• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation's S.A.V.E. edtions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
I personally have picked up the BECK "SAVE" edition, and have some good news. The cover art IS reversible, so you don't have to look at the logo/green color.

Better yet it is pretty good cover art featuring the main characters.

Woop Woop. this is all I needed to hear. Next week, Buying BECK..
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Here's a tip: whenever a S.A.V.E. edition comes out keep an eye out for TRSI to blow out previous box sets. I was thinking about getting the Beck S.A.V.E. edition from Amazon on their recent S.A.V.E. sale, but then I checked the RightStuf bargain bin and was able to get the regular box set for just $16.99 which is pretty close to the S.A.V.E. price, does not take up that much more room on my shelf and has all the extras from the original release.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Big Windup is reversible too, but there's no title on the spine or front cover (disk index on the back), which I guess is normal for reversibles. Hate the flip case anyway though, so the disks are going into sleeves. Smile
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ Mr Adventure & Rime of the Ancient Otaku:

The reason I asked is because from what I observed, shows that either don't sell well at all or shows that have been around for a while and seemed to gained all the money it could at one point end up as part of the S.A.V.E edtion. For example Big Windup was released last year and half a year later this past January, we find out the DVDs didn't sell well. Now since the end of August the complete first season is being released as a S.A.V.E edition. And certain shows that I think were released by ADV at one point or shows that Funimation had for a while now and had sold as many DVDs as they could've at the time such as Kanon, Air, and Pumpkin Scissors, or Moonphase end up on the S.A.V.E edition.

And as I recall, there was a big bruhaha about whether or not Pumpkin Scissors was going to be completed in singles form at all. How many folks were scared off from getting into the series then?
Yes, since then there's been a cheaper-than-the-singles, 2 half-season set-- which I suppose you could consider the Viridian Collection version without the Viridian logo.
Now there's the S.A.V.E. version which is cheaper-than-the-half-season-treatment version. Basically, with this and all S.A.V.E.s there's no longer a price excuse for a collector who wants a set not to have one, not at cheaper-than-the-cost-of-a-cup-of-coffee prices.

Funimation isn't doing anything the book industry hasn't done for decades: Singles with a box are like the Hardcover edition that comes out 6 months before softback. Viridian Collection is the soft cover.
S.A.V.E. is the Book Club edition.

Bottom line: a fan either has a series already in a version with more bells and whistles, can buy it at S.A.V.E.'s dirt-cheap price, or was never going to pay for it in the first place.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The green spine is FUNI's way of calling you a cheap bastard. I was about to buy the save edition of Big Windup! until I saw the two season sets for cheaper at 16 dollars.

The funny thing is that all these cheap shows aren't very good quality. I mean, Aquarion? Kanon? Moon Phase? These are either very mediocre or bad shows.

The commercial for their S.A.V.E. editions says "iwill I buy one or two"? and the answer is neither. They have some really bad shows on that S.A.V.E. list.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
The funny thing is that all these cheap shows aren't very good quality. I mean, Aquarion? Kanon? Moon Phase? These are either very mediocre or bad shows.

I beg to differ. While a number of mediocre and bad shows do make the SAVE line, quality titles like BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Kurau Phantom Memory, Kodocha and Welcome to the NHK (coming out next month) are also among the list of titles in the SAVE line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
That Kurau show is pretty iffy from the description. Didn't know NHK is gonna be a S.A.V.E. and Beck was the only good show other than Big Windup! that didn't totally suck.
Cowboy Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
If FUNimation got the Urusei Yatsura series and rereleased it in a better, cheaper way than AnimEgo did, I would die a happy man.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
The funny thing is that all these cheap shows aren't very good quality.

Yeah, from what I've seen, most of the shows they've put to S.A.V.E. so far are pretty well average to well below average, although Beck was one of their first S.A.V.E. shows and that's pretty well received in general, perhaps they'll decide to release an above average title here and there to call attention to the line in general though, as though to say "Look, we've got good shows too! This S.A.V.E. title was good, try out another since they're so damn cheap!", which I must say is not a bad idea from a business standpoint. I bet that eventually even stuff like Baccano! will get to S.A.V.E. edition, maybe even next December since the next one coming out this December will be at $40 MSRP and $30 is the max for S.A.V.E.s and few people would call Baccano! a bad show.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Here is a website that has all the stuff that is out in "SAVE" editions now. With a couple of "coming soon" titles (which are actually out now) like Moonlight Mile, Glass Fleet. The only one I have not seen in the store was Ghost Hunt.

http://www.funimation.com/save/
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Moonlight Mile?! Probably just the first half of the series that ADV repeased. Really wish someone would get the second season out.

Also, I'll agree with the 'not very good' show quality on the majority of SAVE titles. With a handful of good ones.

On that note, 009-1 is one of the good ones....

Has anyone bought it? Does it have a reversible cover art? I must know.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I liked Aquarion....
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I have the S.A.V.E editions of Aquarion and Moeyo Ken- both just had a sticker on the spine, and use thinpack boxsets. Very nice deals!

I've also seen that the Kodocha boxsets have reversible covers via the mania.com forums- [hope they don't mind me linking these here-

The reverse side have gossip magazine styled covers, a nice nod to the show's entertainment business setting.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I've also seen that the Kodocha boxsets have reversible covers via the mania.com forums

Whew, thank god I know now this, it makes me far less anti-S.A.V.E. if they're kind enough to put some reversible covers on the green spined things, whew! That's a load off my mind! I mean, the reversible spines on Kodocha don't seem spectacular per se, but it's a vast improvement!

Now they just have to release something I really really want to get that I do not already have...

Oh, and it appears from looking at said thread that they don't all have spines on the reverse cover, but it's better than having that ugly green thing, I do take back a good percentage of the ire I just had for S.A.V.E. about 12 hours or so earlier.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd been hesistant about getting the SAVE boxes because all the series I want have the green spine but if they have reversible covers then I much more happy. One more question, I know that most of Funi's releases don't have many extras anyway these days, but are they all stripped in the SAVE editions to save space or are they there?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4