• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: The Award Goes To...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
Before I make my comments, I would like to thank you, Rebecca, for taking the time to answer my question. Originally, I wanted to start a thread about this very subject about the anime industry "dying" in the General anime forum, but I couldn't think of a proper way to start one. So I e-mailed you the question in hope that we can promote a comprehensive discussion. For that, I thank you very much! Very Happy

Personally, I don't believe that the anime industry is dying. I do believe that the anime industry is saturated; saturated to the point that as you mentioned, there are too many titles on the market for the common anime consumer. However, with new retailers such as www.YAYanime.com popping up to go with the existing retailers (such as Besy Buy, TRSI, and www.animenation.com ), there will always be good options for a consumer to buy their share of anime. As long as there are core anime fans that truly appreciate and honor the tradition and greatness of Japanese animation, the anime industry will continue to exist and grow, maybe even stronger than it is now.

As for the person that asked about the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim "split": This move was done to boost advertisement sales for the network as a whole. As I mentioned in a prior thread related to this topic, Adult Swim generated $70 million in ad sales last year, which is 7% of the $1 billion in ad sales that late-night programming generates annually. This $70 million is also 25% of Cartoon Network's total ad revenue for last year. With AC Neilson now recognizing Adult Swim as their own separate entity, this will promote ads (such as automobile ads) to air on CN that would not normally air during their kid-oriented programming (such as the Miguzi block). You might have noticed that recently during AS programming over the last few weeks. Please note that this change will take in effect starting March 28.

I'm going to provide some links to these topics:

For the Ask John article about the American anime industry "dying", click here.

For the article about the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim "split", click here.

For the ANN news feature of the "split" (and its companion thread), click here.

Last edited by biliano on Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote
I found that The Anime Corner Store, Deep Discount DVD, and the new online store YAY! Anime have overall better prices than TSRI. I mainly keep an eye out on TSRI because whenever they have a major sale or special discount that involves something I want to buy, then it is a HUGE discount and the price beats out anyone else's out there. Other than that, while they DO sell below MSRP, they are the closest of the vendors that do sell below MSRP that charge the most. I've always been able to find lower prices for anime at The anime corner store and DDDVD, and even best buy (retail, not online) than at TSRI. THough TSRI does get major points for being a major distributor who does not sell at MSRP (unlike Sam Goody or Suncoast) and who is even a licensor in their own right. And, like I said, TSRI does beat EVERYONE's prices on the stuff that they put on special sales. I remember when they put all current Geneon releases (preorders did not count) at 40% off of THEIR price (this was back in October, iirc). Man, I wish I'd had something to buy from Geneon then because that was a killer deal.
goku 73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
hi!

i bought some dvds and some posters at Anime Castle

http://www.animecastle.com/

thier prices are very reasonable and you usually receive your order witin two days.
manafairy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
They don't sell merchandise, but for the only place I've seen that's cheaper on their DVDs than DeepDiscountDVD, I'd reccomend DVDPacific.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Someone else got to it first! Drat. Yesasia is a great place to go to find titles not available in the US. Granted, I use it more often for R3 releases, but R2 DVDs are just as common (but pricey...).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gusty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
AzuNinja wrote:

Despite what people WANT to say, some people REALLY don't want to accept new fans, and shouldn't have to.

See, I view things differently, I welcome each and every person who becomes interested in anime regardless of how they got into it. If there's one thing that I can't stand in any fandom it's snobbery over who was here 'the longest' or who's 'seen the most'. Sure, there are fans with certain quirks that annoy me. There are some 'n00bs' as you put them that act bigger than their britches and there are some 'otaku' who do the same. We love anime, isn't that enough?

Here's my confession: I didn't really get 'into' anime until Pokemon came around when I was in High School. The reason was because I hadn't really had a chance to be exposed to it until that time. I grew up in a household that couldn't afford the prices for Internet connection at the time and only saw what was shown on basic cable. Around the time I did get into Pokemon, we got the Internet and I was able to learn more about anime, and started buying tapes with birthday and Christmas money until I got my first job. I'm sure if I'd had I the means to 'discover' anime earlier on than I would have latched onto it earlier. Should I be grouped into your 'low' class of anime fans simply because of the circumstances from which I became a fan?

So, I state my point again... if you're an anime fan of any length of time, be it decades or a day I'll be glad to call you 'brother' or 'sister' as long as you're respectful. Smile I've found so many friends of all ages in this fandom!
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Gusty wrote:
See, I view things differently, I welcome each and every person who becomes interested in anime regardless of how they got into it. If there's one thing that I can't stand in any fandom it's snobbery over who was here 'the longest' or who's 'seen the most'. Sure, there are fans with certain quirks that annoy me. There are some 'n00bs' as you put them that act bigger than their britches and there are some 'otaku' who do the same. We love anime, isn't that enough?

(...)

So, I state my point again... if you're an anime fan of any length of time, be it decades or a day I'll be glad to call you 'brother' or 'sister' as long as you're respectful. Smile I've found so many friends of all ages in this fandom!

Well said, Gusty. I'm happy to report that there are a lot of us who feel the same way. In my book, it matters little what kind of anime or manga people like (de gustibus non disputandem est, "matters of taste aren't open to discussion", after all). What is important is how you approach the other people who share your interest in manga/anime, but not your specific tastes.

Sure, I can get annoyed when somebody comes along and rambles about Naruto or Inu Yasha in that particularly devoted and almost narrow-minded attitude that fans of these shows often have - but that doesn't mean that I treat all fans of these (good) shows with rudeness. Many of them are willing to argue for their devotion, and listen to counter-arguments. And I do love a good, balanced debate.

What really gets my temper up is the type of poster who can't spell or use proper grammar - not because he never had the opportunity to learn, or through any kind on inborn limitation (e.g. dyslexia), but because he simply won't bother to learn. You get that type among all kinds of fans - from Beyblade to Haibane Renmei (though the mind boggles at that, it is nevertheless true). And boy, are they annoying.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
aw man u know u cant keep pickin on all da fanz people wo kuldnt make it past da turd grade an all dat its an insult to al da animez fanz who jus like what we like an u re jus a big meanie

Wink

It scares me that it took more effort to write the intentionally bad sentence than posting in a coherent manner.

edit: Animeten is a pretty decent place to pick up DVD's as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone who responded with their picks. I'll be compiling them all within the next week or two, so keep posting your picks for as long as you'd like.

Haiseikoh 1973 ~ I was going off of the fact that both titles have darker themes to them and suggested a few others that also incorporated such themes.

biliano ~ Good question, good info Smile
ashram12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to comment on the answer you gave to the parent of an anime fan wondering what other series would be of interest to his teenage daughter. I can't believe you would recommend watching Hellsing and Berserk when the person in question likes Wolf Rain and Angel Sanctuary.
I find Hellsing to be a particularly bad recommendation. It's extremely / over the top violent, and the sexual content... definitely not something I'd recommend to a teenage girl.
Maybe a more appropriate suggestion would be X, or Yami no Matsuei.
Av4rice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I definitely have to plug www.AnimeGamersUSA.com (the online version of the Anime Gamers specialty store in Los Angeles, which in turn is the US branch of the famous Gamers chain in Japan). I haven't actually ordered anything from there, but I do work there and the stock room looks like it has a pretty incredible selection (not to mention the warehouse which I haven't seen). And the staff are all great people, of course, ready to fill you order ASAP Wink
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ashram12 wrote:
I find Hellsing to be a particularly bad recommendation. It's extremely / over the top violent, and the sexual content... definitely not something I'd recommend to a teenage girl.

If you think Hellsing is bad, that's nothing compared to Gantz. That series makes Hellsing look like Snow Fairy Sugar! Wink

Rebecca wrote:
biliano ~ Good question, good info

Just doing my part as a devoted otaku. Wink Thanks! Very Happy

Oh! While I'm here, I might as well plug www.animeten.com as a recommendation. They might not have a huge selection of DVDs, but they are a great shop to buy collectibles. Plus, Abel is a great guy and both their service and website are awesome. Abel started a thread in the Retail section so check it out.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Also Remember the Dollar has taken a hit in the last few years, suffering from both a strong Euro and strong Pound.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I've used www.digitaleyes.net for some anime DVDs, as well as some non-anime DVDs. Their prices are considerably lower than MSRP. For comparison, Evangelion Platinum DVD 1 + Art Box costs $40 MSRP, but that site has it for only $30. Similarly, Evangelion Platinum DVD 2 costs $30 MSRP, while that site sells it for less than $20. However, while the selection is very large, some less "mainstream" titles cannot be bought, i.e. series like FLCL, which has a smaller distributor compared to companies like ADV and Geneon.

Last edited by Necros Antiquor on Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:

Haiseikoh 1973 ~ I was going off of the fact that both titles have darker themes to them and suggested a few others that also incorporated such themes.

Now it makes sense...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4