• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hikaru no Go Solicited

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yahooo!! It's finally licensed! How long have i waited for this?

*Goes off to preorder at RightSTuf.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Fast? Hikaru no Go's been off the air for two years. It's long overdue if you ask me.

I meant fast if you compare how long we went from this afternoon's "hey, HNG might be liscenced, maybe!" story to confirmation. Usually stories like those aren't verified for months.

Keep in mind that though popular shows might get picked up before they even finish running, like Gundam SEED Destiny, an anime like Hikaru no Go will fill a very small part of the anime market in North America with its niche topic-status in the US. Before I read the manga, I had never heard of go, only shogi.

And yes, Bleach needs to get licensed by Funimation. I can see it going on Toonami while its waiting for new episodes of Naruto to be translated, right alongside Yu Yu Hakusho, another Studio Pierrot title.

I wouldn't count on it... Shueisha and Viz have a tendency to be tied hand in hand... moreover, Bleach would probably be more appropriate for Adult Swim. As Inu Yasha starts to die down more, Bleach can keep things going for Viz.

Yes, but in the past, key Shueisha titles have been licensed by other companies. Just some big ones that jump to my mind: Dragonball/DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, Shaman King, and Rurouni Kenshin.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Fast? Hikaru no Go's been off the air for two years. It's long overdue if you ask me.

I meant fast if you compare how long we went from this afternoon's "hey, HNG might be liscenced, maybe!" story to confirmation. Usually stories like those aren't verified for months.

Keep in mind that though popular shows might get picked up before they even finish running, like Gundam SEED Destiny, an anime like Hikaru no Go will fill a very small part of the anime market in North America with its niche topic-status in the US. Before I read the manga, I had never heard of go, only shogi.

And yes, Bleach needs to get licensed by Funimation. I can see it going on Toonami while its waiting for new episodes of Naruto to be translated, right alongside Yu Yu Hakusho, another Studio Pierrot title.

I wouldn't count on it... Shueisha and Viz have a tendency to be tied hand in hand... moreover, Bleach would probably be more appropriate for Adult Swim. As Inu Yasha starts to die down more, Bleach can keep things going for Viz.

Yes, but in the past, key Shueisha titles have been licensed by other companies. Just some big ones that jump to my mind: Dragonball/DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, Shaman King, and Rurouni Kenshin.

While this is true, Viz also already has the manga rights. Typically, if they already have the manga rights, they also tend to get the anime rights as well. In fact, from what I'm aware of, Viz has first option to license the anime if they are distributing the manga. (with Shueisha anyway)

I'd be very surprised if Viz didn't announce Bleach by the time Anime-Expo comes around. Granted, I could be wrong, (and I'll gladly admit it if I am) but I don't expect that I am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

While this is true, Viz also already has the manga rights. Typically, if they already have the manga rights, they also tend to get the anime rights as well. In fact, from what I'm aware of, Viz has first option to license the anime if they are distributing the manga. (with Shueisha anyway)

I'd be very surprised if Viz didn't announce Bleach by the time Anime-Expo comes around. Granted, I could be wrong, (and I'll gladly admit it if I am) but I don't expect that I am.

Personally I'm hoping that Bleach isn't picked up for some time. I mean it's only on episode 34 in Japan so it wouldn't take long for a US adaption to catch up if it gets picked up this early. Then we'll be stuck waiting forever for any new episodes after it's caught up to the Japanese release. I think Bleach will have a much better chance of getting picked up once it's past episode 50, especially since it's unknown on how long it's actually going to run.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Personally I'm hoping that Bleach isn't picked up for some time. I mean it's only on episode 34 in Japan so it wouldn't take long for a US adaption to catch up if it gets picked up this early. Then we'll be stuck waiting forever for any new episodes after it's caught up to the Japanese release. I think Bleach will have a much better chance of getting picked up once it's past episode 50, especially since it's unknown on how long it's actually going to run.

That really depends on if there is to be a television run in the first place. Even if there is, the company that gets this has to announce it, start production work on it, etc, so that by the time it would be shown, it would be well past episode 50 in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2