• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva Virtual/Real-Life Makeover of Neighborhood Halted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
Anyway, this sort of thing is not likely to happen in the US due to the lawsuits that would happen if someone used a real location in an animated film. This is why movies have that disclaimer about not being based on real people, places, or events. It's less hassle to just make up something.

People are covered by the "All persons are fictitious" disclaim yes, but I don't think places are.

Also plenty of places in US animated films have used real places, take the Princess and the Frog. Set in New Orleans, I believe the production crew were even sent there on a trip to make sure they got the setting right.

I can think of plenty of others of the top of my head, Oliver & Company - New York City; The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Aristocats, Gay Purree - Paris; Basil the Great Mouse Detective, Peter Pan, and 101 Dalmatians - London; Lilo and Stitch - Hawaii, more specifically the island of Kaua'i, Rover Dangerfield - Las Vegas in the beginning (I think, anyway).

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I see in my crystal ball a lock in this thread's future Laughing

But getting back on topic -- what did Lawson expect would happen? An event of half the popularity of Eva would have caused traffic congestion in a small area such as Hakone. I think it was mostly bad planning and a little irresponsibility on the part of the visitors that caused this problem. So, I guess I'm just stating the obvious here Confused

It makes me wonder just how that screening is going to turn out... if parking for a little iPone app caused this much of a ruckus, just think of the commotion an advanced screening is going to create.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
PMDR wrote:
Anyway, this sort of thing is not likely to happen in the US due to the lawsuits that would happen if someone used a real location in an animated film. This is why movies have that disclaimer about not being based on real people, places, or events. It's less hassle to just make up something.

People are covered by the "All persons are fictitious" disclaim yes, but I don't think places are.

Also plenty of places in US animated films have used real places, take the Princess and the Frog. Set in New Orleans, I believe the production crew were even sent there on a trip to make sure they got the setting right.

I can think of plenty of others of the top of my head, Oliver & Company - New York City; The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Aristocats, Gay Purree - Paris; Basil the Great Mouse Detective, Peter Pan, and 101 Dalmatians - London; Lilo and Stitch - Hawaii, more specifically the island of Kaua'i, Rover Dangerfield - Las Vegas in the beginning (I think, anyway).

I forgot that had come out, I honestly don't follow disney films that intently but I'm still interested in seeing it...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This is not an "otaku" problem, not even an American or Japanese problem.

This is a people problem. Any event that is going to draw a rapid
influx of people are going to cause problems in the community.
Parking, people congestion, trespassing, and many other problems
are all associated these type of events. Teenage idols in the U.S.
visiting local community malls, high profile authors doing book
signings, July 4th fireworks, and, the every present during the
summer, beach access.

So this is not a "dirty otaku" issue. But rather a Lawson problem in
not preparing the community for the large draw of people. They
should have just done this nationwide, like 7-11 does here for
their nationwide promotions.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
This is not an "otaku" problem, not even an American or Japanese problem.

This is a people problem. Any event that is going to draw a rapid
influx of people are going to cause problems in the community.
Parking, people congestion, trespassing, and many other problems
are all associated these type of events. Teenage idols in the U.S.
visiting local community malls, high profile authors doing book
signings, July 4th fireworks, and, the every present during the
summer, beach access.

So this is not a "dirty otaku" issue. But rather a Lawson problem in
not preparing the community for the large draw of people. They
should have just done this nationwide, like 7-11 does here for
their nationwide promotions.

It's nice to know there are people smarter than me that can properly explain in an articulate manner what I mean to say. Very Happy
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Awesome idea. I probably would have been one of those gawkers that got it shut down. I love Eva to death. Sucks I dont live anywhere near Hakone, or Japan for that matter ;p

Yeah this thread is turning to sh*t. I'm just gonna sit back and watch these goombas rage on each other Very Happy
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Hardcore otakuness at it's finest.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Those old japanese people are too soft, wanna send a message to those Otaku? Start slashing tires, keying cars and bashing in windows.

Never mess with someone's ride. That is a cardinal sin.

Instead, give all the local wrecker services a ton of business by having the offending vehicles towed. Now there's a nice boost for the local economy. Cool
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Alright, this is getting out of hand. So apparently someone came in and took a bunch of quotes and listed them out and proceeded to reply to them out of context to imply that people were being bigots, racists, or xenophobes; among other things. This user has already been warned now (3 times), so let's drop it. Any further attempts by the poster to troll will be removed, as well as anyone encouraging them or continuing to try to engage them in such a ridiculous debate.

Let's get this back on topic or let it die, but the venomous exchange result from that users initial troll post is done as of now. The posts involved in the exchange have been removed. Let's keep this civil, there's no reason such a benign topic should be requiring moderator intervention like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Those poor people...It's so annoying to have people park in your yard. Never mind in hoards. You'd think they'd have the common decency to at least ask, or just find another way to the resort.

v1cious wrote:

remember when this happened with Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and it caused a nationwide panic?

I thought that was promotion for the movie and caused a bomb scare in cities 'cause these random rectangular things with a strange being on them started popping up all over?

Unless something else happened...Though I don't remember it being nationwide. I didn't even hear about it until I stumbled upon it on Wikipedia.

Yeah, I'm sorta wondering about the connection myself Confused , seeing as the point seems to be the opposite:

The Aqua Teen problem was pasting inscrutable corporate logos of an unpublicized, underground, and otherwise intentionally obscure "viral campaign" for a show no one over college ever saw, by planting mechanical devices of unknown function in unauthorized locations, thus breaking local terrorism laws--in the very city whose guilt for not preventing 9/11 now causes them to go medieval on any breaking of Homeland Security), and it wouldn't have helped if authorities even HAD known what the heck the deal was about...
While the problem here seems to be with authorized pasting of references to a show everyone in the vicinity DOES know about, and local authorities who do and would rather not have it around.
hesperus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
...apparently someone came in and took a bunch of quotes and listed them out and proceeded to reply to them out of context to imply that people were being bigots, racists, or xenophobes; among other things....

For the record; yes you are biggots, racists and xenophobes. The white trash in your forums was saying something in the lines that it is OK to fat american teenagers to like anime, but it's a sin for actual Japanese people to enjoy the product they make Rolling Eyes

No wonder why most of the good reviwers and anime scholars don't want to be related in any way to 'ann' Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2