• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Dirty Pair: Project Eden

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
What I'm going to miss the most about Buried Treasue are all the great quotes:
"If this is justice, then I'm a banana."
"Gotcha ba goose!"
...and my personal favorite:
"You're so easygoing."

By the way, I'm still holding out for your M.D. Giest AMV.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the well-wishes. ANN is my full-time job, so it's not like I'm going anywhere.

That said, as much fun as I had with BT it was really a struggle to write in the last year or so. I was driving poor Zac nuts by constantly missing my deadlines and asking for unscheduled weeks off. While I consider myself a decent writer, I've learned that I'm not one that can spit out quality with any decent regularity. If I'm not filled with passion, the result is mediocre. I can't tell you how many times I've rewatched and prepared to write about some show, only to realize 3 paragraphs in and 5 hours before deadline that I have absolutely nothing to say about it.

So, best to step away until I find some more stuff to be passionate about. It will happen again at some point... Smile
astro98

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Sad to hear this won't be a regular column anymore, it was great while it lasted.
The new manga column sounds fantastic, though.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
Buried Treasure/Garbage is one of my favorite columns. Sad to see it get pushed back, but it's probably for the best. Looking forward to the next one whenever you get around to it!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
their style is so laughably dated that most would have trouble taking them seriously.

Feh, if they can bring back A-Team, then Dirty Pair is fine.

Quote:
that they practically can reach each other's minds.

According to the books, they can literally do that, too. Wink

Quote:
In re-releasing the parts previously put out on VHS by Streamline Pictures, ADV insisted on redubbing them,

D'oh! I didn't know that. I just recentlyb salvaged those DVDs, too... What the hell is with companies axing those Macek dubs, anyway? They're the reason we bought those properties in the first place. Anyway, Justin I just glad you're able to keep the column going at all. Thanks for the (old and new) memories.

BTW, the hardest Dirty Pair-related anime on dvd to find now would probably be Crusher Joe, as it features their first appearance.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
Agreed on the Project Eden opening. Fantastic stuff, humans are capable of that and more without computers! Shock and awe.

Still, have to say that Flight 005 Conspiracy is probably the better movie out of all the Dirty Pair flicks.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
I'm glad you haven't decided to give up on Buried Treasure Justin. I've been visiting ANN since the beginning and I can honestly say that it's my favorite column on ANN.
Anonymooo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the excellent column, I look forward to reading more whenever you have the time and material. Even on the sad, off-chance Buried Treasure doesn't make a return appearance anytime soon, this is one hell of a way to wrap it up.

I honestly got more of a kick watching some of the Buried Garbage titles, but plenty of the Buried Treasures (like this one) really are a lot of mindless fun, and sometimes that's all you need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
I very recently finally watched the Dirty Pair DVDs I had bought ages ago (as well as watching a fansub of the TV series...never thought that'd suddenly get licensed!), and I think Project Eden was actually my least favorite. Carson D. Carson was a source of unending annoyance for me. He stole too much of the spotlight (what's this jerk hogging the screentime in my Dirty Pair movie?) repeatedly made the girls look stupid, and they actually seemed to be impressed by this (Kei going gaga for him after he punched her in the face and called her childish was particularly bad). I know Dirty Pair has always been sexist eye candy, but at least the other stuff was sexist eye candy where the girls got to be badass. In a somewhat disingenous sense it was feminist in the sense that the girls were powerful and uncowed by men. Not in this one.

And It really does stink of the '80's, doesn't it? Luckily I found that quite charming.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the Dirty Pair movie get some love. I still only have the Streamline tape, which i got signed by Mecek back at AOD, since it is my favorite Streamline dub, despite the inaccuracies, and an old fansub. Still haven't seen the ADV dub. An interesting note about it is that though the film is 1.85:1 as intended aspect, like a lot of animation, it was made in 1.66:1, and that's what Streamline cut it from. So you're only loosing about 10% of the side image, yet gaining as much on the top and bottom. Same with Silent Mobius, I believe.

It's a really fun movie, and I still watch it from time to time. It's great that Right Stuf's bringing the series out at last. I always kept asking when ADV was going to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
Sad to hear it's ending, though I can understand the lack of material being a part, and Jason's columns should be awesome [having seen pics of his manga-ridden abode, the column title is quite literal people, possibly an understatement]

The Dirty Pair movies were quite fun- I have the Streamline tapes, and the dubs were indeed good,and reflective of the time they were made which suits 80's-ness of the show.

Hope you get around to the Lady Oscar review- I have the french/japanese R1 boxsets Imavision put out here in Canada, and it's an insanely awesome show
krpalmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
The ADV version of Project Eden was the first Dirty Pair DVD I bought, although I'd seen a friend's showing of Affair of Nolandia a while before... but while this may be a very peculiar thing for someone interested in the series to say, something about "everybody on the planet the Lovely Angels were sent to gets killed in the last moments of the story through a contrived accident, but this isn't their fault!" never quite appealed to me, and those two stories combined with certain fan statements to leave me convinced things were always that way. Having since learned things aren't always that extreme, I managed to get my hands on the rest of ADV's releases and I'm now very much looking forward to the Nozomi/Right Stuf release of the TV series itself.

Let me add another appreciative comment for "Buried Treasure"; it was a positive, entertaining look at "classic anime." One thing I'm now thinking, perhaps also odd, was that it was an interesting blend of "conventional wisdom" and "fresh perspectives"; as examples of that, I can point to the columns on Macross DYRL and Southern Cross.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
You won't believe how sad it is to see this wonderful view gone - well ... for a while.

I love your views and your opinions and they are incredibly spot on.

Thanks to you I hunted down and watched the classic Night on the Galactic Railroad - It is now my favourite movie which I show again and again to all my friends.

I watched Arcade Gamer ... well ... half of it because I was too stupid to listen to you.

I watched MD Geist because once again I was too stupid to listen to you.

I watched Star of Cottonland because I had destroyed my brain by not listening to you and decided to try the other tactic.

I hope you continue to watch and review and give us your opinion. Because I have learned the hard way that what you say is generally right.

I have always looked out for this, and will do in the future. Continue being completely and utterly awesome!

Oh ... can I suggest future anime titles? Just in case you want to destroy/ enjoy some older anime.
1) California Crisis - Very artistic and good music. Short OVA though.
2) Queen Millennia - I don't know. More Leiji?
3) The Curse of Kazuo Umezu - Horrid. Just cringe as the animation kills you
4) Lensman movie
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Anyone who likes Dirt Pair should check out the BADASS American adaptation by Adam Warren. It has some of the most hands-down awesome, over the top action scenes I've ever read.

A lot of Dirty Pair fans don't like Warren's adaptations. They feel that the character personalities are changed too much. I have to agree that they are quite different, especially Yuri. But personally, I also love Adam Warren's Dirty Pair.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy this column, but man am I glad you are making it irregular as opposed to just throwing in some random garbage and writing a quick few paragraphs on it just to keep it a regular thing like some places do.

Yeah it may only be 3 times a year now, but at least the quality will stay the same. Looking forward to reading what you got planned for the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5