• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: DiCaprio, Jolie & Pitt's Family Are Anime Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Liking Miyazaki doesn't make you an anime fan. The day an actor comes out and proclaims their love for Kodocha or Ah My Goddess and shows us pictures of their room dedicated to their gigantic DVD collection, I'll believe they're fans.

...I can just imagine Joe Pesci saying he likes Baccano. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Anyway, I think that Megan Fox once said that she used to watch anime on Adult Swim. Too lazy to google up the interview...
spoony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Leo was a tad condescending, though:
Quote:
"I'm truly excited to see how the audiences here would react to this idea," he said,

How is this quote condescending?

I ask because I'm genuinely curious. I don't see what's wrong with it.

I was in Tokyo in June and there were a bunch of gas stations with Leonardo DiCaprio banners. I think he was advertising tires. =P
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
spoony: I'd get into how, but Keonyn would ban me. So just put two and two together using the ANN article.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Leo's professed interest in anime isn't a surprise (I remember a similar article about the matter on this site a year or so ago), but the other random tidbit about Pitt & Jolie's kids enjoying the Ghibli films is sweet.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, we're still getting people complaining that "Interest" articles aren't news? Well, may I say, duh?

I think ANN is giving too much credit to a portion of its readers. The "Interest" icon should really say something like "NOT NEWS" so people will stop making themselves look stupid time and time again.

As for the content, yay, Jolie is a fan of mainstream animated family films! [/sarcasm]
Oh well, I liked Salt, so more power to her.
kikin0083

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
my ass, just because they saw a ghibli film doesnt mean your an anime fan. besides miyazaki in my opinion I dont consider Miyazaki films to be part of the Fandom when it is taken to a very mainstream level. Besides theres idiot parents out there that call his films "disney films" and have no idea is an animation genre of japanese origin.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Wow. Movie stars like Ghibli movies.

BIG DEAL!
Well, to be fair it is mentioned DiCaprio is attached to the Ninja Scroll and Akira live-action films. Ninja Scroll is branching out quite a bit. I have to wonder just how much they have take out of that one to even hit the R rating.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
I happen to have ANN on an RSS feed for all articles, so i can't tell whether this is under interest or news, and there's no indication of what kind of post this is on the article.

On topic: I'm still waiting for that celebrity to mention a title that's a bit less main stream.

Didn't you hear? Soulja boy likes vegetaman
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
You know, I could TOTALLY see Inception being developed into an anime.

There's such a rich well of stories there. Plus, even though the movie had great CG and special effects, animation would completely expand the dreamscapes in ways that live action CG couldn't match.

Yeah, it has the potential to crash and burn, but if it had a team of great writers, it could be great.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I happen to have ANN on an RSS feed for all articles, so i can't tell whether this is under interest or news, and there's no indication of what kind of post this is on the article.

There are actually multiple RSS feeds now, so you can divide them up if you like. If you go here there is a list and link to all the available feeds. Under "Newsroom" if you simply select the "News" feed then articles like this one will be omitted. Of course, often times the articles title will make the kind of content obvious anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
I don't get it. Why are people frakking moaning so much?

Last I checked, it's the reporters and editors on this site who have the authority to post what goes where - not us peons. And last I checked (more like....from past experience), any and all posts must first go through the editor-in-chief - that'd be Zac - for them to end up on the front page.

So, isn't it just a wee bit safe to assume - just a tiny bit - that if something's on the front page...there's a good reason it's there...?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nolan has reportedly cited Satoshi Kon's anime film Paprika as an inspiration for the character of a female dream architect, played by actress Ellen Page.

Separate works, separate titles, separate canons. I can approve of such a use of inspiration. Nolan was able to benefit from the creative devices Paprika without "annexing" his product to it: there is no risk of the general public coming to associate the earlier film with the later, and hence no risk of common preconceptions of one work deriving from common reception of the other.

In virtue of the fact this is not true of other projects mentioned in this article, I cannot speak of them in a similarly approving manner. Nonetheless, I acknowledge that many do not share my disapproval.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a article. I remember on other anime forum like myanimelist we would talk about celebrities (non-Japanese one, since anime and manga are mainstream over there) who are anime fan. Here's a interesting pic of celebs who are anime fan:

source: http://slumz.boxden.com/f429/famous-people-who-like-anime-1318621/

Also, did you know Megan Fox like anime? I'm not lying I was shocked that Megan said this and she said that on Seventeen/Cosmogirlmagazine.

Quote:
HOW DID YOU GET INTO YOUR LOVE OF ANIME AND GRAPHIC NOVELS?

I started drawing when I was about 2, mostly pictures of my mother and my sister. When I got into school, instead of taking the notes that I should have been taking, I was drawing in all of my notebooks. It was an artwork thing for me at first. But when I was 12, Adult Swim on Cartoon Network started, and they had a lot of anime cartoons on, like Cowboy Bebop and InuYasha, and that’s when I first started seeing it in cartoon form and actually started researching it. I’d also been a fan of graphic novels, so it’s that kind of art as well as Japanime art that I’m in love with. For comics, my sister always collected X-Men, and that’s where it started. Then I discovered this comic book Gen13, and that just opened me up to a whole world of animation. I just really, really love it, and I spend a lot of time on the Internet researching it. In fact, it’s probably the only reason I even have a computer, so I can go on and see the latest drawings from Michael Turner, who is one of my favorite artists.

We don't know other celebrities who are anime fan. It could be someone who doesn't even look like a nerd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
It usually sounds like pandering to me when all you hear someone mention are some of the most popular things one would associate with something.

Who knows though, maybe Leo really does like anime and wants those upcoming projects to be successful because of the anime part (as opposed to the money part).

Also, liking Ghilbi films does NOT mean you like anime in my opinion. Again, it means you like something that is widely known. You could just be a fan of cartoons and so happens you saw a popular anime. When someone involved with these anime projects mentions something that takes more than a quick google search to know about then I will believe they are decent enough anime fans.
rabrek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
But regardless, massive kudos to Nolan and co. for making a movie I've been craving for a very long time to see now... Paprika was good...but not good enough to satisfy what Inception satisfied. :3

Interesting. I've seen Inception twice now, and as much as I like the movie, it could have used a bit of Paprika-esque "randomness", if only in the backgrounds. Dreams in this movie were practically Real Life, with a little fuss with gravity. Not that I expected to see ninja bartenders, hallways engulfed in flame that never collapse, or supermarkets where you change size depending on which aisle you're in... but even a buttoned-down businessman might be expected to have the odd bit of tasteful whimsy wandering through his subconscious. I got my hopes up when Paris folded over on itself and the train slammed through traffic in the television ads, but that was about it. Oh, and spoiler[Eames being able to "forge" other characters]. That was a plus.

I enjoyed Inception, and I'll be pre-ordering the DVD. But when I saw Mike Eisenberg's mashup of the Inception and Toy Story 3 trailers... oooooh yes. I didn't expect Inception to be as riotous as Paprika, but a measure of that surreal goodness would have given Nolan's movie the dreamlike aspect I had anticipated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5