• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blu-ray thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I have a question about the JP GitS 2: Innocence BD. I was very disappointed to find out that the U.S. version decided not to encode any kind of lossless audio, whereas the JP version has lossless 6.1. And in looking up some info, I notice the JP BD also has English subs, but very little in terms of extra features. At some point, I would consider importing this, but only if the subs were good. Do you have any idea on their quality?

Also, I rented Sword of the Stranger from Netflix a while back and was absolutely blown away by the A/V quality (as well as the movie itself). Unfortunately, it looks like the disc is either in low stock everywhere or may be even going out of print. Would anyone know where I could find a Like New or better copy for around twenty-ish dollars?

I personally have never seen the GitS 2 BD import, but I'd assume they would be the same (fixed set of) subtitles the DVD had. The audio is supposed to be quite a treat.

Check eBay and Amazon daily for Sword of the Stranger. Sometimes people pop them up there for cheap. You might be able to find it for lower than $20.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Actually, since discovering SotS is going out of print, I've only seen prices go up. eBay has it for $24+ and Amazon doesn't have it below $29.99 new or used, and that doesn't even include shipping. I'll just have wait for DD's sale, Right Stuf, or possibly BestBuy.com if they manage to make some kind of pricing glitch on the website.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
DD has it for 27.something + free shipping. It's in stock too. I'd go for that. Don't wait because it might disappear. Any Blu-ray through Bandai like's to pull the disappearing act.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'll take my chances waiting for DD's coupon. It would save me 6 or 7 bucks. Worst case scenario, I could always try Right Stuf during a Bandai sale, as I have confidence that they'd be able to acquire it better than most other e-tailers.

EDIT: Speak of the devil, Deep Discount just started their Fall Sale, and I was able to nab SotS for $21.75. Should be here within a week or so. I look forward to another viewing with my new speakers Anime catgrin.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
For anyone interested, Amazon is currently selling Parts 1 and 2 of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for $19.99 each.

Part 1
Part 2
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey Tony if you still have access to a Hastings, I highly suggest you at least check it out. I had one nearby (before they lost the lease & closed down) and it was great for renting anime (they even had more recent stuff). It also had a pretty decent selection of new & used stuff as well. Some of it is rather hard to find in other stores (like Best Buy for example). They had pretty good prices as well.
They said (when they were closing) that some of the stuff was shipped to another location (or probably more than 1 location) so who knows, you might find something I sold to them (they also buy used stuff and either give you $ or store credit (the credit is always better than the $ offer)).

Personally I have yet to bother with the Blu-Ray thing. I kind of think that it is not really needed for my viewing pleasures.

I have a hard enough time (currently) just getting the anime on DVD (due to lack of $).
wormraper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Hey Tony if you still have access to a Hastings, I highly suggest you at least check it out. I had one nearby (before they lost the lease & closed down) and it was great for renting anime (they even had more recent stuff). It also had a pretty decent selection of new & used stuff as well. Some of it is rather hard to find in other stores (like Best Buy for example). They had pretty good prices as well.
They said (when they were closing) that some of the stuff was shipped to another location (or probably more than 1 location) so who knows, you might find something I sold to them (they also buy used stuff and either give you $ or store credit (the credit is always better than the $ offer)).

Personally I have yet to bother with the Blu-Ray thing. I kind of think that it is not really needed for my viewing pleasures.

I have a hard enough time (currently) just getting the anime on DVD (due to lack of $).

lol, that's what we all said before we fell to the dark side (1400 blu rays later)
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
Tony K - thanks for the heads up on Brotherhood... I may have to break open the wallet again Anime dazed.

Does anyone have any kind of list of DVDs that are superior to the Blurays in video quality? I've heard mixed things about Ouran High School Host Club and Claymore on bluray, even though I just ordered them both on bluray.
wormraper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Tony K - thanks for the heads up on Brotherhood... I may have to break open the wallet again Anime dazed.

Does anyone have any kind of list of DVDs that are superior to the Blurays in video quality? I've heard mixed things about Ouran High School Host Club and Claymore on bluray, even though I just ordered them both on bluray.

none. There is NONE that looks worse than dvd. even Samurai Champloo is a hair better than the DVDs. Ouran actually looks very solid. one of Funis BEST upscale jobs.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
For anyone interested, Amazon is currently selling Parts 1 and 2 of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for $19.99 each.

Part 1
Part 2

Thanks! I needed that part one cheap after some assf*ck zehpyrblurb scammed me on eBay. Finally got my refund so I will pick that up.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Amazon also has the first two Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-ray sets on sale for 19.99! Good deal!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
There's currently a sale on Amazon for a bunch of anime on BD, of which most are FUNimation titles.

Here is the link for an overview of the titles on sale.

And these are direct links to the Amazon page in alphabetical order:

Afro Samurai: Resurrection $12.99
Casshern Sins $21.99 each (Part 1 / Part 2)
Claymore $28.49
Dragon Ball Z: Movie 7 & 9 Double Feature $16.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai $22.99 each (Part 1 / Part 2)
Eden of the East $24.49
Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone $14.99
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete $8.99 (Amazon) / $7.99 (Best Buy)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa $11.99
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood $22.99 each (Part 1 / Part 2)
Full Metal Panic! $17.49-$17.99 each (FMP! / FUMOFFU! / TSR)
Gunslinger Girl $18.99
Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino $20.99
Heroic Age $23.99
Paprika $14.49
Rin-Daughters of Mnemosyne $24.49
Samurai 7 $20.99
Samurai Champloo $31.99
Sengoku Basara $24.99
Slayers $24.49 each (Revolution / Evolution-R)
Summer Wars $22.99
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE: Collected Memories $29.99
Witchblade $22.99
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Picked up the Gunslinger Girl BD sets thanks for the info.

Selling my DVD sets on Ebay
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I'd be all over these sales but I have $700 tied up in FUNi/Aniplex preorders through February. The good thing is that these shows will always be around. Some of the newly announced LE's may not.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I would like to get some of those Blu-rays, but money's in the red and I got two bills due at the end of the week, so I will pass this time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31