• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
An alright episode, not particulary funny but decent animation. I did like the opening however and reminded me of Eden of the East's opener.

So solving real emotional issues using gal-game strategies huh. Seems probable to me given most emotional issues I have seen in other people can be solved reasonably simply. So (I have not read the manga), will this series entice us will actual issues or stick to simplistics? I like silly shows, but the premise does have the opportunity to go places and nothing annoys me more than seeing a show with a good premise used for basic humour.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
An alright episode, not particulary funny but decent animation. I did like the opening however and reminded me of Eden of the East's opener.

So solving real emotional issues using gal-game strategies huh. Seems probable to me given most emotional issues I have seen in other people can be solved reasonably simply. So (I have not read the manga), will this series entice us will actual issues or stick to simplistics? I like silly shows, but the premise does have the opportunity to go places and nothing annoys me more than seeing a show with a good premise used for basic humour.

This puts you in the same misguided camp as Key. Look, this is the premise: a Don Juan of dating sim games mistakenly enters a contract with a demon who misunderstood his "skill." Now, a dood totally unsuited for 3D girl interaction must replicate his game skills in real life or lose his head. His demon "buddy" is a little cutie with a broom and Death Head hair pin. Okay, folks, this is a great LIGHT COMEDY premise. Get it? LIGHT COMEDY. To be mooning for sophisicated, urbane, Woody Allen-esque type humour is COMPLETELY MISPLACED.

[Trolling comment removed. It is not necessary to end your posts in such a manner. You are required to be respectful whether people agree with you or not, and wishing harm on others is not how one shows respect. - Keonyn]
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Seems like a fine generic anime to me. I don't know why people are expecting some mind blowing greatness based on the premise.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as I've only read the first 4 girl arcs in the manga. I say the anime did a perfectly fine job with ep 1.

It followed the manga (which I think starts off slow and just meh and gets better) didn't leave anything out really. It's going to get better as it goes though each arc, thats all there is to say. Because thats how the manga did it, it got better as the story went on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Guys lay off on Key, someone had to give a review that was not all "OMG this is cool", I myself seem to be feeling simular to Key's view. I liked the first episode and all, but I guess I am just not seeing the spark that others are, I will probably watch it but do far Sora no Otoshimano Forte has impressed me more.

What I did like, well that bit about cute magical girl apparently being a messenger of hell, kind of reminded me of Muffy the assassin rabbit. The possibility of some character growth look good, the guy so far feels like the geeky guy in Mayoi Neko Overrun. Who the hell thinks weird flags like those make girls like you, but some of the cuts to makeing fun of certain things were funny. And it looks like their uniforms have taken over Seitokai no Ichizon in the lamest male school uniforms I have ever seen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Guys lay off on Key, someone had to give a review that was not all "OMG this is cool", I myself seem to be feeling simular to Key's view. I liked the first episode and all, but I guess I am just not seeing the spark that others are, I will probably watch it but do far Sora no Otoshimano Forte has impressed me more.

Uh, you do realize that the two statements I've bolded contradict each other, right? Or to be super-explicit, if you "liked" the first episode, then there is absolutely no way you could have the "same feeling" about it that Key did.

And as for being more impressed with Sora no Otoshimano: Forte than TWGOK - look, [insult removed]
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Okay, folks, this is a great LIGHT COMEDY premise. Get it? LIGHT COMEDY. To be mooning for sophisicated, urbane, Woody Allen-esque type humour is COMPLETELY MISPLACED.

I think what most people are trying to say is that light comedy can be more imaginative than that (a good example would be Asobi ni Ikuyo, whose Eris is also present in this series). That said, judging the author's imagination from one episode is also wrong, so personally I'll stick around.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

[troll comment removed]

Quote:
[insults removed]

Sheesh, take a pill for that, will ya?

I haven't been greatly impressed by a single first episode of this season yet, including this one. So excuse me if we're not impressed and some may just be more comfortable with the mediocre we know over the mediocre we don't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
[troll comment removed]

Confused

Why is this your reaction just because I wished to see a premise used for a greater storyline even though I said I like silly comedy, I just did not find this episode to be particularly funny to sustain a series. I see so many light comedies, which have an interesting universe, used for joking when a good storyline as well as the comedy would improve the series greatly. I still plan on finishing the show. Do not react like that just because it disagrees with your viewpoint, it only makes you look the fool.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I said "please." Sheesh.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Uh, you do realize that the two statements I've bolded contradict each other, right? Or to be super-explicit, if you "liked" the first episode, then there is absolutely no way you could have the "same feeling" about it that Key did.

And as for being more impressed with Sora no Otoshimano: Forte than TWGOK - look, [insults removed]

I just thought you would jump at me if I said out right that I didn't like it, I thought I would at least mention some parts I liked.

And excuse me that I actually like Sora no Otoshimono, and you have no right to say that I have bad tastes for likeing it, beyond it's creepy pervertness it has charm, and I would say it has had the best op so far this season.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
*coughcough*StarDriver'sOPwasawesoeme*cough*

I think we should get back to the show talking now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
But just before we get back on track, I want to apologize to 12skippy21 and Dusky Predator for my remarks. In my mind, they were meant to be over-the-top comments that were tongue-in-cheek, but I can understand their inflammatory nature. I recently lectured Skylark on the evils of being unnecessarily provocative when expressing an opinion, so it behooves me to admit when I do the same thing and strive not to repeat it.

Having said that, anybody who has the TEMERITY to disagree with ANYTHING I believe SUCKS beyond anything that has sucked before. Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
Good stuff this show will bring, I am sure going to enjoy watching the rest of the series. The manga only continues to get better and better, so I have high hopes for this series.

Keima's expressions are downright hilarious in the manga, so I bet they will be even better with a anime adaptation. I can't wait until third episode, she is easily one of my favorites thus far in the series.

And with a second season already confirmed for 2011, I won't have to wonder what to watch for quite some time now.
TiffYG2133

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
I have actually never read this manga but I was looking forward to the anime & I have to say it's better than I thought it would be...given I have only seen one episode! Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24