• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Nekomancer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevek504

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
...shelf since a couple people here seemed to be wondering about it...

I wonder about it as well. I think I would like it, but I purchased a Tokyopop manga online a while back and they had used a poor quality of paper stock in its manufacture. It has put me off trying them again (though I did make the purchase below). Does anyone know if they used good paper for this series?

I hope they have improved, the 8th volume of Yubisaki Milk Tea looked okay...
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:
...shelf since a couple people here seemed to be wondering about it...

I wonder about it as well. I think I would like it, but I purchased a Tokyopop manga online a while back and they had used a poor quality of paper stock in its manufacture. It has put me off trying them again (though I did make the purchase below). Does anyone know if they used good paper for this series?

since it is Tokyopop, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was in mega-chain stores like Borders or Barnes if you wanted to easily check paper quality next time you hit a shop.

but i'm not sure i'd be a stickler if i were purchasing this -- i mean, this is a Garfield-level strip. (i still remember when Garfield was coming out regularly in newpapers, was still funny, and being collected into little light-weight books. yes, i'm terribly old.) the appeal for me is that its set in Japan and has the food tie-in, and the cat ... i mean, he is a fun character. he's oblivious, he's egotistical, and yet he's really trying in his totally inept way to be a success. as a web comic it's worth checking out.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
[quote="stevek504"]
gartholamundi wrote:
Does anyone know if they used good paper for this series?

TP has corrected their paper issue. I've been keeping up on several TP titles and the paper problem seems to be fixed for the most part. (In the sense that the paper can't double as tracing paper.)
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:

Yes, a Tokyopop rep actually listened to us (we complained on amazon, and he popped in over there to comment and listen), and they switched to a third paper supplier soon afterward. The poor quality paper lasted maybe 2-3 months, and now everything has been fine for a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2