• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Sounds cool, but as I am already downloading so much, I am gonna have to wait for this to be licesnd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:57 am Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
Sounds cool, but as I am already downloading so much, I am gonna have to wait for this to be licesnd.

Lookit you being all responsible and stuff! Nicely done, man.

Now then, from the OP sequence, I'm guessing that they're going to wind up in the USA at some point (most likely Reno/Las Vegas). How do you think that's going to play out? And do you think this would make a kick-butt live action show or would it turn out like S Club 7?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BakaNekoDain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Now then, from the OP sequence, I'm guessing that they're going to wind up in the USA at some point (most likely Reno/Las Vegas). How do you think that's going to play out? And do you think this would make a kick-butt live action show or would it turn out like S Club 7?

Heh wouldn't that be nuts, I would really think that its too soon to really guess whats going to happen, but yeah given the intro you can only assume that at some point the chars end up in the states.

It does sort of make you wonder why the end up there though, but it did mention how Ryuusuke's former band went on to the states... and it does seem that there is some bad blood between him and his former band. So perhaps it'll have something to do with that, but I guess it really is just too soon to tell. Not enough story to go on yet Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Beck is the best series of 2004! I really hope the 20+ volumes of the manga comes out here soon. But I am wondering if the anime is going to be 26 or more? I was disapointed in one scene where they try to figure out the name of the Band. In the manga they show Beck (two turn tables and a microphone) and Jim (I think) Beck (a famous guitarist) in the background.

Will be interesting to see the next episode since there will be a Kurt Cobain reference (hopefully not edited out)>
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote
So far I'm up to ep 5 and really enjoying it.

The English is ... still a bit off, but much better than past attempts. A far cry from the "good old days" (ie Kimagure Orange Road OAV "Hawaiian Suspense")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ganzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Are you kidding me, I'm keeping up with it only because I liked the first two episodes, god, the rest just bored me to death. Its a good production, but do put some more to the story, I mean, I do like those witty talk, but where the story is going does not interest me no more.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
Since the manga is now licened by tokyopop, now I wonder how many are after the animation rights (besides Funimation)?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching this series the other day and am SO delighted I had the chance to view it.

I gave it a Masterpiece rating and love the show a lot. For those of you who may be interested, it's basically a show about a young middle school guy in Japan who becomes intersted in (rock) music, eventually joins a band, and the show is the band's story from the bottom to the near top of the music industry.

The characters are a joy to be around and they really grew on me. It's a "slice of life" drama/comedy and though I'm not sure if this is an accurate portrayl of what rock bands really have to go through, I feel it was a very convincing and feel good story, which doesn't leave you hanging and is well paced for the entire length of the series, in my opinion.

However, what I think really contributes so well to the show is the music. It's an excellent array of punk and light rock, but the way it's incorporated is what made the show so likeable. I've got so many of the songs stuck in my head now, I might even buy the OSTs pretty soon Anime catgrin.

And one more intersting thing I'd like to point out is the unique use of language. For a Japanese produced show, they use quite a bit of English (not bad Engrish, like most other shows). It carries over a lot of international.. uh, appeal? I'm not sure what word to use, but it feels a lot more diverse than your typical "Japanese only" anime titles.

I hope this gets licensed someday, though judging at how difficult the dub might be with the actual English-Japanese talk being so important to the story, it might not even make it here as breifly discussed in this thread.

Any other comments or opinions would be much appreciated as well. Thank you Smile.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The only U.S. company I could see taking a chance on it would be FUNi.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Freakin awesome series! It's my favorite series next to Monster. The OST is just plain amazing, I just burned it today and my brother and I were jamming out to it in his car. The whole story was just incredible and the characters are great, my favorite being Chiba. I can't wait for the manga to come out july 16th from tokyopop, that should be a good addition to my collection.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I like that Tokyo Pop hired the guy that did the Beck Fansubs to do the Manga translations. Smart move.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I like that Tokyo Pop hired the guy that did the Beck Fansubs to do the Manga translations. Smart move.

Seriously Shocked? That's so cool. I didn't know fansubbers could get recognition like that. He did a darn good job for the series too. How is the manga anyway? I don't read very many, but I am really digging BECK right now, so maybe I'll have to buy this one...
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
Great series...one of the best that i've seen in quite some time. I also love the characters, in particular Koyuki and Sako. Those two made such great friends, and complimented each others personality so well. I would love to see Beck licensed and brough over here. I also give it a masterpiece rating...that's two in one week. First Beck, and then Saikano Wink .

~LoneWolf
Ashton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
How is the manga anyway? I don't read very many, but I am really digging BECK right now, so maybe I'll have to buy this one...

If you liked the anime then you should definitely buy the manga too. I read the Beck manga before I saw the anime and therefore the anime was maybe a little dissappoitment. In manga everytime Beck played the audience was totally amazed and suprised, like they had never heard anything quite like Beck before. In anime the music was not all -that- good(but I quess that is understandable) and I didn't like the ending very much. I think I'd give it an excellent rating. Anime ends around vol.11 and vol.22 comes out tomorrow in Japan I think. And I might add that the manga gets even more interesting after the 11:th volume where the anime ends...
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ashton wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
How is the manga anyway? I don't read very many, but I am really digging BECK right now, so maybe I'll have to buy this one...

If you liked the anime then you should definitely buy the manga too. I read the Beck manga before I saw the anime and therefore the anime was maybe a little dissappoitment. In manga everytime Beck played the audience was totally amazed and suprised, like they had never heard anything quite like Beck before. In anime the music was not all -that- good(but I quess that is understandable) and I didn't like the ending very much. I think I'd give it an excellent rating. Anime ends around vol.11 and vol.22 comes out tomorrow in Japan I think. And I might add that the manga gets even more interesting after the 11:th volume where the anime ends...

So the talks of a second season of Beck may be true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10