• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-09-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
I would imagine that if Masashi dies, his brother would take over Naruto for him.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
I'd note that The Secret of Kells gets a R1 release in a few weeks, and it's totally worth seeing.

I didn't include it because it's originally in English (though actually the story draws heavily on irish mythology and I was wondering if it was going to be in Irish Gaelic at one point, plus I also previously wondered if it was in French as it's a coproduction between irish, french and belgian studios) and therefore has instantly got a considerably better chance of international release than something not originally in English. I do really want to see it though, it looked gorgeous from the trailer (which I saw about four years ago, they've taken a while over this one but it looks like it was worth it).

I'm actually in the u.k., so I guess I'm mostly not too worried that English language animated films won't be released here as it's easy to import from the u.s./canada for R1 stuff that doesn't make it over. I still wish they'd release The Halloween Tree, Twice Upon a Time, The Phantom Tollbooth and Grendel Grendel Grendel on DVD though (well actually I think they released TPT at one point, but it's long out of print).

I am also looking forward to seeing Mary & Max (about a man in his 40s with Aspergers and an 8 year old girl who become pen-pals, stopmotion, by the director of the excellent Harvie Krumpet), which has just been or is about to be released on DVD in the states, Strange Frame: Love and Sax (awesome looking sci-fi musical animated feature with a unique cut out animation style, my understanding is that part of the goal is to create a sustainable animation industry in east hawaii), and The Romantic (really low budget and rather disturbing, looks like it has interesting themes and characters, about someone who challenges the gods and brings about the start of a new world or something like that), on the originally in English side of things.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
I've also been curious about non-japanese animation, especially French as it seems to get mentions in the forums from time to time (maybe for the sci-fi stuff?), but I have no idea where to start or what to look out for. I hear Gandahar is great, but I'm not sure if there was an R1 DVD for it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Funimation's release of Hetalia might just be a success.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SPDSAS?ie=UTF8&tag=funblog-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003SPDSAS

Judging by the bestseller's rank, I'd say it was a success and then some.

Anyway, awesome banner. I've never heard of Naruto losing fans because of character deaths, heck most seem to prefer those happening and criticize Bleach for over-protecting its good guys. Aizen has become a Villain Sue though, few people are in denial about that nowadays.

If it means more bunnies, by all means Zac, keep abusing the power!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Oh Zac. You and your damn bunnies. But that first one did manage to get a "Hmm... I want to buy a bunny now" reaction out me. But I won't give in! Never! And kinda happy you took the shonen title question seriously. Thank you.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Quote:
(and I say crap because based on the last couple of seasons, most of it is actually quantifiably crap, not just “crap” where “crap” means “stuff”)

While I will admit, there have been many things I passed on because it looked like crap, I think some of the stuff they picked up in the last three seasons to be enjoyable.

And they did have Durarara! which I loved!

garfield15 wrote:

loka wrote:
crunchyroll missed Angel Beats. they missed Arakawa Under the Bridge and House of Five Leaves. they missed Baka to Test and Seitokai Yakuindomo. every season this year they don't have the best shows. it's a sad thing indeed that there are people out there that believe crunchyroll streams enough anime already. certainly enough crap.

Did you really expect anybody to simulcast Angel Beats? I didn't, I mean, that had to have been an expensive license. And I mean, House of Five Leaves was already picked up by FUNi anyway, since they had that noitaminA deal.
[/quote]

I BET that Angel Beats was expensive! It may be a while before we see it R1, if ever, in a release. I am hoping on a Blu-Ray release on it though. Loved it.

Cool, another Seitokai Yakuindomo fan! I love that show, reminds me of another show from last season.. but funnier! I bet it would be just incredible with a decent dub.. punch up the comic timing better.

I was rather surprised how much I liked the dub of Clannad, it's quite fun.

Oh and Zac... nicely done, if not as vehement as usual. Love the return of that animated banner!
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
crunchyroll missed Angel Beats. they missed Arakawa Under the Bridge and House of Five Leaves. they missed Baka to Test and Seitokai Yakuindomo. ...

Its not clear why the production committee of Seitokai Yakuindomo did not stream it on Crunchyroll. But note that even if TBS/GoHands had decided to stream Seitokai Yakuindomo on Crunchyroll, for this week's Answerman, it seems like it would have been included in the crap basket.

It may be that GoHands, in only its second Animation Production according to the ANN list, did not want to take on the simulcast upload and neither did TBS/etc.. Durarara on TBS{*} had Brains Base for Animation Production, and they would have already been involved in uploading to Crunchyroll with Natsume Yūjin-Chō, so that would have been an easier call for TBS.

{* I'm assuming that TBS was top dog broadcaster on Durarara because it simulcasted after TBS' airing rather than after MBS' airing a day earlier.}
K.o.R

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Only one slight problem with the banner (otherwise it is indeed awesome)...

Surprised
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Netflix, the buyers have become pretty flaky when it comes to picking up new anime titles. When I first subscribed, I could reliably find any new title I wanted (granted, this was back before the bubble burst). Now, it seems like they aren't even buying all the new Funimation or Bandai titles, and the chances of finding the other distributors' releases have become pretty slim.

I'm almost to the point of trying rentanime.com or some other site for my anime rentals.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
And it is interesting to me that, despite the swing towards more shoujo and especially BL in the US, the dominating fujoshi-appealing shounen comics seem scarce.

Right now, Hetalia, Inazuma Eleven, Reborn!, and Gintama are juggernauts here in terms of popularity with teenage girls, enough that I just consider them "the big four." Excluding Hetalia, I can't think of a shoujo title that even compares. (Kimi ni Todoke would probably be the closest..?)

I would think Kuroshitsuji would be one of those shonen juggernauts. Unless you're already excluding shonen titles obviously aimed at gals in the first place. I've always assumed by the fans here that Hetalia is in the same group as Black Butler.
I know of one Reborn fan here & TRSI just cancelled the next 2 volumes I had pre-ordered for her so I can't imagine it's doing that well.
Etrien wrote:
I can't help but assume they'd make more headway with those titles if they tried marketing them directly towards girls. (Although who knows - Funimation's release of Hetalia might just be a success.)

Why wouldn't it sell well? The only problem might be the people who downloaded it refusing to buy the official release for all the usual excuses (no money because I'm a starving student, etc), but overall gals seem to be pretty willing to fork out cash to support their addictions as seen by the BL market.

I see the problem with Bleach, Naruto, etc as more they're getting pretty old so there's the migration to adulthood of some fans & the idea of actually keeping someone's attention for 5+ yrs. There's always newer/cooler/faster/stronger stuff to be had/distract. The core fans will remain, but the fad followers will drift. Every long-running manga series I've read has had their dry patches-same for anime titles-but the good ones manage to come back from the brink. Kubo has already missed one or 2 interesting ways of ending the Aizen storyline which is disappointing, but Bleach IS a shonen title & thus it really can't be damned for sticking to the formula.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I would think Kuroshitsuji would be one of those shonen juggernauts. Unless you're already excluding shonen titles obviously aimed at gals in the first place. I've always assumed by the fans here that Hetalia is in the same group as Black Butler.
I disagree. I think Soul Eater might be nearer to being a "shônen juggernauts" than Black Butler, or Gintama, but Black Butler? Nope.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
I disagree. I think Soul Eater might be nearer to being a "shônen juggernauts" than Black Butler, or Gintama, but Black Butler? Nope.

For teenage girls in Japan? I don't know why you would think Soul Eater would be appealing to them more than Black Butler.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
As much as I love Netflix, the buyers have become pretty flaky when it comes to picking up new anime titles. When I first subscribed, I could reliably find any new title I wanted (granted, this was back before the bubble burst). Now, it seems like they aren't even buying all the new Funimation or Bandai titles, and the chances of finding the other distributors' releases have become pretty slim.

I'm almost to the point of trying rentanime.com or some other site for my anime rentals.

I agree. When I started Netflix, they had all the Nozomi titles, but I don't see Aria the Origination or Maria-sama ga Miteru season 4 there. When I finish Ergo Proxy and my Satoshi Kon retrospective, I'm thinking of moving on. There's always RedBox at the supermarket for movies.

Edit: oh, and on revenue, the revenue from Netflix on the DVD's is the license in the purchase price. Since they might buy 30 copies of a niche release, its much less than in the days of video stores. They will of course have to pay a royalty to stream, but if Crunchyroll is paying out over half their gross revenue for royalties and other rights payments, Crunchy would be more lucrative to the rights holder putting up the stream.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Funimation might know what to do with something like Soul Eater or Master of Martial Hearts, but if you ask them "hey could you guys sell this black and white 15-minute stop motion Belgian short about a depressed broke haberdasher who kills himself after realizing his dead wife never loved him", they would probably say "uh, no".

Unless... Unless of course he was some Vampire who went to an all boys school full of deviant, yaoi vampires, or lived next to a quartet of young, school-aged girls who, besides being cute as a button, also happen to shred in this amazing rock band (despite the fact one of the guitarists is better than Eddie VanHalen, but she can't read sheet music and she's only been playing for a few weeks), or the local high school down the street is chocked full of sexy, overdeveloped teen girls with super powers (and a school uniform with the durability of wet tissue paper, and about as much coverage) who have to battle to the death (or wardrobe malfunction) for some and obscure tournament to decide the fate of the world!

Glass is half full, Zac ;3 LOL!
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
I've also been curious about non-japanese animation, especially French as it seems to get mentions in the forums from time to time (maybe for the sci-fi stuff?), but I have no idea where to start or what to look out for. I hear Gandahar is great, but I'm not sure if there was an R1 DVD for it.

I can PM you or post some more recommendations in this thread if you want?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4