• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Continue to Distribute Sola

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, someone should have pointed BV and Sentai to Google.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Meh, who cares. I love ya to death Sentai, but even if ya did end up releasing it, I already own it. Good taste in licenses though.
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
And so ends the "love triangle" between sola, Bandai and Sentai. Funny, the biggest winner in all this is sola, which probably moved to the forefront in the minds of a lot of people (mine included). Not really sure how someone could have missed this "clerical error" but oh well.

I was hoping for an appearance by the evil twin brother in this soap opera, but guess I'll accept checking out sola in the near future instead.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
To me this sounds like somebody on the other side of the fence blew it and tried to re-license something. I could see that happening with a massive Japanese company with tons of turnover far more easily than I could see the SF/Bandai side of things getting botched.

"No, it's cool, we totally have the rights to sell you!"
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Man, I would so fire the guy that made a mistake like that. Even something as simple as a search on Amazon could have cleared something like that up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
This does not exactly fill me with confidence in the anime industry.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
To me this sounds like somebody on the other side of the fence blew it and tried to re-license something. I could see that happening with a massive Japanese company with tons of turnover far more easily than I could see the SF/Bandai side of things getting botched.

Yeah, they didn't say which company the clerk worked for.

Easy for the clerk to be whichever company got the international rights management for the sola production committee, supposed to enter in a database that the license shifted from one Bandai to the other, and entering that it was unlicensed by mistake.

Sentai enquires, they use their database to generate a list of titles on offer, and a special price if they are taken as a package deal, and the rest is history.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
You guys should check out Bandai's Twitter and store. "$23 for 23 hours" Ouch...
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
On behalf of all involved I'd like to say...

DURP!.

*cough* ... we now return you to your regularly scheduled licensing madness~~~ Anime smile~
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Yeah, they didn't say which company the clerk worked for.

Easy for the clerk to be whichever company got the international rights management for the sola production committee, supposed to enter in a database that the license shifted from one Bandai to the other, and entering that it was unlicensed by mistake.

Sentai enquires, they use their database to generate a list of titles on offer, and a special price if they are taken as a package deal, and the rest is history.

Exactly that's what I feel is what happened. It seems like we've heard nothing from across the pond and I bet nobody wants to alienate that side of it either way...

CONSPIRACY THEORY!
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:
You guys should check out Bandai's Twitter and store. "$23 for 23 hours" Ouch...

Why not. Price seems right, plus free shipping. Never used the Bandai store before, but their information on their product leaves a lot to be desired.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Bandai won that arguement.

NJ_ wrote:
Even if BEI didn't have Sola anymore, nobody was gonna buy the higher-priced re-release.

And so, the story that will forever dwell in the deep recesses of the internet will be whether Bandai simply asserted first-come-first-serve or "won" by deciding the fans still wanted the series more than Sentai wanted to pay them for it.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
There is a Shonen-World version of the incident, where the young lawyer for Bandai Ent after struggling with his inner demons at the very last minute finds the combination of contract term and legal precedent to AHA! blast the Sentai lawyer out of the water. And then in an expression of the depth of his truly generous heart, he allows the Sentai lawyer to pretend that it was a clerical error rather than inadequate legal mojo.

And a Shoujo-World version of the incident, in which our heroine is the clerk, young and enthusiastic who thinks the best about people, who has been wickedly set up by the black haired back stabber who tricked her into entering the wrong code. She couldn't bear that she was going to cause shame to her company and defeat to the dashing young Bandai rep, but in the last minute the black haired back stabber confesses her indiscretion and the wise older manager of the department finds a way to smooth things over, while everyone agrees that a valuable lesson has been learned.

And of course in the 3AM-world version, the plot is a bit sketchier but the process of smoothing things over is quite a bit steamier.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Exactly that's what I feel is what happened. It seems like we've heard nothing from across the pond and I bet nobody wants to alienate that side of it either way...

CONSPIRACY THEORY!

You're probably right. This was likely a mistake at Bandai Visual, or one of the other companies on the production committee, but neither BEI or Sentai will ever say that publicly. It caused them both some embarrassment, but that's better than causing problems with their licensing partners.
karvelot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for clarifying this. I thought Bandai Entertainment lost the U.S.license for Sola to Sentai Filmworks. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3