• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues 1,337 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matrixdude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
For a second I thought this was a joke article because of the title, 1337. I wonder what sub group's torrent they chose to follow, and if not all of them live in Texas, can they really be charged under Texas law or will they have to file more lawsuits in additional states?
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
They could offer it in the highest definition possible, and it'd still be pirated. That and there are people are still in the mindset of "But we're making it available to a broader audience that can't see it!" Obviously the best solution would be to actually let Toei know they need to allow streams outside of the US.

Either way, I find it hilarious that 1337 pirates pirating a pirate anime are in trouble. To hell with the haters.
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I'm against companies suing people over stuff like this. I feel like companies should adapt to the way things are changing (unlike the music industry). It's almost a law that if you have a business that wants to keep competitive edge and stay relevant, then you have to continue to grow & change.

But the fact Funimation has adapted and has continue to adapt to their market is more than enough justification. I mean, they are streaming the same episodes that people are pirating. Not only that but they've come out with their classic line, slim packs, S.A.V.E., and even their new LE boxsets. They keep trying to change to fit the needs of their target market. And people still don't appreciate it.

As much as I'd love to see Fractale (or insert any anime here) in 720p streaming quality, I've realized that it's much more important to support the cause. Watching anme in standard def will not kill me. I'll live. And if I'm basically getting it for free and not having to worry about getting in trouble weeks or months down the road, then why wouldn't I just stream it.

I'll have to side with Funi on this one. Good luck.
Daizo

matrixdude wrote:
I wonder what sub group's torrent they chose to follow

According to the hash, it's the 720p mkv release by yibis, a group who has their domain registered through GoDaddy and has their site hosted on OVH. To be honest, I think it'd be much more productive and cheaper for FUNi to cause grievance to the source than the downloaders. This current ordeal is just Hurt Locker -level silliness that will most likely end up biting FUNi back.
steev-sama

Kougeru wrote:
Also this wouldnt happen if 720p streams were available. Except for the people that REALLY are thieves. Most people I know only watch pirated because streaming quality is terrible on today's monitors.

Yea, but more than likely those are the people who downloaded the Funi sub, which is a direct rip of the crappy stream they have. Much more of a slap in the face and more understandable why Funimation would sue them. But this does seem like a joke... I mean, 1337 pirates?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they specifically picked 1337 people...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
all they need is three thousand more

Edit: Thirty, sorry. Damn math.

Last edited by prime_pm on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
I hope so. Funimation seems to have a sense of humor.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

I have no doubt they did.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
This has got to be a joke. 1337 pirates? Have we seen any actual court documents, or anything of that sort? Does Funimation even have the money to sue over a thousand people?

If this is real, I won't buy another Funimation release. Does Funimation really want to go the music industry route of actively turning its own fans against them? That didn't exactly work out that well for the music industry, and I can't imagine it working well for Funimation.

We all knew something had to be done about piracy, but I think most of us were hoping that someone would go after the DISTRIBUTORS (the fansub groups, the rippers, the bootleggers, etc) and not their average fans, a lot of which are underage.

My mind is blown if this is real.
Zangofett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Lol, FUNi never ceases to amaze me, they HAD to have picked the number 1337 on purpose.
mangamuscle

So Funi finally went to the dark side and started suing their supporters. Yeah, it has been proven time and time again that those people seeing the fansubs were the people that buyed the DVDs when they were released. So Funi will see a decrease in revenue from DVD sales in the long run, but an increase in revenue from legal settlements in the short run that is, I am surprised people in the USA do not use anonymizers.
Tsukento

captainbanana wrote:
Does Funimation really want to go the music industry route of actively turning its own fans against them? That didn't exactly work out that well for the music industry, and I can't imagine it working well for Funimation.

Terrible analogy. The music industry doesn't exactly let you hear entire albums for free. FUNi hosts several anime series' for free.

That and they're not strong-arming innocent people.

mangamuscle wrote:
So Funi finally went to the dark side and started suing their supporters.

Last I checked, none of FUNi's episodes aren't available for download. So I don't see how that's supporting them.

Last edited by Tsukento on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I see this as Funimation trying to prove a point to Japan. They just got over that Fractale business, and have previously been the cause of some leaks. I see this as them trying to show Japan they care, and won't take piracy lightly.

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of what's going on here beyond what's in the news post, same as you guys.

That said, I doubt Funimation put this lawsuit together between last Wednesday and now. I'm not a lawyer nor experienced in any legal matters, really, but I suspect it takes a bit longer than that to put together a suit.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
(And count me in on those that laughed at the 1337 number - really? That's how many are involved? Anime hyper)
That's when they decided to close the list and lodge the suit. Obviously it could have been 1,340 or 1,330 just as easily, so ... yeah of course they deliberately picked 1,337.

Funimation is suing elite torrent users.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27