• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Det. Conan Anime Cited in Korean Teen Killing's Aftermath

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Edit: *just saw Britsh artical* Wooooow. Investigative, unbiased journalism at its finest. My favorite part is the picture of Higarashi with the bloodied weapons that has "example of modern manga" as a caption.

I doubt Metro can afford investigative journalists (or anything else that costs more money than getting an intern to re-write news snippets found on the internet). It's a free, ad-supported rag that gets handed out at bus and train stops to entertain half-awake commuters with celebrity gossip rather than anything approaching a proper, respectable newspaper.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I watched some of Detective Conan on VHS back, oh, 6-7 years ago? It is utterly absurd, and it does fall into that weird place where you wonder what age group this was aimed at.

The child audience in Japan seems to be more lax in the amount of mature themes allowed in their shows.

Whereas here in USA One Piece and DBZ have to be heavily edited in order to be on TV Saturday mornings, they have no problem in Japan.

Hell, the first case in Detective Conan is about a woman decapitated while riding a roller coaster. That show aired at midnight when it first came to USA. Its on in the evenings in Japan.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
As long as nothing effect Detective Conan, I'm good. Detective Conan is my #1 Anime/Manga series....x_x
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Hell, the first case in Detective Conan is about a woman decapitated while riding a roller coaster.

It was a guy that got decapitated. The woman was the one who did it. Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
The child audience in Japan seems to be more lax in the amount of mature themes allowed in their shows.

Whereas here in USA One Piece and DBZ have to be heavily edited in order to be on TV Saturday mornings, they have no problem in Japan.

Hell, the first case in Detective Conan is about a woman decapitated while riding a roller coaster. That show aired at midnight when it first came to USA. Its on in the evenings in Japan.

Yeah, but One Piece and DBZ tend to fall heavily into the "fantasy violence" zone. The murders in Conan, while preposterous, involve real-life death scenarios, as opposed to chi-blasts and people made of rubber. To me, there is a creepiness to Conan that isn't there in other series.

Still, I think the standard that makes it kid-appropriate in Japan is "clear moral standards" less than the level of violence, which is why Death Note managed to be controversial. Conan definitely has that - the bad guys are always bad, the good guys are always good, etc. That it somehow encourages crime is ridiculous. It's all about a boy stopping crime; you're supposed to identify with Conan, not the criminals.
The Mask

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
I read in a Detective Conan forum that they could not determine which particular anime episode in the show featured draining blood as a method in disposing a corpse. This raises the question of the accuracy of the statement made by the victim's boyfriend.

Anyone care to answer what particular episode/movie/chapter featured the draining of a corpse's blood?

EDIT:

Here's the forum I was talking about. Right now, there seems to be no case in Detective Conan that supposedly featured the blood-draining procedure:

http://forums.dctp.ws/index.php?topic=3673

Last edited by The Mask on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
As a Detective Conan fan, I really don't want to see it get bad press. At the same time, though, "murder inspired by Conan" is along the same lines as "heist inspired by Encyclopedia Brown". If your idea of the perfect crime is Detective Conan, you have other issues than homicidal tendencies. Other methods of body disposal include distracting everybody with a gigantic puppet while carrying head of victim underneath your fat suit. Not to mention the episode where Conan is completely unconcerned about a woman having an open tank of kerosene in her living room... until he discovers that it's GASOLINE.) Besides, it's not like the show incited them to violence, just... to round off the crime in a very stupid way.

And about the Metro article... don't be too concerned. As Moomintroll said, it's not exactly The Guardian.

GATSU wrote:
I guess this link is fitting now.

YES. I love this. He so accurately summarizes all the things that make Detective Conan awesome and beloved by many.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I imagine that Det. Conan has played in Korean TV and most people are wondering how ridiculous it all sounds. They should worry more about how the killers got into that position. Sad
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall an episode of DC that involved draining the blood of a victim to make moving the body easier.
Next thing you know these gang members will say they got the idea from being a gang from all of the clans in Naruto.
Liars and murders, I hope their court system really makes them appreciate the value of their actions.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Also off the subject but wasnt the second season of Higurashi pulled from the air because of some murder?

Only one TV station canceled the series at that point. Most TV stations just pulled one episode that aired around the time the murder got a lot of press. Some TV stations didn't pull anything off the air.

I'm sure ANN had an article about it in the newsfeed. I'll see if I can dig it up and edit it into this post.

EDIT: Here it is.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
This is yet another reason why manga is evil, like rap.
Good job, Metro, for exposing the evils in society.
That's phat and stoopid. :lol:

For shizzle the dizzle. If that is what young whipersnapers are saying these days.

On a serious note, that is pretty cruel of those people to murder a person just because they saw it on television. Young people these days are often more violent than they need to be. Violence doesn't solve anything and what is even more sad is the fact Viz Media is going to deal with a another headache.

First D note and now Conan. What is next?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
It's a free, ad-supported rag that gets handed out at bus and train stops to entertain half-awake commuters with celebrity gossip rather than anything approaching a proper, respectable newspaper.

Indeed it is. Cleaning staff exempt, most of its readership forget its content soon after alighting the train. Since the paper is a journalistic hors d'œuvre at best, I doubt many folk will dwell over this article's claims regarding the murder being "in the manner of a violent manga film (sic)".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The suspects' reported motive was the victim's gossip about the male gang leader's "very bad behavior."

Well, at least we know that the victim was right about the "very bad behavior" and all...

Also, wtf at the random image of Higurashi. No one can say that wasn't an unjustified attack. Why didn't they use an image of Lucky Star or One Piece? Because Higurashi is about teenagers killing people. Rolling Eyes
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

On a serious note, that is pretty cruel of those people to murder a person just because they saw it on television. Young people these days are often more violent than they need to be. Violence doesn't solve anything and what is even more sad is the fact Viz Media is going to deal with a another headache.

Read the article again: they kidnapped her, held her for 4 days and did something 'unintentional' that resulted in her death (meaning they weren't planning on killing her but it happened anyway). None of that had anything to do with anime--or even television--and everything to do with shutting the victim up in regards to the gang leader's behavior.

Just be thankful they weren't aware of Sweeny Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. A Tony-Award winning musical warped me long before anime ever did...
skyechan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
First D note and now Conan. What is next?

Next at 11, Hamtaro Cited in Rising Gang Activity!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3