• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
I, too, will agree. (OMG we're all agreeing! This is the zombie apocalypse apparently!)

Picked this up because of the themes, character designs, and Studio DEEN.

Loved it because it's not afraid to parody everything, even if the resulting situation is awkward and downright dirty, is already full of running gag jokes that are (surprisingly) related to the main plot (lack of magic on Maho Shoujo's part), and creative to the point that everything seems new and inspired. Instead of keeping you guessing like most shows do by presenting a conflict and mystery in the first episode, it just grabs you by the balls and starts running at full speed.

I, too, was a little upset at the male crotch pantie shot. But, whatever. I'll take the tiny dose of revulsion along with all of this fantastic stuff.

This one isn't up there with Level E for me and it's about even with Dragon Crisis to be completely honest.

Can't wait for the next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
it just grabs you by the balls and starts running at full speed.

As elegant as always Bento-Box.

And yes it does seem that we are all agreeing, it seems to be pretty warmly accepted by fans, except for people who are just haters or have no taste.

Personally I don't have a problem with the male panty shot, I guess it might have something to do with Baka to Test and Inukami being some of my favourite shows. Add Sora no Otoshimono into the mix and I am practicly immune to being particulary grossed out by that sort of stuff. Shocked Damn it I realised again what anime has done to me.
inuneechan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Randomly caught this on crunchyroll and fell in love within the first minute (then I had to change sites so i could watch the full episode ^__^).
Ayumu's panty shot was epic!!! but it was his flight of nudity and the magical transformation that gave me the nose bleeds. Being a yaoi fangirl was defiantly a perk while watching this. My mind, sadly, hit yaoi the moment I saw the evil crayfish's face pressed against the door... the dialogue only making it worse ^______^
I also thought that Haruna's reaction to Ayumu was priceless. Very self-centered and egotistical, i feel we are alot alike >.<

I will defiantly continue watching throughout the coming weeks to see if they can keep me laughing

They better show Ayumu's magical girl sequence again!!!
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
inuneechan wrote:

I will defiantly continue watching throughout the coming weeks to see if they can keep me laughing

Muwahahaha! Watch now as I defiantly watch an anime series for you cannot stop me! Muwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

And DuskyPredator - I'm just tellin it like it is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part about your comment, Bento-Box, is that you don't have balls to be grabbed, but you don't let that phase you. You just keep going on, and wait until the show lets go of your ghost balls. It's quite admirable and I give you the below the belt salute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good. It's got some things that I haven't seen. Like Mahou wrapped shonen?

Eww. I'm waiting for the armored chick to do something.

Here's to ep. 2
kiddtic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay ill be Honest. I didn't epect anything good from this show. It has zombie in the title for starters and i dislike zombies and its a studio DEEN show all things were looking south in the preview but then i watched it and it was Funny.

that transformation scene was hilarious I thnk I might watch this show all the way through it looks kinda fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Why did Ayumu's panty shot have to be like three times as long as Haruna's?! x.x

But anything that has cute necromancers and pink chainsaws is good in my book. Regardless of presence of...panty shots of...male crotch.

*blargh*

I was thinking of checking out the show then this comment came up and I realized I would just hate this show! The concept sounds awesome, but I have a feeling this is going to just be another medicore show as usual. I personally dont like comedy in my anime or fan service as it almost never amuses me or make me laugh.

I like the idea of the show but I guess anything with the word zombie gets my attention and then I realize this is not a 1950's horror movie. No big deal I have a huge back stock of older stuff I have not even watched yet.

Last edited by jsc315 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Olivine wrote:
Why did Ayumu's panty shot have to be like three times as long as Haruna's?! x.x

But anything that has cute necromancers and pink chainsaws is good in my book. Regardless of presence of...panty shots of...male crotch.

*blargh*

I was thinking of checking out the show then this comment came up and I realized I would just hate this show! The concept sounds awesome, but I have a feeling this is going to just be another medicore show as usual.

Or, another option, you could try actually watching the episode and then making a judgment about it at that point instead of just generalizing due to an internet post.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Olivine wrote:

*blargh*

I was thinking of checking out the show then this comment came up and I realized I would just hate this show! The concept sounds awesome, but I have a feeling this is going to just be another medicore show as usual.

Or, another option, you could try actually watching the episode and then making a judgment about it at that point instead of just generalizing due to an internet post.

True but I then realized my post sounded stupid and had to edit it. I'm not the typical anime fan here. The majority of anime I won't and watch is nothing recent at all. I may like one or 2 shows a season and thats about it.

Most modern anime just gets on my nerves to much to be honest. I hate fan service in just about any anime I watch and completely takes me out of the show and just kills the mood. Hope that clears up everything. It's nothing against generalizing the show or hate for it but I know most likely I will not like it as I have tried so many times before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Wow it looks like I'm completely alone on this one and I mean literally cause the staff on the preview guide all enjoyed this one as well.

Overall though the episode was just so so for me. Perhaps it is because it took me a little to realize it was a parody, I dunno. Even when everything came together at the end though I was kind of still just watching in silence. Maybe I'm really the zombie and am the one that is dead inside Anime dazed.

I did enjoy how they got right to the point and we didn't spoiler[need to go through the generic events of him turning into a zombie, cause that's not really the point of this show. ]

I can see why some people might have enjoyed it though, I guess it just didn't click for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Can I just rant a bit about the talk of him being a zombie? It is pissing me off with people complaining that he doesn't eat brains, neither do most zombies in fiction, as far as I am aware brain eating came from one movie ages back that for some reason people keep talking about it. I mean why would a zombie eat brains, flesh was adopted from the idea of being mindless which came from voodoo like legends of reanimated corspes that no longer have a will or mind of their own. I mean by comparison the character is not a voodooist but a necromancer, and their legends were often along the lines of summoning spirits with some mention of able to give them their body.

He is a reanimated corpse and as Hellscythe said his spirit was also brought back, he gets called a zombie as he doesn't really have another name, and undead is really a catagory then what he is. I do wonder if Hellscythe can exocise control over him. Also with a vampire coming into the mix, would make her also a fellow undead who can not walk in the sunlight. Wonder if that will come into play.

Also been thinking that Haruna's powers are obviously being sucked up by Ayumu like a sponge, isn't it a bit stupid on her part to hang around him. I guess she is not the genious she claims to be, I hope that gets pointed out.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
My favorite part about your comment, Bento-Box, is that you don't have balls to be grabbed, but you don't let that phase you. You just keep going on, and wait until the show lets go of your ghost balls. It's quite admirable and I give you the below the belt salute.

LOLZ - ghost balls. Such a great way to describe a tomboy like me. Anime smile

I've been trying to be a girly girl over the past few years, but sometimes my true nature shows.

Well, I guess I could have said, "it just grabs you by your boobs and runs at full speed" then, I guess it would be more accurate for my physique. I don't think the guys on here would be able to relate to that statement though... or would they? Wink

Also, jsc315, I agree with you about liking only one or two shows a season or even completing them. Since I've started following the seasons and not working on my anime room (totally backlogged with purchases for all eternity), I've found that I have a ton of "dropped", "may finish", and "stalled" shows each year. When I was counting them up for my summary of my 2010 viewing year, I realized I dropped or stalled on just as many as I had watched! Compare that to the 2009 and 2008 years where I only stalled on 3-4 series and completed between 15 (2008) and 35 (2009). It's a drastic change and makes me feel like I'm leaving too many loose ends.
So, screen them however you must! Smile I've been trying to give each show at least 4-5 episodes to draw me in before I drop it. My usual tolerance is 3 episodes.

Darksorrow29 - don't feel bad. It took me about 10 minutes to catch on to the parody as well. I was expecting something more like Shakugan no Shana for some reason (even though there were no implications that it would be like Shana). Eventually, I just had to turn my brain off, stop thinking about it and, as I'll now say, let it grab me by my boobs and start running with it. Smile

DuskyPredator - yeah, the "zombie" thing is bothering me as well. When you think about it in terms of necromancy being used to fuse the body and soul of a deceased person, that seems much more like a concept of the "undead". Thinking of him as an undead certainly fits the situation much better considering he has a thought process. The Zombie label seems like a money grab to me. It's like they're using it to play off a popular trend in movies and shows.
Were you referring to George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead? I remember that being a movie that either introduced zombies or just kinda brought their "story" to light. I don't really remember where the brain eating came from or if it was even in that movie.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
How do you not get the parody aspect of it when he screams out "Oh, I'm a zombie!" and get's banged by a semi? I thought it was pretty obvious at that point.

Also, I, too, expected something like Shakugan no Shana. I think it's because of the idea of a Necromancer + Dead Guy sounds a lot like SnS since Shana revives Yuji. And then there's also the fact that there's a badass sword wielder ($10 says she's a tsundere). I also happen to think Deen looks very similar to JC Staff, but that's probably my fault for not being able to tell between Generic Design #1 and Generic Design #2. The trailer also hinted nothing at a comedy and only reinforced the SnS thoughts. However, I'm actually really happy it's gone down this route because I find this much better.

Quote:
Well, I guess I could have said, "it just grabs you by your boobs and runs at full speed" then, I guess it would be more accurate for my physique. I don't think the guys on here would be able to relate to that statement though... or would they?

I don't know, I have a nice set of moobies (man boobies) myself, and if stereotypes are anything to go by, so do most anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
@ Bento-Box - Well I think I have been saying for a while that Zombies and or simular dark themes are the new moe. I belive it was the 1985 movie "Return of the Living Dead" which was actually partialy comedic, I have not seen it myself, but I don't know of many other fictions (specificlly movies) where zombies wanted brains. I did this little bit of searching of information when HOTD was being released.

Well hopefully zombies won't evolve into anime where they are literelly the new moe and each season has undead cuties in a harem, hungering for the sweet flesh of the lead (and not in a normal zombie way). ..... Great now I am intersted in a show like that, what vampires have already been done, now I really want a show to have an undead harem, who do I write to for one to be be made?

And on it being like Shana, yeah I too kind of got a Shana vibe like story from the zombie guy and Hellscythe, while his story with Haruna kind of reminds me of Bleach with Rukia passing her job onto Ichigo. I am hoping if that is the case that they are meant to be parodies of encounters then they give one with the vampire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12