• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Develops Live-Action Remake of Noir Action Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Now the only question is, who are Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi going to play, cause you know they won't be left out.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Out of curiosity, has there ever been a moment where an American production company hired a Japanese music composer?

I don't know if it counts, but the Silent Hill movie kept a lot of Akira Yamaoka's music for the movie.

As someone who's followed Raimi's other projects... I just can't see this working. Usually anything he touches keeps his sense of humor. Noir had a atmosphere which was extremely NOT Raimi, and well... after seeing him produce a book series I liked into a campy series that didn't even resemble the original material (Legend of the Seeker) I rather not see him go the same route with Noir.

Perhaps though I'll be pleasantly surprised.

If they give Lucy Lawless a role as a Les Soldats member, I'll watch it no matter how crappy it is.

Still.. STARZ, I rather have that live action Preacher series you guys abandoned/forgot about/are sitting on the rights to.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Out of curiosity, has there ever been a moment where an American production company hired a Japanese music composer?

If it's worth anything, Chris Nolan got a Boom Boom Satellites song done up for the club scene in The Dark Knight.
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I just can't see this one working... The anime barely worked for me beyond the first ep...
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
You know...of all the shows they could have picked to adapt, I was like, "Noir? Really?" Although a lot of my blame is directed squarely at Koichi Mashimo and Bee Train, who have perfected the art of slow-ass pacing without having meaning in that slowness to a science, Noir was still basically 13 episodes of story poured into a 26-episode vessel. It just...wasn't that interesting. There weren't any developed characters outside of the small main cast, and the main cast wasn't all that interesting in just their interactions with each other. Also, there was like...no men in the show, except when they needed someone to intercept a bullet shot by one of the classy dames.

It would be hard for a live-action remake to actually be a more sleep-inducing show than the anime was, so maybe they can take what's good about the concept and polish it up, but I'm not holding my breath.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
wow... this was unexpected. I wonder what made them adapt such an old series. I'm rooting for this to be good, as Noir is one of my favorite series... on the other hand, Starz has had a pretty lousy record with adaptations.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delpheno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite animes as a live action series? I am going to eye this project like a SHARK. Very Happy
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I would like them to keep the implied lesbianism! Laughing

Ah yes and the implied Lesbianism Laughing

Well, Raimi and Tapert have experience with implied lesbianism in
Xena, so I think we're good. Wink
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
wow this is gonna fail...he hasn't made a good adaption in years
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
This could be good. I enjoyed Spartacus. If this show keeps the tone of that series (none of your typical Sam Raimi goofball stuff other than gore, which I don't think Noir really has) this could be pretty good.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I would be more happy if I knew how long their definition of "movie" is: 2-3 hours? With commercials?
I'd see no problem whatsoever pulling off a remake of a 12-or-13 episode action anime with that kind of time. But something more mystery-centered and heavily character driven, that took 26 episodes?
Granted, cutting back on the number of times Mireille's flashback is used helps, but that only goes so far.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Just want to point out that the word "movie" isn't in the news article at all (though I admittedly didn't check the source provided).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Sigh not again there just going to fudge it up
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I can't believe it! I remember watching Noir years ago and thinking it would make a great live action show. Who knew it could become a reality! Now, if only my wish for a live action Hellsing would come true! Very Happy * crosses fingers*
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Huh? An American remake of a foreign concept centered around two rogue femme fatales battling a mysterious organization? Why is this ringing a bell...?

Oh, right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_(TV_series)

Last edited by Big Hed on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5