• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Manga of 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Butcher came off a bit elitist to me. He ragged on more stuff than other panel members did, but he was intro'd as running a bookstore in Canada so I sort of imagined the sort of clerks I talk to at the comic shop I visit who have all sorts of theories on the latest comic books. Lots of digs at licensed manga. It was practically a swear word so he hit me as those indie band fans who drop a band when it gets signed for "selling out".
Actually some of their slides were from last year. I remember Age Called Blue & Red Blinds the Foolish made last year's list (I prefered Est Em's Meet Me After the Show, but all 3 present an interesting perspective & are the ultimate of what yaoi can present-jarring emotional content. Garrity went on about Matador on Matador sex, but trust me, none of those books are all that explicit & it's matador on butcher sex. The title tale in Red Blinds is a matador who's suffering a mid-life crisis of sorts over his profession. The lover works in the butcher shop that received the bull carcasses after the fights. The matador keeps dreaming of himself as the bull being treated. The story I liked in Show was twin 20-somethings who say a bunch of strange things after the death of the old man in their home. Butcher specifically asked if non-yaoi fans would like it & Garrity just pressed the yaoi aspect when I feel yes, the 2 collections (Show & Red) would not offend non-yaoi fans unless 2 guys saying they are in a relationship offends the reader. Each of these books have a disquieting feel to them. They are not predictable or safe. I also swear Red Hot Chili Samurai was pictured last year.

The overall description of Chi made it sound more interesting. I have wondered looking into my kitties' eyes what the hell is going on in there. That the author actually seems to be trying to present the story from the cat's perspective without making it a small, fuzzy human gives the story a very interesting format. ANN's Carlo Santos was the most negative voice on it & he admitted it was cute.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Quote:
Garrity said she had been following Kekkaishi from the beginning and that while its premise is "not all that unusual," it's less episodic and more focused on an ongoing plot, which she felt was in keeping with its Shonen Sunday roots (in comparison to Shonen Jump titles like Bleach).

Heh, i think someone doesn't really know Jump enough.

Probably.

however wether it's true or not , in my view Kekaishi is a decent series in both the anime and the manga version. Sure it's no bleach, but it's a good series nevertheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Quote:
Garrity said she had been following Kekkaishi from the beginning and that while its premise is "not all that unusual," it's less episodic and more focused on an ongoing plot, which she felt was in keeping with its Shonen Sunday roots (in comparison to Shonen Jump titles like Bleach).

Heh, i think someone doesn't really know Jump enough.

She's a Viz editor. I'm guessing she's fairly familiar with Shonen Jump...
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
"Twilight, it turned out, was meant to be the first title under the Worst manga"
"Garrity expressed distaste for Maximum Ride"
the article does not say why either of these are bad. and both of these are manga adaptation yen press did of there parent companies best sellers. I have not look that hard at the twilight manga, but I am pretty sure it is not worst of the year, (that award can go to some of those tokyopop titles). however I think zack said it best on ANNcast when he said pretty boy vampires going after an average girl, so it fits well with shojo manga or something kinda like that. I have read the maximum ride manga and it is fairly well drawn, the charcters and story are well presented, and it is a well done plot. maximum ride is done by a korean artist who is good at their craft not some comic artist trying to copy "manga style" like so many tokyopop titles where (and I am sure the same type of thing happened with twilight).
I think yenpress has made good decisions in what american books they want to get manga treatment, and I see little reason why these books warrant the worst of the year label. when there are plenty of actual stinkers that get published in the us when the author said "ya X was a failure"
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
"Twilight, it turned out, was meant to be the first title under the Worst manga"
"Garrity expressed distaste for Maximum Ride"
the article does not say why either of these are bad. and both of these are manga adaptation yen press did of there parent companies best sellers. I have not look that hard at the twilight manga, but I am pretty sure it is not worst of the year, (that award can go to some of those tokyopop titles). however I think zack said it best on ANNcast when he said pretty boy vampires going after an average girl, so it fits well with shojo manga or something kinda like that. I have read the maximum ride manga and it is fairly well drawn, the charcters and story are well presented, and it is a well done plot. maximum ride is done by a korean artist who is good at their craft not some comic artist trying to copy "manga style" like so many tokyopop titles where (and I am sure the same type of thing happened with twilight).
I think yenpress has made good decisions in what american books they want to get manga treatment, and I see little reason why these books warrant the worst of the year label. when there are plenty of actual stinkers that get published in the us when the author said "ya X was a failure"

Actually, the part when someone said "Twilight was supposed to be the first title under worst manga" was a joke, or an attempted joke. The panelists' opinions were split on Twilight and Maximum Ride; some people thought the Twilight graphic novel sucked, others thought it was great. The same for Maximum Ride. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to discuss our disagreements. I personally think that Maximum Ride is pretty good for a licensed manga-- the art and storytelling is good, although I'm not interested in the original story. But I also think that licensed manga, in general, aren't very good and indicate the weakness of the American manga industry at the moment, having to pick up the scraps of franchises from other media.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd agree mostly with that sentiment ptolemy18 although for me personally it's not that they have licensed manga works out (really with a derivative work market of doujins it's not something out of place to see a manga aesthetic applied to an existing work) but more of showing the weakness of the market by how they are doing. As Zac commented on in the ANN Cast Twilight if it were any other series not based on an existing work would have been great numbers, but because it's licensed material it comes off being less of a performer than it initially appeared. It becomes aggravated when you have both large and small comic book publishers doing licensed works and raking some money in (As Marvel to my knowledge is still doing there "literary" comics as well as IDW, Dabel Brothers, and Dynamite Comics) it makes you wonder what kind of position manga is in if it can't even ride on some of the success that Twilight has achieved.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A wish list came next: the wine manga Kami no Shizuku (Drops of God)

But no love for Bartender? Guess they are rich wine snobs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2