• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima's Akamatsu Plans Free Site for Out-of-Print Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
:O in the words of the Hinakin commercials, "BRILLIANT!"

Though why are we still talking about translations? This should help STOP the problem, not continue it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
This could be the beginning of something great. I'll definitely be reading some Love Hina over the weekend on that site, and I'll tell all my friends to visit to kick up the visitor count.

As for the translations, perhaps those of us that know enough Japanese should drop some emails in the contact section of the website suggesting translated versions be posted. It really depends on how much revenue they can scrounge up with the ads -- there may not be enough funding to hire a translator, unless he/she wanted to translate for free.

Here's hoping this venture will turn out awesome and that no idiots will ruin it for the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Not Guinness?

But, yeah, sounds like another step in the right direction.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Though why are we still talking about translations? This should help STOP the problem, not continue it.

Because most people here aren't Japanese and don't read Japanese kanji therefore this will probably not help people who need translations since these will be raw, thus there will still be a demand for piracy and fan translations.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This is an incredibly awesome idea, and it's something that I'd love to see happen (though I'm not exactly holding out hope) across all sorts of entertainment media. GoodOldGames is providing a similar service (albeit cheap, not entirely free) in the gaming industry, but there isn't that much else out there. I hate the fact that rights holders are able to sit on content for decades without attempting to make a dime of profit off of it...if you're not going to monetize it or do anything else with it, put it out there for people to be able to access.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, if this were to happen to the western manga world, it would stop fan translations immediately, but now you have such an easy way to just get a full manga and redistribute with ease. So it's only going to facilitate getting manga for free without having paid anything at all, since the online ads and what not will have been bypassed.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Because most people here aren't Japanese and don't read Japanese kanji therefore this will probably not help people who need translations since these will be raw, thus there will still be a demand for piracy and fan translations.
Yes, but it will no longer be necessary to pirate the original in order to produce a fan translation. The pdf files are DRM-free, so a fan sub overlay generator could be written to produce a page by page overlay file: transparent where the original art is to be seen, in black and white for the English (or other language) lettering and text bubbles/boxes.

Then a viewer that can overlay one pdf on another (with transparancies), and the fan translator would only need to distribute the translation, without the original art or text. And again, that viewer does not have to be from the source of the manga, since it doesn't have to track the original DRM.

Take it one more step ~ if they allowed the fan translation to be contributed back, they could have an international section where fan contributed overlays were distributed alongside the pdfs of the originals, and then (with the write legal mumbo jumbo in the terms and conditions), there'd be no copyright piracy at all.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
This is great news for reading series that are out of print and is pretty nice gesture from Ken Akamatsu to the fans.

I bought both series listed in the article, Love Hina and Abenobashi, but Love Hina was the first manga I ever read.

Great news though.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Stop taking baby steps and run damnit!! English Translations!!
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
You really can't even hope for an English translation of stuff out of print in Japan but in print in America, or out of print in America but has copyright holders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Right, if they did offer a English translation (Love Hina for example), they would have to do it themselves since Tokyopop has the rights to the English version or script. Although Kodansha may have aquired those rights as well when TP lost their rights.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
*Edit* Oops double post. Mod please delete.

Last edited by Ergzay on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Ergzay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
I can't describe how unbelievably awesome this is. For anyone reading this, even if you are not interested in the japanese raw, I HIGHLY encourage you to download it anyway. The more people we can get to download this the more revenues they will get and the more chance we will have for this to continue. This is the way it always should have been done.

If people can't figure out how to download because of the japanese, please send me a PM and I'll direct you or write a guide on how to download.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
Kenji_Ikari wrote:
You really can't even hope for an English translation of stuff out of print in Japan but in print in America, or out of print in America but has copyright holders.
Rights to localizations often revert to the original content owner: it all depends upon the specific terms of the specific contracts.

And the original rights holders can still accept contributions of new translations even if the copyright on the derivative work of the localization is retained by the international distributor, so long as the exclusive distribution period has passed ...which it will have for works that are also OOP overseas.

Indeed, if they wanted to not get involved in the localization at all, they could license an overseas site (under license terms that include a strict no upload of original manga art policy) to perform localizations, under revenue sharing terms, and the overseas site would point back to the original source of the art and serve just the overlays themselves.

Once there is a standard DRM-free format for the original manga, and someone comes up with a compatible DRM-free format for localization overlays, the quality of the reader software for reading the manga is no longer a "one size fits all" choice to be made by the publisher, but becomes a competition between free standing reader apps.

Edit: I should stress that an overlay PDF does not require a special reader app: PDF supports external images, so with the DRM-free PDF of the original available, the overlay writer app would include a the original page as an external image, and have the text bubble or block as a separate transparency group. For laptops/desktops with big enough screen for a two-up PDF display, a standard PDF original work and a PDF of the overlay translation in the same directory are all that you would need.

Specialized reader apps would involve zoom and scan sensitive to page geometry and text bubble sequence, for smaller display devices. I've tried the eManga Flash online reader, and its quite workable to read manga on a screen that cannot show a full page onscreen ... but sadly its the only online reader I've found that works that well, and its not yaoi manga that I want to read online.

Also note that a pdf file with lossless images as a download also means an ability to drive the highest quality Print on Demand systems available, allowing Always-In-Print editions after print runs go Out Of Print. Manga has an inside edge over comics on the "digital and Print on Demand" combination, since B&W with color covers is going to be ready for prime time at a reasonable price point before color.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Mr Akamatsu. Once the site is open, i will download your manga as a sign of my support.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3