• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Rio – Rainbow Gate! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Quote:
Genres: comedy
Themes: ecchi

*sigh*

Wait a minute, now. I remember you recommending SnOF to me! Which I did, on balance, quite like.

Hey, if the comedy actually makes me laugh like SnO does, I'll sit through it.

And at last SnO has

Quote:
Genres: comedy, fantasy, romance
Themes: ecchi, school

Three more entries!
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Well, you never know; that might not be its whole focus. But yeah, odds are (see what I did there?) there will be a young tsundere dealer who learns to open up thanks to Rio's pure spirit.
Ooh, ooh, she is the senpai to two apprentice dealers, one a young man who thinks he knows everything but still learned the lessons that Rio teaches thanks to her pure spirit, and a young woman who has a serious case of hero worship ...

... so that (just like Sora no Woto), the yuri channels make it a yuri series without the script writers having to lift a finger in terms of writing any yuri into the plot.

I'm so thrilled to see signs that anime is branching out from just the sad business of pandering to the fetishes of anime otaku into the sad business of pandering to the obsessions of gambling addicts.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Wasn't this show the least-anticipated Winter anime from the poll ANN just did? Not to say that this will be a bad show, but it is a bit odd to see this get a simulcast. Oh well, I guess seeing this get simulcasted can only give me hope for the Spring season...

Did you just compare ANN's anticipation to CR's anticipation? You do realize that any anime, and any episode (even recaps) hardly get a rating lower than 4 stars out of 5 at CR, don't you?

Like I said somewhere else. Picking the bottom 8 from ANN's list rather than the top 4 would be far more lucrative for them. Which is why they hardly get any big shows unless it's from their investor.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Did you just compare ANN's anticipation to CR's anticipation? You do realize that any anime, and any episode (even recaps) hardly get a rating lower than 4 stars out of 5 at CR, don't you?

Actually, recaps do tend to get mainly 3 star ratings most of the time less.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Like I said somewhere else. Picking the bottom 8 from ANN's list rather than the top 4 would be far more lucrative for them. Which is why they hardly get any big shows unless it's from their investor.
But they would prefer to "pick" all 12. Indeed, given fair license terms all around, more lucrative than either the top four or the bottom eight would be half of the top four and half of the bottom eight.

Why would we assume that they do not express an interest in any teen or older anime going to broadcast? In that case, looking for a "selection" strategy on the Crunchyroll side is looking for a pattern that isn't there ~ their simulcast season would be driven by which production committees want to agree to streaming on Crunchyroll at a royalty rate that Crunchyroll can afford.

Last edited by agila61 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
For the fact that Naruto had recaps for the past 2-3 months (I assume, because I haven't seen past the first 2 recaps), and they all got 3.5 or 4 stars. Still, 3/5 is too much for a recap. Recaps deserve a straight 0 unless new material is added (like LOL Heroes did with its second recap).

Quote:
Why would we assume that they do not express an interest in any teen or older anime going to broadcast?

No, I'm saying that picking the bottom 8 from ANN's survey is more lucrative to them than picking the top 4. I hardly consider the top 4 from ANN's survey something aimed exclusively at an older audience, since the same can be said about the bottom 8. Mostly for financial reasons, of course. Since CR's ratings are generally high for about everything, it's quite safe to assume that there will be a few on the bottom more popular at CR than a few on the top, and since the ones on the top seem to be the more expensive ones, that would mean CR will be pocketing a lot more than they would by taking the risk with the top 4 at ANN.

It feels like I went in circles with this last paragraph, so I hope it at least delivered the point.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
... since the ones on the top seem to be the more expensive ones, that would mean CR will be pocketing a lot more than they would by taking the risk with the top 4 at ANN.
But since Crunchyroll won't offer a higher royalty rate than they can afford, any from the top 4 that they get will be as lucrative per view as any from the bottom 8, and will generate more views ~ both directly, and indirectly via audience that comes for one of the top four and stays around to also watch some more.

Other than One Piece, I don't see any strategic reason why they would splash out any substantial up front fee for any particular anime ~ if the production committee expects the anime to be popular, they can expect more views, and so expect more royalty income.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. I guess we've come to an agreement. Wink
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It actually seems like it will have a decent plot/storyline. And, some nice ecchi/fanservice, I wasn't expecting that. But, I guess I should have, seeing as she's a slot machine mascot :p Wasn't even planning to check this out, but the trailer made me change my mind. And, just another excuse to use my CR premium so I'm all in now!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I'm not sure I can really get behind a show that's basically an advertisement for the gambling industry

James Bond was the best franchise doing that than anything else. Laughing

The King of Harts wrote:
Sometimes the teasing is more fulfilling than the actual product; kind of like how some people enjoy Maxim more than Playboy.

Y'mean, enjoy Playboy more than Penthouse. Laughing

agila61 wrote:
That's what the series blurb says ~ the dealers are competing to collect 13 cards ...
... hmm, 13 cards, 13 weeks in a Japanese quarterly anime season. There's a startling coincidence. Wink

I predict a gripping drama involving a card a week and improbable female physiology physics.

I once helped out as a dealer during the university's annual winter festival. We had a competition on who could screw the most people. Laughing

Nah, the key for dealers is to have the most people betting on their table. So ya can't do that if you're screwing the bettors.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I once helped out as a dealer during the university's annual winter festival. We had a competition on who could screw the most people. Laughing

Nah, the key for dealers is to have the most people betting on their table. So ya can't do that if you're screwing the bettors.
From Rio's character design, it seems like that strategy would attract a lot of punters to her table. Unless you mean "screw the most people" as in "rip off".
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
why bother with fanservice if you can watch hentai

Because hentai is disgusting! Mad I'll take my sexualized cartoon girls without the rape, thank you...

This is the one I said I'll check out specifically because the hot chick on the cover. Whether or not I stick with it... well, we'll see. The Promo for it made it seem fun.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Banjo wrote:
why bother with fanservice if you can watch hentai

Because hentai is disgusting! Mad I'll take my sexualized cartoon girls without the rape, thank you...

This is the one I said I'll check out specifically because the hot chick on the cover. Whether or not I stick with it... well, we'll see. The Promo for it made it seem fun.

You're implying that all hentai features rape situations, which isn't true.

You should broaden your horizons and read some excellent consensual ero manga, like "Cheerful Eros Project" or "Swing-out Sisters" or something.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

From Rio's character design, it seems like that strategy would attract a lot of punters to her table. Unless you mean "screw the most people" as in "rip off".

Can't it be both? Laughing
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
I don't mind fanservice but the premise doesn't really look all that interesting. I do love poker however so I might check it out since I have a CR sub and if I'm particularly bored one day.

Hey, at least Rio's boobs jiggle at the same time and a realistic amount. Laughing
It's kinda sad I noticed that... >_>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3