• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion and other inspirations for Pacific Rim.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The rocket punch?

Yeah where was this from? I'm sure I've seen it in anime but I can't for the life of me think where. I wanna say Big O but that wasn't really a rocket. More of a big piston.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah where was this from? I'm sure I've seen it in anime but I can't for the life of me think where. I wanna say Big O but that wasn't really a rocket. More of a big piston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX469Ftb-m4
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:29 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
From the beginning Guillermo Del Toro has made it clear his main inspiration was Kaiju movies (Godzilla and the like). The monsters in the movie are even called kaiju.

Yeah, even from the trailers, I was getting more "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla" (90's version) vibes than anything remotely Eva or Gundam.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
From the beginning Guillermo Del Toro has made it clear his main inspiration was Kaiju movies (Godzilla and the like). The monsters in the movie are even called kaiju.

Yeah, even from the trailers, I was getting more "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla" (90's version) vibes than anything remotely Eva or Gundam.

Yeah well del Toro said that after reading script his thoughts went over all of animes and mangas that he had seen(here is that interview if you are interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4amXT0sztA).However he explicitly mentioned that his influences are Tetsujin 28 and Patlabor ,and that he has never seen Evangelion.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However he explicitly mentioned that his influences are Tetsujin 28 and Patlabor ,and that he has never seen Evangelion.

Having seen the movie I find this hard to believe, as there are several scenes that are more or less directly lifted from Eva, even including obvious visual similarities. Whether or not it's intentional Eva fans will get a real kick out of this movie, similar to how I'd recommend Black Swan to Perfect Blue fans.

Quote:
That said, for a couple of days after watching it I was desperately and hopelessly pining for a live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion movie

Same here.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

and that's bad how?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I'm sure that interests the average movie-goer more than listing some random Japanese cartoons. They know what Godzilla is, not Tetsujin or Mazinger, but that doesn't change the clear heavy anime influences of the film. I imagine Godzilla is just better for PR and interview purposes.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
EricJ wrote:

and that's bad how?!

Not at all, for those who liked the "Team Mechagodzilla" ace-mech-squadron canon of the two movies. Very Happy
(And even the whole Godzilla Task Force canon from Biolante up through Destroyah.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
This is a really fun thread. I didn't see the movie yet, so I gotta ask: what are the similarities between this and Patlabor?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
^
Very few similarities exist between Patlabor and Pacific Rim. You might as well ask what the similarities are between Cardcaptor Sakura and Black Swan.

Pacific Rim is based on Super Robot shows and kaiju monster movies. It is not based on a Real Robot show about a police force.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Tell that to del Toro http://imgur.com/JGr4hCP .
Quote:

Having seen the movie I find this hard to believe, as there are several scenes that are more or less directly lifted from Eva

Why would would del Toro who wears his influences like a badge,lie about seeing Evangelion?It makes zero sense.
EDIT:Oh yes if anyone thins that the image is illegitimate here you go http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/jul/03/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-webchat#comment-24848138 .
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay, he mentioned Patlabor, but I really didn't see any proper references or obvious similarities between the two.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Would have thought for sure Eva was a major influence (at least alongside various Kaiju flicks) but I guess not. Although, I suppose if Del Toro was influenced by a whole bunch of the same things that influenced Eva it would make sense that there'd be a lot of similarities.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I just watched returned home from watching the movie and I loved it; I came specifically for the robots and I wasn't disappointed with most of it except forspoiler[ how little screen time both Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon received]. My mouth dropped open during the first ten minutes of the film because of the spoiler[intensity of the fight.]I would love a prequel about the other Jeagars. Since I'm talking about the robots, in this video, Del Toro mentions how anime influenced the making of the film but he wasn't specific about which ones with the exception of Tetsujin 28. I didn't really see the connection between the mentioned anime and Pacific Rim but then again, I haven't finish or gotten to watching them.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I dig how it had obvious japanese influences but was still clearly Hollywood, making it kind of it's own thing. I'd actually like this to be the start of a trend, as opposed to movies based on any particular thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3