably 80% or so. The only shounen series I follow is Fullmetal Alchemist, and I guess I read Ouran High School Host Club and a few shoujo series. But most of it is seinen and josei. I'm almost 26, why should I not read things written for my age?
GUIN SAGA! Bring out more of the BOOKS, not just the manga! I finished the first 5 and man...There are 120 more, right? I know it's unfinished due to Kurimoto's death, but still. Just... make them a little more affordable? I had to check them out of the library.
So Mr. Chavez, what is Project-R?
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Ignoring all the other shenanigans that actually happen, like buying on margin, bulk discounting, sales*, returns** and that stuff, it's because the biggest sales were at B&M stores which will no longer stock your product.
Effectively what you have is this:
-B&M stores can't compete with online stores in terms of price because online stores sell based on bulk volume instead of margin.
-Sales in B&M stores die down because the more hardcore people move online to the cheaper prices.
-B&M stores no longer see a reason to carry anime because the margins are going to the same as regular DVDs (none or loss leader). Anime does not bring in the crowds to justify the shelf space.
-For the anime company, sales now plummet because a good majority of the sales were made through B&M.

Another big advantage that online sellers frequently enjoy over B&M stores is the absence of sales tax. The amount will vary depending on where the buyer lives, but in my case that represents an automatic 10% savings on everything I order. So even if the B&M store charges exactly the same amount for a given product I'm still better off buying online - especially when combined with free shipping.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
...oh, and one more related item on my rant, if you rip the DVDs of American releases of anime, you're not a fansubber either. Anyone who has worked in any of the fan translation fields ought to hold the same level of contempt I do for these people. (And yeah, I worked for about a year on a fansubbing team, hopefully the big project I was involved with, Michiko & Hatchin, will get licensed, it was marvelous, and would be my third MANGLOBE purchase. Most of what I'm grateful for with my time fansubbing was making me realize I'd prefer to be doing this professionally.)
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
...oh, and one more related item on my rant, if you rip the DVDs of American releases of anime, you're not a fansubber either. Anyone who has worked in any of the fan translation fields ought to hold the same level of contempt I do for these people. (And yeah, I worked for about a year on a fansubbing team, hopefully the big project I was involved with, Michiko & Hatchin, will get licensed, it was marvelous, and would be my third MANGLOBE purchase. Most of what I'm grateful for with my time fansubbing was making me realize I'd prefer to be doing this professionally.)

I can't believe Sacred Blacksmith was licensed before Michiko to Hatchin...

what the heck Funi? what the heck..

but hey, at least you can make Sacred Blacksmith your third Manglobe title, right? then wait for a House of Five Leaves release and make that your fourth :\
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7