• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I.G Reveals Gargantia in the Verdurous Planet Anime's Story, Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
A Waterworld?

Redo hero's name should be "Reload" and his weapon still be "Chamber." Laughing

JohnnySake wrote:
Apparently really short skirts and shorts are an important staple of Earth's future female inhabitants. Wink

I thought Star Trek already foresaw that? Laughing

Nice catch. Smile

phia_one wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm gonna hold off on this one and read reviews. Looks too harem-ish.

I was really digging the concept... until I saw the Character section. I hope it isn't a harem show because I'm always up for some science fiction

I totally agree with this 100%. The concept is what has my interest peaked due to the potential for another ambitious scifi series for the same reason as you stated, I'm a huge scifi fan always up for more for of that. Them calling it a scifi adventure series and Urobuchi's involvement are what I'm holding onto for hope it's not going to be a harem show, so I'm still equally worried about what this is actually going to be.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am; edited 3 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
You know, I really wish the summary for this show ended after the first or second paragraph. I'd certainly watch a mecha space opera about humanity's fight for survival against an alien enemy (especially written by Gen Urobuchi). Unfortunately, it seems we're only to be teased with this possibility before it is promptly ripped away by a wormhole plot device. Of course, I don't mind the other premise either at least in principle. (Especially if it looks like this). In practice though, it seems to be nothing more than another slice of life show about a guy living peacefully amid a harem of teenage girls. Even despite the twist in setting, that sounds really trite. A neat setting is really only as good as what you do with it. (And as a rule, any show that resorts to the broken spine dual butt and chest pose should not be regarded with great optimism).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Definitely worth a try, I certainly like the talent helming the thing. I'm hoping they're gonna have the pilot delving into the ocean with that mecha of his.

Same here. The team behind this is very solid, and the premise sounds intriguing enough. Steampunk-ish?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
Definitely worth a try, I certainly like the talent helming the thing. I'm hoping they're gonna have the pilot delving into the ocean with that mecha of his.

Same here. The team behind this is very solid, and the premise sounds intriguing enough. Steampunk-ish?

Hmmm, yeah, I could see that depending upon how those cities built on those ships/boats in the concept art end up this could be at least part steampunk-ish. It's a bit hard to tell?

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
I thought this would be cool. I scrolled down to character designs; girl, girl with ass out, loli, girl with big boobs. DAMN IT it's a harem.

Well, I'm not out completely. It could be intelligent. maybe about the issues of a soldier in a horrific war trying to integrate into a peaceful society. That could be cool.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
the premise is interesting but the character designs..... Anime dazed
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Does anyone here think that Urobuchi's going to begin this series as a light-hearted sci-fi harem anime by way of Aria, only to bring the war to Earth and ruin the lives of the entire cast? It hasn't been explicitly confirmed yet but judging from his track record, it's pretty much an inevitability. Also raises the question of whether the protagonist of this show will be in the same vein as Kiritsugu and Shinya, of Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass respectively.

Production I.G. haven't had a great track record as of late, and I think Psycho Pass has been pretty revealing of Urobuchi's major weaknesses. That said, Madoka Magica was good enough that anything Urobuchi touches deserves at least a cursory glance. Here's hoping Urobuchi doesn't overwork himself and go the same way as Mari Okada?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
One of the more popular hentai artists drawing attractive character designs? What a shock!

This just seems to be making up for the backlash that people had against Psycho Pass in Japan. People wanted more cute girl suffering from Urobuchi and Psycho Pass didn't really live up to what people wanted (and why its an absolute flop in sales compared to Madoka and Fate/Zero, when many people thought anything that Urobuchi wrote after those two massive hits would be an easy sell). Cute girl suffering is what he does best, so I'm looking forward to it in this one.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Cute girl suffering is what he does best, so I'm looking forward to it in this one.

This statement is very informative about you. Anime dazed
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This just seems to be making up for the backlash that people had against Psycho Pass in Japan.

No it isnt,anime takes quite a while to create.Nobody can create in like a half year,because his previous series was a flop.
Anyways the premise looks good,the director only has worked on some ambitious and successful show I will definitely check it out.Sure the character designs look harem-ish.But upon checking their other faces which can be found on official site,I saw that there is no blushing face which seems to me like a pretty good indicator there is no romantic involvement(thus there is no harem).So yeah I guess we will have to wait for PV,
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
(And as a rule, any show that resorts to the broken spine dual butt and chest pose should not be regarded with great optimism).

Broken? But H has taught us that pose is flexibly possible! Razz

tuxedocat wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Cute girl suffering is what he does best, so I'm looking forward to it in this one.

This statement is very informative about you. Anime dazed

It's all about empowerment! Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
All the people complaining about how this looks, isn't that superficial?

I mean isn't it ironic those who are supposed to be all about substance over style, interested in the story and sci-fi aspect, now complaining about its style? If you're about substance over style, then why should the sensual aesthetics bother you?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If you're about substance over style, then why should the sensual aesthetics bother you?

Once bitten, twice shy is all. People are having flashbacks to other shows that looked promising and then turned into harem tripe.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
So, it's basically Waterworld as written by Gen Urobuchi, with ludicrously top-heavy passenger ships and mobile oil refineries as window dressing. The first two things that come to mind for me when looking at those nightmares of naval architecture are the names Doña Paz and Mont-Blanc.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
All the people complaining about how this looks, isn't that superficial? I mean isn't it ironic those who are supposed to be all about substance over style, interested in the story and sci-fi aspect, now complaining about its style?

I don't actually see anyone in this thread professing to be "all about substance over style". And even if anyone here did feel that way, I highly doubt it would be to the exaggerated level you're implying here. One can certainly prioritize substance and still find a show's superficial elements to be a detriment. It's not a black and white thing.

Quote:
If you're about substance over style, then why should the sensual aesthetics bother you?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with sensual character designs. So long as they aren't exaggerated to the point where it becomes ridiculous or distracting. What I, and I think a lot of people are criticizing is the fact that this seems like it will be another harem show. That's definitely not a superficial aspect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4