• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How has Sailor Moon held up for you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
I recently tried watching the subtitled Japanese version of Sailor Moon I only made it to episode six because the first three or four episodes are basically Usagi getting saved by Tuxedo Mask which I thought was kind of sexist. Then after that it was just a bunch of filler monster of the week episodes and they didn't even introduce Ami until episode nine. I wasn't going to sit through a bunch of filler episodes just to get some character development. So I remember liking it in the past. But I don't think it's held up as well as I remember but the Japanese subtitled version is still miles ahead of that awful English dub that's just unwatchable for me
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the first season especially is victim of a LOT of filler. When my friend and I were watching the Japanese version for the first time, we eventually ended up looking up which episodes were skipped entirely in the original English broadcast and decided not to watch them ourselves, since the reason they were not shown was that they did nothing to advance the overall plot of the season.

I actually would like to mention that if you want to watch a Sailor Moon adaptation that actually has good pacing (the anime goes much too slow) then the live action is really good. It branches off to tell its own story too so there are new twists and turns along the way.

Also, because the Sailor Senshi wear wigs when transformed, their costumes make it a bit less obvious who they really are (particularly Ami, who looks quite different with a short, blue wig and no glasses).
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
I tried watching PGSM, but I couldn't even make it halfway through the first episode. It was way too hokey for me. It was like a bunch of cosplayers acting out a fan interpretation of SM.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
That's because it's exactly what it is, really. But I think the fact that the show usually doesn't take itself too seriously is what saves it from disaster. All things considered, it is actually my favourite version of the story (or would be, if the Outers were in it).
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Besides that, I'm still all giggly over "Sailor Uranus".

Hey, just a thought: if they re-release it, think Sailor Pluto will be Photoshopped out?

Well, fortunately in Japanese they pronounce it "oo-ran-us", which is apparently the latin (and best sounding) approach.

And why would Pluto be needed to be cut out? 0_o

I'm pretty sure the dub had the same pronunciation for Uranus as well like the Japanese. Not sure if the other way would fly when used constantly on daytime TV.

As for Pluto, its officially not a planet anymore, so its a joke. Razz
Just like other things being discovered over time, won't make sense anymore. Like no more Brontosaurus, its real discovered name is Apatosaurus. All jokes related to Brontosaurus are obsolete! Land Before Time stuff won't make sense to new kiddos!
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Besides that, I'm still all giggly over "Sailor Uranus".

Hey, just a thought: if they re-release it, think Sailor Pluto will be Photoshopped out?

Well, fortunately in Japanese they pronounce it "oo-ran-us", which is apparently the latin (and best sounding) approach.

And why would Pluto be needed to be cut out? 0_o

I'm pretty sure the dub had the same pronunciation for Uranus as well like the Japanese. Not sure if the other way would fly when used constantly on daytime TV.

As for Pluto, its officially not a planet anymore, so its a joke. Razz
Just like other things being discovered over time, won't make sense anymore. Like no more Brontosaurus, its real discovered name is Apatosaurus. All jokes related to Brontosaurus are obsolete! Land Before Time stuff won't make sense to new kiddos!

Well the Amazones Quartet, which are based off of asteroids, and Phobos and Deimos (Rei's Crows) which were based off Moons surrounding Mars were made into Sailor Soldiers in the Manga, so... but I get the joke. I didn't last night though. Must've been too tired.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
I watched it a little when I was younger, but I can't finish it for the life of me now. I guess the nostalgia just isn't there for me enough, because when I try and watch it, it just seems like a generic bad-guy-of-the-week type show. Maybe similar ones I've seen since then have ruined it for me. Either way, I can't get through the first season.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
Well, I haven't seen sailor moon in ages, but I rember it fondly (even if the Dic dub was just downright horrible.) I personally would love to see Funimation pick it up & release an uncut version of the series here in the U.S..

But back to the overall topic, I think the show has held up decently well, but then again, I think that about most older shows, so it may just be the nostalgia talking. Laughing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
I can remember my first episode. I had to have been either 7 or 8, and was visiting family for Christmas in North Florida. I was looking for something to watch on tv and came across an interesting cartoon with a pink-ish color scheme, and it was a story about a girl on vacation with her family to a spring, and suddenly there's an big evil monster of a former girl who wasn't loved, and the main girl is transforming into a super hero. (Watersprite ep from the first season)

It was the coolest cartoon to me at the time outside of She-Ra, which was sadly no longer aired (though I watched it plenty via VHS). I couldn't get the show down in the Keys where I was living, but when I moved to North Florida around middle school I rediscovered it, found out the show was called Sailor Moon, and was hooked ever since.

I don’t think of Sailor Moon as the best anime ever, but for what it was, it was one of the best. It was a show, targeting young girls, featuring a wide variety of a cast of different types of girls, protecting the world on their own via their smarts, skills, and super powers, and all without the help of guys for the most part.

I think it was a very formative title for girls desperate for a show of their own that wasn’t cutsey animals just talking and going through a day. It provided great positive role models, and little girls can never get enough of that.

The animation, sadly, is looking its age with the repetitive animation, and the poor masters we had. However, I still watch it every now and then, the Dic dub especially for sentimental reasons of the first couple seasons, but I find sub to have the best story. I’d love to see it be redone for a newer generation, and perhaps in a way that cuts down on the filler and follows the comic more accurately.

If it weren’t for me “rediscovering” sailor moon for a 3rd time in a comic shop in manga form in middle school, meaning it was my first comic book outside of Archie I was aware of that targeted girls, I might never have decided to pursue a career in illustration.

I also watched PGSM when it came out 5 years agao, and loved ever campy, corny minute of it.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
Never seen a single episode. Is there some reason I should?

There is a nearly endless file of really good animes arriving every year -- why go for the lowest common denominator unless there is nothing else?
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

There is a nearly endless file of really good animes arriving every year -- why go for the lowest common denominator unless there is nothing else?

If you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. This isn't a thread encouraging anyone to do so.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
On the other hand SM become so popular that nearly every anime comedy have a gags referring to it.

Sailor Moon is a very good anime for girls in primary school. IMHO older fans can find it interesting only when
-They are magical girls otaku
-They are interested in anime history
-They have seen it before.
I'm the last one- back in primary school I was a member of those lucky minority with tolerant parents who could watch this "Chinese cartoon" with their permission. I don't remember if I enjoyed it that much, but in that time everyone who could was watching it, so was I. I was even dressed as Sailor Moon during school party (my first and last cosplay:P) The main part of the costume were my best skirt and plastic chrismas three ball ornaments. I remember that mother of mz classmate was really annoyed about it and she came to my parents to ask them how I could watch this "erotic cartoon". I remember it clearly- sitting in the front of TV, watching the last episode with naked Usagi and wondering what that "erotic" means.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Because, um....maybe, in the actual experience of watching it, it might be pretty GOOD? Smile

As in, the Junichi Sato who gave us Sgt. Keroro, Duck/Tutu, Sora of Kaleido Stage and the Magic User's Club helped bring us the original iconic "Cute and unbelievably optimistic uncoordinated heroine" who set the tone for others to follow--
Every time you want to pass this show off as a kiddy-formula "Power Rangers for girls" we gaijin folk did in the 90's, the show pulls out the charm of showing us that our heroines may not always be the brightest or most talented (especially compared to the obnoxiously "perfect" but uncompromising Uranus & Neptune in the S series), but--as Usagi always puts first--they do stay friends.

Sato specializes in comfort-food with a fantasy twist, and by the time the plot ramps up during the S canon, it becomes the right secret-formula mix of ingredients that other shows couldn't duplicate with just one ingredient....THAT'S why. Razz

(If you already know the characters from cultural saturation, but don't want to "subject yourself" to watching an entire season of episodes just to prove something, just try renting the R Movie, "Promise of the Rose"--
That one's the most succinct distillation of everything the first two seasons set up, and the climax of the movie explains the unexplainable appeal of the characters better than any of our mere words could persuade.)
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
As in, the Junichi Sato who gave us Sgt. Keroro, Duck/Tutu, Sora of Kaleido Stage and the Magic User's Club helped bring us the original iconic "Cute and unbelievably optimistic uncoordinated heroine" who set the tone for others to follow--

If we're getting into Sailor Moon staff, I take your Junichi Sato and raise it with Kunihiko Ikuhara, main director of the Sailor Moon R, the Sailor Moon R movie (and some of the first, third, and fourth season), who later went on to create the iconic Revolutionary Girl Utena.

The Sailor Moon staff is full of anime gems.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
EricJ wrote:

If we're getting into Sailor Moon staff, I take your Junichi Sato and raise it with Kunihiko Ikuhara, main director of the Sailor Moon R, the Sailor Moon R movie (and some of the first, third, and fourth season), who later went on to create the iconic Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Well, yeah, can't leave out Kunihiko--
He was the one who "stylized" most of the animation (and some of that "overfluid" animation we saw in SuperS and Stars) and made the MOTW's a little wilder....

Was just pointing out that Usagi Tsukino has been the template for a LOT of great memorable genki-stumblers in anime, and most of them have a similar track record in common. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6