• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tenchi Muyo! OVA Series BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rednal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
Tenchi also holds tight to the somewhat unusual detail that it's ultimately an incestual harem, since just about every character of note is related to the others somehow...

Though, in fairness, some of them are far enough apart that I don't think Japanese law would have any trouble with it. Tenchi and Mihoshi, for example.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well according to Ayeka, it's acceptable in her culture/on her planet to marry within her family, so I guess it's a bit different.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
This was the series that relit the anime gas burner inside my head which is still burning today. I first saw the uncut version on the Sci-Fi UK channel as it was called back then in 1999/2000. It was a reawakening, but I didn't know it was catagorised as "harem", but no matter I thourghly enjoyed it enough to finally get to making use of that new fangled thangy called the intarweb to research and investigate more and when I got on to the otherside of the IP gate I found myself standing on a bright beach staring out at the vast Sea of Anime from the Bay of Manga. There's one other aspect of all things Tenchi Muyo, that Kajishima Masaki always has in his pen and paper, and that is the concept of "universal relations", or to coin it another way "universal incest". In his mind the universe, in which Tenchi and co live, there isn't any medical, physical, or psychological damage caused by incest in any way, so everyone, no matter where, or what planet, galaxy, the whole universe, is somehow related to everyone else.
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Tenchi isn't that related to Ayeka and Sasami. They were Yosho's half-sisters. The following number is just averages but full siblings average to about 50% DNA commonality. 1st cousins have about 25%. Tenchi and Ayeka (or Sasami) have like 6.25% commonality.

Although I ultimately don't care if they were, and would like to see Tenchi shacking up with Achika.

BTW Rednal, I don't see your link, it's giving off a 404 error. You should probably use postimage or something, many sites don't like being linked to from the outside - especially images.

Last edited by jibrilmudo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo! had a profound affect on me. I still remember the original Toonami promos. Up until that point, I was only accustomed to things like Dragon Ball Z. I owe my love of anime to this series, there can be no doubt. Therefore, my nostalgia is quite, shall we say, potent. I'm in love with the dub, for one, and I think it's perfectly cast. I realize that I am unable to approach it from an objective position, but there it is.

I believe that this blu-ray was done using the HD masters from Japan, so it should look swell. I own it, but have't watched it yet. I expect it to look exceptional. These OVA's are my favorite entries in the series, as I feel that Tenchi Universe too often veers into sitcom territory.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
jibrilmudo wrote:

Although I ultimately don't care if they were, and would like to see Tenchi shacking up with Achika.
Laughing Wasn't Achika his mother in the first movie? Laughing
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
jibrilmudo wrote:

Yep & that would be worse than him picking Sasami or Ayeka. But IIRC, wasn't his mom in Tenchi Universe/Tenchi in Love named Achika, but was named Kiyone in the OVAs? It was stuff like that that always confused me about the series.

belvadeer wrote:
Again with more ripping on the dub. Have you heard Japanese Ayeka, Carl? She's too damn shrill.

Some of the voices that they chose for the eng dub sound like it was a joke with the way they sound(especially Tenchi's VA like mentioned in the review).

The one thing that always bugged me across the whole series is that in the english dub, certain character's names are never pronounced right(Ryoko & Ayeka were obvious ones).

Last edited by tangytangerine on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
jibrilmudo wrote:

yes she is
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't count anyway because none of the movies were OVA canon, or anything to do with Kajishima, apart from the designs of the main characters.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
1 and 3 are cannon with Tenchi Universe.
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious why the English dub version of Here Comes Jurai Part 2 wasn't included in this release. All that is available is Japanese w/English subs, despite it being available on the Pioneer DVDs for years. Confused
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
jibrilmudo wrote:

They look like a cute couple to me:)

http://postimage.org/image/gudnssn3h/

(And yes, that's official, not fan, art.)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
Ryoko was at her best in those first couple of episodes, too. I don't think her drunken confession (with flashback) to Ayeka in episode 5--spoiler[that she'd watched over Tenchi since he was a kid and just wanted to be by his side (why try to kill him in episode 1, then?!)]--did her character no favors at all in my opinion.

There's also the fact that someone who is supposedly a tough, dangerous fighter spoiler[(because she's essentially a war robot)] never wins a fight with anyone and even gets bullied into doing chores by a tiny old woman.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
Ryoko was at her best in those first couple of episodes, too. I don't think her drunken confession (with flashback) to Ayeka in episode 5--spoiler[that she'd watched over Tenchi since he was a kid and just wanted to be by his side (why try to kill him in episode 1, then?!)]--did her character no favors at all in my opinion.
She was just playing with him, and testing him at the same time. spoiler[She knew who he really was before Tenchi himself discovered it, because he had her gems in that sword hilt, and she wanted them back badly. She was entombed by his grandfather Yousho, and though her physical body was laying in her tomb, her spirit was able to venture outside, but only in it's general vicinity.She wasn't a "war robot", but the true "daughter of distruction" responsible for the complete extermination of no less than 27 planets with their entire intelligent race of beings and other lifeforms with them. Mass murder and genocide on an interplanetary scale. All for the sake of seeking relics relating to anything about the Jurian Goddesses, hence her attack on Jurai itself. But without her power source the gems, and no more influence from her master Kagato, her attitude mellowed within those 700 years, and then watching Tenchi grow up when he visited the tomb shrine only helped that along. But she also knew only a true decendant of Yousho could be able to touch the sword without serious injury. ] Wink
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with the harem genre. Both "Tenchi" and "Rosario + Vampire" are pretty good examples of this. It's a shame there aren't more quality entries in this genre. I'd really like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4