• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wired Profiles New X-Men Comic's Similarities to Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Keonyn: Actually, I've been tweeting with one of the animators on Akira, and she said it's "beyond homage".

Oh, well, in that case that changes everything. Or wait, no, it doesn't, but thanks for sharing.

It may well be an homage, maybe more, I could care less and have never liked X-Men. Frankly though, the concept of mutation of that nature is hardly exclusive to either and I get annoyed with the degree people continue to imply ownership of a loose concept to particularly popular titles which used it. I mean, we get people who complain about the draconian nature of copyright laws, but here we get people trying to imply ownership of even basic ideas that isn't even original to either referenced source.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, well, in that case that changes everything. Or wait, no, it doesn't, but thanks for sharing.

I will agree with you on liking X-Men, though, as I'm an Alpha Flight/Silver Surfer man. And it's not the ideas in and of themselves that's at issue, but their presentation. That's why I also brought up Watsuki's lazy re-designs for RK. If you're an American comic book fan, then you know those didn't come out of thin air. Same deal here for manga fans.

P.S. Magneto also likes Akira. Wink
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Hmm.. Aside from this character and the Brood, I know there are a number of other riffs in X-men comics over the years.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/ShounenNinja/Raideen.jpg

anime#1990
Sorce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Just a question:
Quote:
Like the Wachwoski Brothers — who lifted from Akira at will for The Matrix — Generation Hope writer Kieron Gillen and artist Salva Espin don’t really seem interested in covering the tracks of their iconic influences.

What?!?!? Ghost in the Shell I believe, but Akira?? I've read that manga and watched that anime I don't know how many times, and I've never seen a parallel between it and The Matrix, the premises are so radically different. What am I missing that's so obvious??
Don't worry, The Matrix was more The Invisibles than Ghost in the Shell.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Keonyn: Actually, I've been tweeting with one of the animators on Akira, and she said it's "beyond homage".

How does it not?
DirtyHarrington

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
GATSU wrote:

How does it not?

Because handling some of the animation that makes up Akira doesn't make her Katsuhiro Otomo.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
DirtyHarrington wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
GATSU wrote:

How does it not?

Because handling some of the animation that makes up Akira doesn't make her Katsuhiro Otomo.

Yes, because film isn't a collaborative medium or anything.

(?)

For real, I'm always interested when I hear grunt workers, NOT personalities, but grunt workers call BS on other art.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
It's not like anime never cribbed some characters from the west...
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Two words for everyone-
Ruroni Kenshin

And for that matter Buso Renkin. Watanuki's a big X-men fan- his works have a ton of homages to the series [and his authors notes make it sound like he'd toss in more if he could].

Anyhoo re: the Lilandra pointing at giant robot panel- I think shortly afterwards [or at the time] Marvel was publishing a series based on the Shogun Warriors toyline, which featured that robot. So that would explain the nod.

There's also a scene where Kitty Pryde's putting up at StarBlazers poster up in her room in Dave Cockrum's run, from his 2nd X-men run [the above panel was from his first]. And an issue of Claremont/Alan Davis's Excalibur where while traveling through dimensions, the team arrives in an anime style world and teamup with a thinly vieled version of The Dirty Pair. http://www.comics.org/issue/85407/cover/4/?style=default Chris Wozniak drew it.

http://www.comics.org/issue/38230/cover/4/?style=default Though this Lando cover of Marvel's Star Wars tops everything in nerdiness.

I also loved Dagwood's cameo in Tezuka's Lost World.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2