• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator Site Hosts Removed Scans Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
trolling ANN just because you saw it somewhere else first does nothing but show you as an ass, so just stop

Agreed.

But anyway, I'm hoping the manga companies can sort this mess out and get their content taken down from this site. I think fans of manga owe it to the authors/publishers to support legitimate releases.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
I didn't know these sites were so organized. This an entire company with a multisite network that's solely dedicated to pirating anime/manga.

Otaku Teahouse wrote:
I'm surprised the scanlators aren't pissed at sites like this, cause they're making money off of their translation work as much as they are making money off of the pirated work. Sites like this are just scum who make money off of everyone else without doing any work themselves.

Torrenting scans from scanlation groups is one kind of wrong, but sites like these are far worse than that.

It always makes me chuckle to think of a scanlator or fansubber getting upset and talking about how it's bad to take content that someone else has made and distribute it as you see fit without the permission of the original creators.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It always makes me chuckle to think of a scanlator or fansubber getting upset and talking about how it's bad to take content that someone else has made and distribute it as you see fit without the permission of the original creators.

Couldn't agree more. Can they be more hypocritical? It wasn't their property to alter in the first place, let alone to get upset if someone takes their translations and posts them elsewhere.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Wow, Mangafox just got free advertising. Thanks ANN! :D

Well it IS a site about news for anime and manga. So they kinda HAVE to put up news like that.

I guess longcat being long would be news on a website about cats using this sort of logic. :D

You're either an idiot, or a troll. Pfft, who am I kidding? Trolls are idiots, so you're both.

MangaFox doesn't know when to give up, do they? Now to wait for the lawsuits. 8-)
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
MangaFox doesn't know when to give up, do they? Now to wait for the lawsuits. Cool

yeah? If they are actually based in China, good luck with that. Although, it's a gamble on mangafox, becasue in China they don't always just shut down things like this. Sometimes they are government run... and other times a perp just disappears if needs be. I'd be curious what their ad revenue was like, and where it was going.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
It doesn't make any sense to me. Doesn't seem very smart, either.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Now they're just giving the finger to the licensees. I hope they get sued into oblivion.

Quote:
Wow, Mangafox just got free advertising. Thanks ANN!

I've noticed that whenever there's a news article about pirates being dicks, at least one person seems to feel the need to criticize someone else in what I can only interpret as a self-defence mechanism.
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
If North American and European comics don't end up widely on the internet in other languages, why should manga? Does this mean there's some sort of prejudice against Japanese comic artists imlying that they don't get to profit off their work when comic artists from other parts of the world do?

Why don't these scanners try making their own comics and THEN decide if they want to put them online after spending all that time on it?

Last edited by Crystal on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Well gee, the Senkaku...no, Diaoyu....wait, Liancourt....no, thats disputed by South Korea....erm, Pinnacle Islands sure had it's benefits, huh? Guess this is a way the Chinese can stick it to the Japanese without violent protests.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Can they be more hypocritical? It wasn't their property to alter in the first place, let alone to get upset if someone takes their translations and posts them elsewhere.

To be fair, there are plenty of scanlators who see scanlating their favourite unlicensed manga series as a kind of hobby. They stick to their own sites/IRC channels and remove titles that were licensed. I can understand why they would be bothered by sites such as Mangafox using their scanlations. 1. Mangafox is making profit using the work they did for fun. 2. While they will remove licensed titles, Mangafox won't.

Yes, what those scanlators are doing isn't legal, but they aren't out to damage the industry.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
I, for one, am shocked, SHOCKED, that a group of Chinese pirates has broken their word.
I mean, if you can't trust thieving pirates to tell the truth, who can you trust?
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
LoL mangafox is fronted by a company based out of China? That's a wrap, better just get used to it now.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
Actually, their servers appears to be in the US, along with some of their staff. I'm hoping VIZ&Co. have someone on this in their legal team. These things can take time to take on properly- HTMLComics took a full year to take down, but it resulted in the FBI going in and arresting that site's owner, confiscating all it's servers and shutting things down entirely. I'm sure the japanese pubs will take notice too. Glad ANN posted it, as it should help boost the awareness of the issue, make MangaFox look bad (something they put new rules in to combat on their forums, but ANN's not their forums now is it?), and keep publishers focused on the issue.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I, for one, am shocked, SHOCKED, that a group of Chinese pirates has broken their word.
I mean, if you can't trust thieving pirates to tell the truth, who can you trust?

I know right! Honestly, these titles were back up 24 hours after they pulled them with all the previous hooplah at this site....

Honestly, doesn't anyone else realize that the real trolls here are Mangafox and their like pulling stunts to gain more publicity for their "product".
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
How can anyone say that by posting this as news ANN is giving free advertising to Manga Fox? I am pretty sure anyone who is looking for scanlations would already be looking for them. All it takes is a quick search of "free manga" and you get a bunch of hits.

I guess I was sort of wrong about some new site being created to replace Manga Fox and One Manga. Manga Fox just did it themselves. It's unfortunate that they brought the titles back. I guess the drop in traffic wasn't worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8