• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pacific Media Expo 2005

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
Seeing as it's a little late for AX to go about stealing your guests, :lol: , when do we get to find out who's coming?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Seeing as it's a little late for AX to go about stealing your guests, Laughing , when do we get to find out who's coming?

As many cons have the same problem, usually confirmation of the guests would occur as late as 2 weeks before the convention. As of now, we have officially aquired Daisuke Moriyama, creator of Chrno Crusade and Rex Navarette, Filipino-American comedian.

During the current moment, we are talking with certain possible GoHs who have worked associated with Square Enix. As far as music guests go, we're trying to grab artists that aren't majorly known, but enough people do know about them. Brocolli wants to push the band, Yousei Teikoku to come to PMX, but it doesn't seem like anyone knows about them. So it's basically if we want to take that gamble.

The guest announcements will hopefully be announced soon. *crosses fingers*

Diem Pham
PMX 2005 Info Desk Staffer

Last edited by midori kou on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Probably no chance in hell of it, but I'd go it you could get Otomo.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
For those of you interested to have a fan panel or industry panel, there is an online form that is now available for you to fill out.

http://pacificmediaexpo.com/reg/pmx2005/panel-form.html

Diem Pham
PMX2005 Information Desk Staff Member
belly button lint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
ugh. i'd love to go, especially since i had a BAD AX experience. i got in as industry, but my friends and i were told by staffers that since we're not a big contributor to the convention (viz, adv, etc), we're nobody. wasn't aware i had to pay big $$ to be treated nicely.. blahblah blah.. huge run-around. not going to rant anymore about it. Evil or Very Mad

anyway.. beginning of sept is a bad time for me, especially since i don't live in so. cal. it'd be nice if it was around mid august? maybe next year...
YoureMyHiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I've heard good things about PMX and hope to make it down this year. Im from NorCal so its a little road trip for me. The only things Im concerned about are gaming and a possible dance as I like to throw down and get down.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda disappointed with PMX's guests. Crying or Very sad Last year they had names like T.M.Revolution, Psycho le Cemu, and Nami Tamaki. This year there's nothing anywhere near that status, and it's kinda sad. =/ I'd rather only one big name band instead of a bunch of small acts. No offense to the music artists signed, but it just really pales in comparison to last year. Everyone was expecting something amazing again. Last year's guests were the sole reason I dropped everything and attended! This year I don't really care anymore. x_X
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
Michi:

You're not the only one who's disappointed. Many are. But there's nothing we can do to get a big name for this year and especially this late in the game. There were talks to have the J-Rock band, Kagrra at PMX but we hadn't heard from the company for a while. Avex gave us Kumiko Kato and Broccoli helped us to get Yousei Teikoku. It really depends on what offers are given to us by the companies or the schedules of these artists.

Also, Mike Tatsugawa did stated that he wanted attendees to experience concerts at a "Tier 1" level and as well expose some of the talent from Asian decent that does exist in the US. Unfortunately, the balancing act wasn't done too well but it's a new way of planning and will change in due time.

However, Guests of Honors and programming are an impressive bunch this year even though they're not music related. So it's not a complete loss.

Diem Pham
PMX2005 Infomation Desk Staff Member
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Shit Woah!! I would have dropped everything to see Kagrra! How sad. ;_;

Personally, I worry about the state of PMX when things like this happen, just because it seems like the people who run this convention don't realize that 5/6ths of their fans/past attenders are only in it for the rock scene. (No offense meant.) No J-pop/rock, no attendees, no con. Now that the guests have been announced, I'm hearing the same thing from everyone: "Oh, then I don't think I'll go. That sucks." Then agian, maybe it's just me. ^_^; I just think it's weird that PMX appear to b shrinking rather than growing.

At least this gives J-rock Connection a good leg up, because now all the let down fans are looking into this little con. :D It's always nice to see a tiny con get appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PMX411

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
Seiji Mizushima announced as Director Guest of Honor

Mr. Mizushima has directed a number of hit shows including Dai-Guard, Slayers Next, and Shaman King (which appears during the 4Kids TV programming block on the Fox network). He has built a loyal audience through the TV series Fullmetal Alchemist, shown in the U.S. on Cartoon Network during Adult Swim. He was also the director of the critically acclaimed Fullmetal Alchemist movie that debuted in Japan in July 2005.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Pacific Media Expo is proud to welcome Mr. Koichi Ohata as its second Director Guest of Honor.

Mr. Ohata was the mecha designer for classics such as Gunbuster and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack. His directorial career includes Blue Gender, MD Geist, and now the hit FUNimation series Burst Angel.
AL429

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Darn, did no one went to this one but me on this here boards? Sad It's been almost 2 weeks so let me try to remember what I saw there, and bear with me as I was only there for one day.

So it was Saturday, and I had no plans and I remembering hearing about PMX happening in Long Beach so I decided, "why not it's only about an hour drive from where I lived" so I went........and mostly I knew one exhibitor there that's going to be there and wanted to see them. Smile

Long story short:

The Guests of Honor was pretty good this year as PMX managed to get some good anime related guests. Still can't believe that Seiji Mizushima made it there after just 2 weeks after Otakon. Good job on that one.

Again, the guests of honor panels were nice.

As far as music guests and performances goes, they were smaller acts compare to last year, but PMX is really experimenting with many different things this year.

Like the fact that PMX is still promoting new and different stuff than just anime, manga, or J-Pop Music. Examples: having comedian Rex Navarrete, Japanese Pro-Wresting, Asian "live action" Cinema, and of course Airsoft.

The Exhibits were nice but small and there weren't a whole lot of vendors there. Pretty good amount of anime and manga related art drawings and works of that sorts, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Not a lot of the so called anime licensing companies or any North American Anime Industry Insiders was there. Sure some of them sponsored the event, but one would think that they would at least have a booth or panel planned at the convention. Little to no press coverage on the event on any of the anime-related news sites.

I saw Go Fish Pictures / DreamWorks there, and they had a booth at the exhibit hall too. I didn't see any sign of Funimation on Saturday but they were supposed to have a panel scheduled for Sunday, which I wasn't there as I was only there on Saturday during the day. Of course ToFu Records and Broccoli were there. Didn't see high or hare of Bandai or Viz.

They have a good line up of Asian "live action" movies in the video screening part, but not much new anime.

They did ran some very interesting things at night though that other cons don't do.

PMX 2005 pales in comparison to Anime Expo 2005 in size and popularity, sorry to say. Chalk it up to bad timing as there was one other notable anime-con going on that weekend, AnimeFest in Texas.

Still, I had a good time non-of-less and got to see and meet all the folks I wanted to meet. Just so you all know, I was there for the airsoft as that's one of my other active hobbies I have these days. BTW, did I mentioned that this was actually the first time I attended an anime-related sort of con of this type.

Waiting to see what they will have next year. Again, I don't mind going to the smaller cons as they are often more interesting, have more surprises, and often less crowded than the larger ones, IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2