• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime In Three Dimensions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Getting back to the sixties, this decade would also yield an adorably clunky adaptation of Gigantor/Tetsujin 28 before giving way to Johnny Sokko and his Giant Robot, based on Mitsuteru Yokoyama's followup to Gigantor, Giant Robo. These are low-budget affairs for kids, so it's not really fair to expect too much from them - in particular, I like the creative name that the Johnny Sokko dubbing crew came up with for Giant Robo himself ("Giant Robot").

Thanks Mike. That takes me back.

I can even remember the show that I saw Johnny Sokko and Star Blazers on (back in the late 70s): Captain Cosmic and Wonder Robot 2T2.

Forgive my potentially fuzzy memories, but I never had an issue with the naming logic in Johnny Sokko, since the way the kid imprinted to the robot was a rather impulsive event; he just wanted to see it move (as in 'hey Robot--Move Around!'), rather than an 'I am your Master now, and I dub thee...uh...Bob' moment.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Great article Mike, as always.

I'd actually like to see you do an expanded version since you flew through the 2000's pretty quickly. And while I realize you were mostly focusing on movies, some more indepth examination of tv adaptations is warranted too imo. Of course, this would need to include things like the Sailor Moon and You're Under Arrest tv adaptations Smile Both are simultaneously awful and great in their own ways.

Oh and then theres Stealth - the unofficial Macross Plus movie Wink

The Japanese DVD of the Fist of the North Star live action movie actually includes a COMPLETE dub by the original cast. This makes the movie SO much better its almost difficult to put into words (then again, this is coming from someone who went so far as to attend Raoh's funeral ^^; )

Also, the Starblazers movie was pretty darn great (needed a few more exterior shots of the titular ship, but I have my fingers crossed for a directors cut), but there wont be a sequel. And no I'm not using spoiler tags since its common knowledge that the film combines parts of Yamato 1 AND 2.....
Yotsuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Great article!!

Here is some manga adaptations i like (and not mentioned in the article)
Uzumaki from Junji Ito manga
Dragonhead from Minetaro Mochizuki manga
Honey and Clover from Chica Umino manga
Touch from Mitsuru Adachi manga

Not bad, but a little bit difficult to see for me
Saikano from Shin Takahashi manga
Blue Spring from Taiyo Matsumoto manga

I don't say this movies are bad .... but ..... (well, the POT is BAD)
Prince of Tennis from Takeshi Konomi manga
Lovely Complex from Aya Nakahara manga
Rough from Mitsuru Adachi manga
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
So if you find yourself panicking at the thought of an over-the-hill Keanu Reeves playing Spike Spiegel or Leonardo DiCaprio using his star power to create an Akira movie that takes place in New York and stars Justin Bieber as Tetsuo, don't fret just yet - until there's a budget, director, cast, and shooting schedule, these exciting proposals are just that - proposals.

Hopefully with a budget, 'cus we don't need another DB:E.

At one point, there was a complete, polished script for Cowboy Bebop and the studio execs shot it down because it would've been too expensive to produce. So, yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
skchai1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the article a lot . . .

I assume that Mike didn't include some of the biggest ones because his main focus was on anime -> movie adaptations, though he did mention some that were taken directly from manga or were TV series (although movies sometimes later). Also, it wasn't advertised as a comprehensive review of all major adaptations. . .

Nonetheless, while we're on the topic, some deserve mentioning on this thread if only for their prominence or notoriety. Other than what's already been listed. . .

Koike Kazuo's Kozure Oukami (Lone Wolf and Cub) is not only one of the great manga series, but spun off one of the most popular series of live-action movies ever in Japan, starring Wakayama Tomisaburo.

Park Chan-wook's Oldboy, the live-action movie that won the 2004 Cannes Grand Prix, is based on on Tsuchiya Garon and Minegishi Nobuaki's manga of the same name.

The first live-action adaptation of Hana Yori Dango was done in Taiwan, where it was called Liúxīng Huāyuán (Meteor Garden). It was the most popular TV drama of the 2000s, as well as launching the career of Taiwan's most popular boy band (who kept the name F4). It's arguably the huge success of Meteor Garden that led to the later Korean and Japanese live-action adaptations.

Although the Japanese live-action TV adaptation of Itazura na Kiss predated the Taiwanese and Korean ones (the Korean one just ran this year), it was the Taiwanese one that was by far the most popular, generating two sequels.

The 1989 live action TV adaptation of Urasawa Naoki's manga Yawara! (according to a recent popularity poll by Big Comic Spirits, it beats out 20th Century Boys, Monster, and Master Keaton as his most popular title ever) was actually pretty decent. It predated the anime version by a few months, and starred idol Asaka Yui, who also played the third-generation Asamiya Saki in the live-action Sukeban Deka adaptations.

In popularity and certainly longevity, Kamen Rider exceeds anything else mentioned in this threads. However, the manga and live-action tokusatsu appeared at the same time, so it's not clear which adapted which. Ishinomori Shotarou generally planned things that way for his subsequent projects (Jinzou Ningen Kikaider, proto-Super Sentai series Goranger, etc.), as well. Speaking of Ishinomori, strange that his first and arguably greatest manga, Cyborg 009, hasn't had a live-action adaptation. . .
skchai1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote
Also, once you get into the 2000s, so many top-10 box office movies in Japan have been been manga adaptations that it would be impossible to list them all . . . some of the biggest not mentioned yet on this thread I don't think:

Umizaru + sequels
Rookies + sequel
Crows + sequel
Bayside Shakedown + sequels
Nana
Hana Yori Dango movie + sequel
Gokusen movie
Kaiji
Beck
Tsuribaka Nisshi + million sequels
I don't know if Kamen Rider movies count . . .
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
FYI, Fathom Events just informed me via Twitter that they're screening GANTZ on 1/20. Locations and ticket sales date TBD, obviously.

Loving the feedback - I realize that the genre is really broad and I missed a lot of stuff, which is why I solicited feedback in my closing statement. This will make excellent ammo for MORE MIKE TALKING ABOUT LIVE-ACTION ANIME STUFF column, coming next year! :D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Pippin4242 wrote:
Lady Oscar was rather forgettable. It was such a shame. Apparently one of the main sponsors was a cosmetics company, which is one of the reasons that they have such a feminine Oscar.

The Lady Oscar movie is gorgeous to look at, but totally misses the point of Ikeda's manga, which was to present a more balanced and favorable view of Marie Antoinette than the "Let them eat cake stereotype. The actress playing Oscar was decent enough, but a petite, busty redhead as Oscar simply doesn't work.

Also:
Eko Eko Azarak (3 movies, released by Media Blasters)
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I personally liked the US Speed Racer movie. Yes, it wasn't the greatest film ever made, but it was highly entertaining and it didn't take itself too seriously which was part of it's goofy charm. And I have to admit - if real life car racing were like that, I'd be a Nascar fan in a heartbeat. Anime hyper

While I haven't seen too many live-action anime films, one of my least favorite had to be G-Saviour. The acting in that was some of the worst I ever seen. The only good acting I saw in it was from the lady who also voiced Lady Une in Gundam Wing. And their budget had to be rather poor, because the CGI was really horrid - even for that day and age!

The Death Note movies have been my favorite live action anime movies so far.. well, the first and second ones at least. I haven't picked up any of the spin-offs yet. Anime hyper

I do hope Yamato comes over here, as well as the upcoming Captain Harlock. Both look to be really interesting and I'd love to see them!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Salsaman1991 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
So if you find yourself panicking at the thought of an over-the-hill Keanu Reeves playing Spike Spiegel or Leonardo DiCaprio using his star power to create an Akira movie that takes place in New York and stars Justin Bieber as Tetsuo, don't fret just yet - until there's a budget, director, cast, and shooting schedule, these exciting proposals are just that - proposals.

Hopefully with a budget, 'cus we don't need another DB:E.

At one point, there was a complete, polished script for Cowboy Bebop and the studio execs shot it down because it would've been too expensive to produce. So, yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

That's not surprising, since it was Fox who auctioned the rights for Cowboy Bebop and they gave DB:E $30 million. That's kind of a slap in the face for the most popular anime and manga franchise the world has known.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I really like the Honey and Clover live action. I thought they did a very good job with casting and portraying some rather unusual characters. I've watched it several times. Two more for the list:

I think the live action Akihabara@DEEP pretty much fails in the casting of its unusual characters and simply doesn't have the budget to deal with that kind of science fiction story. I found it rather bizarre and confusing.

The Last Quarter live action was a pretty good treatment, but would in my opinion have been much better if HYDE had not been cast in a major role.
poweranime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of suprised there was no mention of the influence of Ghost In The Shell on the mega hit Matrix. To me, this was when studios started saying 'hey... there's some money in this.. this... an-ime thing'. True, its not a direct adaptation, but neither are most other US anime ports. Even though its never directly said, I'd say many memorable atmosphere aspects were direct takes (green veritical type, Trinity, head-plugs, bullet shredding columns, 'Batou' glasses on Morpheus). It's probably a major reason W. bros. are sourced for any serious adaptations and why Keanu is getting into the frey.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Making a live actor movie out of an animation doesn't really work for me. There are some things that are better expressed with fictional characters in a drawn world than with real people acting on screen. Besides, these days, everybody just plain makes fun of emotions because they mock how people's faces look when they cry, act surprised or anything. I wonder how that Yogi Bear movie will do (I actually have a good feeling about that one, surprising to say).

Quote:
Leonardo DiCaprio using his star power to create an Akira movie that takes place in New York and stars Justin Bieber as Tetsuo, don't fret just yet - until there's a budget, director, cast, and shooting schedule, these exciting proposals are just that - proposals.

Please don't make me throw up Mike, I just had breakfast.
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
...Anybody for the Fruits Basket live action adaptation?

I don't know what to make of it. Warriorhope from the Bad Romance blog was speculating, along with almost everyone who commented on the post, that they're gonna pull a Twilight-type love triangle on it (when you think about it, it'd be pretty easy; Kyo walks around shirtless several times, and Yuki effectively uses his bishie sparkles to remedy most situations). But we all know that a time limit is NOT the way to go with a story like this.

I've decided that they have to cast me if they want to live past opening day~

And I thought I heard once that they almost made an epic fail American TV adaptation of Sailor Moon. I think somebody links to it in the blog post...xD The clip linked was hilarious. Sailor Moon in a scrunchie FTW.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the GTO live action stuff, and I found it entertaining, but some of the technical qualities seemed lacking. There was just something about the lighting that seemed off the whole time. Not up to Hollywood standards (and I understand that it was a TV show, but still). Then there was the the whole thing about the "oh well, boys will be boys" attitude that Fuyutsuki took toward Teshigawara when spoiler[he drugged her and then TRIED TO RAPE HER!] Seriously, Japan?

I'm looking forward to the Yamato movie and the Ashita no Joe movie too. I've seen the former, but only the first dozen or so of the latter. I haven't been able to find a complete fansub of Joe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3