• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Tabloid Links Dynasty Warriors With Sandy Hook Shooting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
Wait, were still not past that point where we blame media for peoples stupidity? Oh Tabloids, you so silly. Laughing

Seriously though, this is just sad. As said guy wasn't mentally all there. the blame goes solely on him *and to some lesser extent his family* not fictitious media.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Christ! I knew our tabloids were stupid as hell but not this stupid. Sorry America Embarassed
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
ZoboCamel wrote:
I think that, to an extent, these things are fixable - if the USA were to make guns illegal, there'd naturally be a resultant decrease in gun crimes. I do agree with you, however, when you say that people are desperately reaching to find a simple cause and fix it; specifically, it seems to me, many people are going on such tangents because they want to blame something apart from guns.
How are guns to blame for this? They're hunks of metal, not Satan incarnate. A gun ban that succeeded in reducing gun crime would only increase nongun crime to compensate because you haven't addresses the issues causing the violence. Britain's managed to find itself in the position of tighter gun restrictions(up to the modern day near-total ban) being concomitant with increased gun violence, so even changing the weapons isn't guaranteed. I like this quote about it:
Colin Greenwood wrote:
No matter how one approaches the figures, one is forced to the rather startling conclusion that the use of firearms in crime was very much less when there were no controls of any sort and when anyone, convicted criminal or lunatic, could buy any type of firearm without restriction.
Some 90% of murderers are violence-prone individuals; they're not going to turn into normal people just because you remove one means of hurting others.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I still believe that we have no concrete info on whether he even played video games. These reports either cite no source and make stuff up, or the news reporter "heard from a classmate/friend/babysitter" of the games he played. Until I hear from the police what was inside the home, I can't trust this vulture news culture of either wanting to be "first" to say so or just keep sprouting lies in the hopes that its true.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Now dumb useless tabloids that no one takes seriously with credibility being called into question, is now blaming a video game that is set in a COMPLETELY different time period like during the the Three Kingdoms era? How dumb can they go? The answer is a lot.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Christ! I knew our tabloids were stupid as hell but not this stupid. Sorry America Embarassed

Well this article is slightly even worse, so don't despair, we haven't hit the bottom of the barrel just yet.
eyeofthetiger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Really people? You didn't see this coming?
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
And what's sad about it is that its taking away from talking about the real issues, such as mental health that really needs improving in this country. Just sickens me that everyone is just doing everything in their power to blame this and that and not actually talking about the issues. And when the next sad tragedy happens, its goes in full circle again.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I would like to sincerely ask the editor(s) of ANN, if not the CEO himself, to respectfully remove the name of the shooter from the posted article.

This is a name which deserves no respect.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I read about this on Kotaku. So I guess the tabloid failed on how his mom is a gun fan, and fail to explain how video game is not the one behind the shooting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
is it me or do other nations like to make up the most idiotic bull shit about the US?

I must implore you not to identify the malpractices of a nation with those of its most wretched presses. Oversimplified, accusatory post hoc explanations are the lamentable wont of the Daily Express.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I can totally buy that Dynasty Warriors is so shitty that it rots your brain and makes you murderous.

Quote:
Dynasty Warriors is a series of tactical...

Lol, what?
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
also Seriously Dynasty Warriors a game set in a time period where the most advance projectile weapon is a bow an arrow or a crossbow how desperately stupid are these foreign tabloids to say some nonsensical BS like this to sell a scrap of paper that isn't even worth using as toilet paper
Yea, its like the tabloids were looking for just anything to blame so they put the names of random games on a dartboard and started throwin'. Next time they'll blame Mario Kart.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Wait, were still not past that point where we blame media for peoples stupidity? Oh Tabloids, you so silly. Laughing

Seriously though, this is just sad. As said guy wasn't mentally all there. the blame goes solely on him *and to some lesser extent his family* not fictitious media.
Its only a rumour yet as to whether he was 'all there' or not, and he's rumoured to have Asperger's Syndrome which isn't in fact associated with violence. Its funny how some people choose a new scapegoat when their own hobby is scapegoated.

Quote:
Following the tragic massacre of 20 young children and 7 educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown it has been said that the killer, Adam Lanza, was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

Connecticut's chief medical examiner, Dr. H. Wayne Carver has stated that Asperger's Syndrome is not associated with violent behavior, and that it is not considering it as a reason for Lanza's rampage on Friday.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-autism-advocate/201212/autism-and-violence
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This is easily, by far, the single dumbest connection of a real-life tragedy to video games that I have ever seen. Bar none.

I'm surprised Fox News didn't jump to this first. Confused

Fox news already attack video game as soon as Sandy Hook massacre happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3