• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Force Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
I don't see how xbox's kinnect is going to succeed. The Kinnect only works if you already have an Xbox 360 and is supposedly going to be $150 by itself. A Wii is just $199 and already has motion sensing out of the box. Unless the casual gamer(who probaly doesn't care about exclusives) already has an xbox why would he choose the more expensive hardware

Uh, excuse me, you don't understand.

With the Kinect you can pet a kitty and play table tennis.

These are game changers. The revolution is now.

Yeah, but I highly, questionably, doubt it will let you punt said kitty. See, that's where they getcha.

At least with tennis, you can beat your friend with the controller when either cheats.

Am I the only one that highly suspects they'll eventually make a sex game with this technology soon?
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
The real question we should all be asking is: If your baby tiger poops, can you stick it's nose in it? Will it recognize a rolled up newspaper? Can you reenact your favorite online game; Kitten Cannon?
Sarukah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just KNOW I've seen this artist somewhere before. Someone help me out.

That picture/artist looks horribly familiar to me too. The main thing that comes to mind right now is that it looks a lot like CHOCO/Chocolate Shop from Xenosaga. A lot like it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Multiplayer Castlevania? For the love of all that is holy, Konami, do not screw this up!

Also, the Strider-like game interests me.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Kirby Epic Yarn is so innovative and refreshingly original. It's also so gosh darn cute! This is also the second time in Kirby's career he doesn't use his copy power (his first game on GB being the first time of course).

That artwork for Necromachina does look surprisingly like Xenosaga III's character design if I'm not mistaken (I own the artbook).

Hexyz Force: Mary Elizabeth McGlynn makes a great Irene. Her comments in battle are awesome. "Stand aside fodder!" and "This will be your final lesson!" are among my favorite things she utters. The beastman races are also pretty cool, though I have to admit Griek is kind of jerk and an idiot at times. Though I am a grateful for having a cool beastman in the party (which I expect a JRPG to include in the playable cast), he can be grating at times during conversations. It's a wonder Levant and Irene put up with him really.

Let me just say I'm greatly enjoying this game so far. After a myriad of flat JRPGs (including FFXIII), I have to say this one does so many things right for me that other RPGs failed miserably at. The story is also pretty interesting, and I have yet to play Cece's half.

Example: the fusion system. Now, many games have a synthesis system of some kind. One game that had a lousy crafting system was Blade Dancer. There was always the danger of it messing up and you losing your materials. Not to mention, they literally try to choke the system down your throat to make new equipment because stores charge too much for even one or two weapon upgrades. Hexyz Force's fusion system has no chance of failing and in many cases costs between 0 to little FP to make some items. Materials are easy to obtain as monsters tend to be generous with their item drops. Another example is no shops. Since your party makes everything on their own via fusion, stores are just decorations in a town. It doesn't detract from the experience one bit. Not like Xenosaga 2 did with its no shops policy. Then again, Blade Dancer and Xenosaga 2 were terrible games to begin with, so perhaps I am comparing a sow's ear to a silk purse.

So far, I'm very deep into Levant's story, and it's gotten pretty dark and somewhat creepy I have to say. I can't put this game down!
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
E3 was quite a show. Nintendo made an epic comeback, and the 3DS looked great for all of an hour until you realise every single game coming out for it(With a handful of exceptions) is a port from somewhere else, and the graphics from game to game seem wildly inconsistent to boot(Metal Gear looks great for example, but Ridge Racer is pretty much DS level). I'll need more convincing with that one. Loving the looks of Epic Mickey and Zelda though.

Sony put on a surprisingly good show, and did the impossible by making the Move look good. It's still just a Wii rip off, yeah, but that didn't stop the games looking fairly decent already(Especially considering the low retail price they're all going to have). Killzone 3, Infamous 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse and LittleBigPlanet 2 all looked seriously impressive as well, and having anti-PS3 champion Gabe Newell from Valve appear to change his tune and extol the PS3's virtues made for a pretty hilarious sight. Funnier than anything Kevin Butler managed. Sad to see the PSP really does seem on the outs though, despite one or two nice games shown(And a crap new advertising campaign of course, groan)

Microsoft though seriously ****ed things up HARD. Started good with some nice Metal Gear, Gears 3 and Halo Reach demos, then followed over an hour of true horror as "Kinect" failed to display any of the deep functionality promised last year, every game shown was shovelware garbage of the worst kind except Child of Eden(But that's also coming out on the PS3 anyways) and they seemed to realise this with how hard they were pushing Kinect's non-gaming applications, even though it clearly looked far less convenient than a simple remote control. Basically they killed all momentum they had stone dead. I've never seen anything like it. Add to this the hideous 360 redesign, the LIE that is Joyride, a game they promised would be free last year is now a full retail title? and the blatant bribery of attending journalists was pretty shameless.

Pretty dramatic turnaround from previous years alright.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Just a couple updates, Todd:

1) Ocarina of Time 3D is no longer a rumor, as Nintendo has confirmed it via Twitter and at a developers' roundtable.

2) Metal Gear Solid 3D is looking to be a remake, not just a port. Screenshots on the official website show new character models and game mechanics that were not in the original game, with hints of new scenes and weapons as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The artist you swore you've seen before, Todd, is Roberto Ferrari. IRC, he worked on character designs for Last Remnant too.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Ta-kun The Black Kitty wrote:
I see no Golden Sun: Dark Dawn news here. Anime cry
This.

And yes, the new Kirby game made my giddy.

belvadeer wrote:
Kirby Epic Yarn is so innovative and refreshingly original. It's also so gosh darn cute! This is also the second time in Kirby's career he doesn't use his copy power (his first game on GB being the first time of course).
You forgot Canvas Curse. One of the best titles on the DS.

Letthemeatraep wrote:
E3 was quite a show. Nintendo made an epic comeback, and the 3DS looked great for all of an hour until you realise every single game coming out for it(With a handful of exceptions) is a port from somewhere else, and the graphics from game to game seem wildly inconsistent to boot(Metal Gear looks great for example, but Ridge Racer is pretty much DS level)
I'd hate to turn this into a graphics argument, but, have you even played Ridge Racer for DS? I think 3DS looks PSP levels at worst, to between-Wii-and-XB360/PS3 at best (low geometry but plenty of nifty effects. See the Resident Evil Revelations pics which have been confirmed to be real-time demos). But regardless, the amount of 3rd party support is rather unparalleled, or at least compared to what I initially thought it would be.
Epona the Horsey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
After seeing Nintendo's E3 conference, my wallet weeps for all of the future purchases I will be making, haha. I'm super-excited for Skyward Sword. I loved the style of Wind Waker, so I'm really happy to see them go with cel shading. It looks like SS plays great as well. I only wish I could have gotten my hands on a demo myself. Oh well. Kirby's Epic Yarn looks like it will be a lot of fun as well, I'm really liking the art style, especially the way the yarn works into the gameplay.

The 3DS is a day one purchase for me. I was skeptical before E3, but now I'm totally excited. Even if there are lot of remakes in the lineup, I'm stoked. Star Fox, Ocarina of Time, MGS, RE, Animal Crossing, and Kid Icarus are must-buys for me. I can't wait to hear a release date and tentative price.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
I somehow missed the Patapon 3 announcement through the whole 3DS, Skyward Sword, and that hilarious thing Microsoft is doing with the world's worst DVD player controls (yeah, I can't see how watch a DVD with friends over could possible confuse Kinect to no end). Anyway, I just hope they release Patapon 3 one on a UMD, I think Sony secretly hates the PSP and all its owners, why else would those jerks never release Patapon 2 on UMD and why have they kinda been ignoring it since around the time God of War came out?

But OMFG, the 3DS's potential line up of launch titles might very well be the best line up of launch titles to ever grace a system! And Wii launched with Twilight Princess! But 3DS will still get an Ocarina remake, supposedly with a redone water temple (thank god), so it's gonna be fun times all around, even if I don't use the 3D effects the games still look good! And I hope this Paper Mario is more like the N64 and GC ones, not the Wii one. I think it's official, Nintendo, I might never buy another console again as long as I live (unless that is the only way to play the next Zelda game), I've pretty much switched entirely over to handhelds as is and this is just another stake in the console coffin for me.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:15 am Reply with quote
Wow.

Microsoft is releasing a new model of the 360. Not just a larger harddrive, or a different color. They're actually changing the design. And I just read an interview from them, from this year, stating that they had no need to release a new model. Some content on website, NSFW.
This just makes me laugh. And Natal has never interested me, so... guess I'll just wait for Gears of War 3 and Mass Effect 3.

As for Nintendo, I no longer have any of their newer products in my possession, as I got tired of buying games that looked promising, only to be met by shovelware or mediocre titles. So I decided to stop wasting my money and focus on my HD consoles. If Nintendo ever releases one of those, then I might pay attention.

And then Sony... I'll admit, I don't really pay attention to E3 normally. But I hang out in places where almost everyone else does, so I've been hearing about a lot of what's been shown this year. Infamous 2 snagged my attention, as I loved the first game and have been dying for a sequel. Any of this new technology crap that all three companies are trying to roll out, well... I'll wait until they're released and see what kind of software goes along with them after launch. I waited til a year after both the 360 and PS3 came out before I picked them up. New peripherals can wait at least that long.
Raneth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
I am incredibly excited for Kid Icarus. I've always wanted a game that allowed for flight, even in limited form (I loved Tails in the Sonic games for just that reason).

If Pit speaks like he did in Captain N I don't know if I would cry or die laughing. He sounded like he had a stroke-acus. Thanks for refreshing my memory of that show.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Haven't played Icarus since NES. Where could we get titsquirrels plushies? Laughing
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
As for Nintendo, I no longer have any of their newer products in my possession, as I got tired of buying games that looked promising, only to be met by shovelware or mediocre titles. So I decided to stop wasting my money and focus on my HD consoles. If Nintendo ever releases one of those, then I might pay attention.
They announce a slew of excellent titles for their exsisting platforms and not to mention excellent 3rd party support for the 3DS the moment it was announced, and you're ignoring them on the premise of HD.
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: The Naked Sample (yes, that's the PS2 game),

Man, it's like Nintendo didn't learn anything from Twin Snakes. Laughing
It was Kojima's team who made the demos, not Nintendo or Silicon Knights. I think they've learned their lesson quite well this E3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3