• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
How much of those feelings are due to the spoiler[attempted abortion] scene instead of his indomitable optimism I wonder?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much anything related to Grave of the Fireflies is a tearjerker. I need to watch my Sentai BD copy of it, but I fear I will cry all over it again.

I was not blown away by 5 Centimeters Per Second, but I agree that the ending song packs a ton of emotion.

EDIT: another personal tearjerker of mine is the whole scene in Code Geass when spoiler[Suzaku kills Lelouch].

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The biggest tearjerker for me is actually Trigun as pretty much Vash's entire life has been a fate worse than death.

spoiler[Beginning with his birth into the world, surrounded by people who don't understand him and his brother, kept as little better than a science experiment and considered monsters by most of the people there. Only to be betrayed by the one person who should have been there for him, his surrogate mother murdered as well as anyone who would have treated him decently. Living for dozens of years to see friends live and die, some who undoubtedly turned on him for being a monster. Also being in a constant war against himself while desperately trying to hold onto the memories of the only person he ever loved while trying to bring her message to a world that will not listen. ]

Last edited by trilaan on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahiru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I swear every other episode of Natsume's Book of Friends makes me cry too. I don't know if it would qualify as an honorable mention, but something about the show gets me every time, dagnabbit.

Ugh, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Some other (personal) honorable mentions:

*Fantastic Children when Tohma spoiler[learns who he really is and everything that happened so many lives ago.]
*Rosette and Chrono's spoiler[death scene.] That one felt like a total manipulation, but it got me anyway! Embarassed
*The final episode of Kurau gets me every time...

Agree with Gunbuster and Wolf's Rain, too.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's too bad that was the last time Jun Maeda actually wrote a decent ending.

I... can't really refute that. There were some emotional stories, but that had a real honesty and quality you just didn't get after that point, where they felt less like conclusion to a story and more "the part where you get to cry". It's a shame.
Hawkwing wrote:
I would like to nominate Clannad/Clannad After Story.

I've watched most of the anime that was listed, but no scene there could even compare to the scenes in Clannad. Anime cry

AnoHana's was more histrionic, Grave of the Fireflies's was better written and more firmly integrated into the actual essential story. It is impressive how Clannad combines both, I'll admit. I can really only argue for After Story; Air murdered every random harem girl's storyline conclusion bar spoiler[Nagisa's].

I agree wholeheartedly with number one, though. That sequence was more than heartbreaking, it was art.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me, I should probably watch Grave of the Fire Flies soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penfold1999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This is a highly subjective category by nature, but Grave of the Fireflies is intensely moving. I am a huge fan of Shinkai, but 5cm/s is not my favorite, but I would include in my version of this list, The Place Promised in our Early Days when Sayuri wakes at the end is always a tearjerker for me.

And agree as well about Natsume's Book of Friends.

And also agree about the Steins;gate sequence.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ahiru wrote:

*Fantastic Children when Tohma spoiler[learns who he really is and everything that happened so many lives ago.]

I totally agree!!!!
wrizenberg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
About the new poll: My number one Alice was Alice Carroll from Aria; She's so Alice that there is no second pick.

Totally. I'm amazed she isn't here. Oh, and now I have to watch it again.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
My personal examples.

-Nami's backstory in One Piece. Out of all the Straw Hats, hers was the most heartbreaking.
-spoiler[Hughes'] death in Fullmetal Alchemist.
-spoiler[Asuma's] death in Naruto and the way Hidan taunted Shikamaru after it during their battle.
-Goku reuniting with spoiler[Grandpa Gohan] in Dragon Ball.
-Future Trunks going Super Saiyan for the first time in Dragon Ball Z. The BGM in the dub made it more intense along with Eric Vale's voice acting, which for 2000 was pretty good at the time for dubbing.
-The first episode of Yu Yu Hakusho. Does that even need a spoiler tag?
-The end of season one for Sgt. Frog when the Keronians spoiler[have to go back to their home planet].
-The finale to Azumanga Daioh.
-America's flashbacks with Britain in Hetalia.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I didn't feel a thing when the song started playing in 5cm, and I've known the feelings felt by the MC before. Just nothing, and I don't like that song either.

One of the scenes that hit me the biggest in anime was Chroniko's Boots from Kaiba. I remember that being the episode that solidified people watching the show when it was iffy before.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lain's Abandonment

Ouch. For such an emotionally cold series I remember this one hitting me pretty hard. I think there's an earlier scene where her parents vanish for a day and she keeps coming back to their room to see if they're still gone. There's just something kind of heart-braking about it.

The only anime that's ever made me actually cry was Figure 17, specifically a scene in episode 10. If you've seen the show you probably know which part I'm talking about.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
so many drama scenes came to my mind, one from Thunder Jet which was unexpected at all.. But I have to agree that Grave of the Fireflies is so tragic so sad. Confused
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
-Nami's backstory in One Piece. Out of all the Straw Hats, hers was the most heartbreaking.

While I agree that Nami's past was heartbreaking (and indeed Arlong Park is my personal favorite OP arc), I do not think that it is nearly as heartbreaking as Nico Robin's. In terms of the magnitude of losses between them, it's not even close.

I also have to support walw's choice of Chroniko from Kaiba. Seeing that forlorn look on that mother's face as she played the piano as images of Chroniko's past come to light are truly heartwrenching.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Two tear-jerkers for me that I haven't seen mentioned:

The entire episode 21 (Morning without Dawn) of Noir, especially the part with Yuki Kajiura's haunting Indio (on the album See Saw) as background music.

The scene in Koi Kaze when Koshiro and Nanoka visit their mother together, then sit on a pier in the dark talking about their future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10